When did news outlet start reporting rumors as news

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeans94621, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

I was watching my local news this morning and they were quoting rumors about the upcoming iPad as if it was news. They were saying that the new iPad would be named iPad hd and would have lte and retina display. I thought I had slept for two days and had missed the Apple annoucement. I am just a little confused how they can report this as news when it hasn't happen yet. :confused:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The 24-hour news cycle means they have to dig - deep - sometimes for "news".

3. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

Yeah, apparently rumors > Apple

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

They're just pushing for more views, and they know that Apple rumors generate more views.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Reporting Apple rumors as news is my smallest criticism about todays news outlets.

6. Doombringer macrumors regular

Fact or not, the existence of rumors is news. People are talking about the iPad 3/iPad HD/etc. before the launch. It's news.

Tech predictions and buzz have been news since the get-go. I'm not one bit surprised.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Some news outlets already have the devices in hand for review. NDA however says that they can't report on them until after the Apple reveal.

8. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Yes it's news, but when media outlets present rumours as fact, it is misleading. I can't count the amount of times I've had conversations with people who tell me all about what the next iAnything will absolutely, no doubt have a particular feature or will go by a particular name because their news provider told them so.

This is also why I only read MacRumors for my Apple info. They are the best at giving an even handed story without misguiding anyone into believing rumors as facts.

----------

Do you actually believe that? If so, how many companies do you think already have the device?

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

fact is so overrated.

Welcome to Morning News :)

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

When did they start reporting rumors as news? The minute CNN went on the air.