When did news outlet start reporting rumors as news

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I was watching my local news this morning and they were quoting rumors about the upcoming iPad as if it was news. They were saying that the new iPad would be named iPad hd and would have lte and retina display. I thought I had slept for two days and had missed the Apple annoucement. I am just a little confused how they can report this as news when it hasn't happen yet. :confused:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The 24-hour news cycle means they have to dig - deep - sometimes for "news".

DenisAuermann

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
San Salvador, El Salvador
I was watching my local news this morning and they were quoting rumors about the upcoming iPad as if it was news. They were saying that the new iPad would be named iPad hd and would have lte and retina display. I thought I had slept for two days and had missed the Apple annoucement. I am just a little confused how they can report this as news when it hasn't happen yet. :confused:
Yeah, apparently rumors > Apple

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
They're just pushing for more views, and they know that Apple rumors generate more views.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Reporting Apple rumors as news is my smallest criticism about todays news outlets.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
Fact or not, the existence of rumors is news. People are talking about the iPad 3/iPad HD/etc. before the launch. It's news.

Tech predictions and buzz have been news since the get-go. I'm not one bit surprised.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Some news outlets already have the devices in hand for review. NDA however says that they can't report on them until after the Apple reveal.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Fact or not, the existence of rumors is news. People are talking about the iPad 3/iPad HD/etc. before the launch. It's news.

Tech predictions and buzz have been news since the get-go. I'm not one bit surprised.
Yes it's news, but when media outlets present rumours as fact, it is misleading. I can't count the amount of times I've had conversations with people who tell me all about what the next iAnything will absolutely, no doubt have a particular feature or will go by a particular name because their news provider told them so.

This is also why I only read MacRumors for my Apple info. They are the best at giving an even handed story without misguiding anyone into believing rumors as facts.

----------

Some news outlets already have the devices in hand for review. NDA however says that they can't report on them until after the Apple reveal.
Do you actually believe that? If so, how many companies do you think already have the device?