When did the United States become <fill in your choice of developing nation>?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Oct 23, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Year after year, we hear more reports of violence on the campaign trails in many other nations. Sure, the US has had mob violence in the past, but I thought we were moving past that.

There are the stories of a McCain supporter killing a black bear cub and posting Obama signs on them. We have stories of an Obama supporter assaulting a McCain volunteer in NYC.

And now we have people being attacked for simply supporting a candidate. It appears that a woman who was in the process of being robbed was then cut by her attacker because she had a McCain bumper sticker.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While the carving story is sickening, I havent seen any evidence he did it because of her supporting mccain, not from that link any way.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The answer to your question is simple. George Bush did this and we bought into it.

4. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Your examples of isolated incidents on the campaign trail aren't as good examples as: voter suppression; one out of six adults in jail; infant mortality rate; divide between super-rich and everyone else; increasing percentage of GDP to pay interest on national debt; murder rate; loss of right to privacy; loss of freedom of the press; corruption in government; Florida election in 2000; ...

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

What did George Bush do to cause additional violence on the campaign trail?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He divided this country like no leader ever has.

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Funny, I seem to remember him being voted into office (sort of) in a rather divided environment - a near 50/50 split among party lines.

8. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Division is one thing. Violence is another. I have no love for Joe Biden, and should his ticket win, I can only hope that a horrid medical malady strikes him from this planet. But, I have no desire to inflict physical harm on someone just because they think differently than me.

I don't remember Bushites, Goreites, or Kerryites acting like this.

The evidence is solely her allegation that the violence was a result of his noticing the bumper sticker. All reports are saying the same thing (obviously) - we won't know more until the guy is caught.

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Blaming Bush for the violent acts of individuals is quite a stretch. If you were going to blame Rush, Hannity, Huffington, and Daily Kos, you might have more of a point, but those people committing violent acts should hold the responsibility of those acts. George did not incite those people to violence.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Hating someone and hoping they would die is simply a lesser version of actually inflicting harm upon them.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You have got to be kidding. Neither of those two sites practice the kind of invective that is comparable to anything from Coulter, Hannity, Savage and the like. They're both partisan, sure but they're not even in the same league. Once again, I see a false equivalence.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They fan the flames as well, but Bush has certainly done nothing to put out the fire. Remember "You're either for us, or for the terr'rists"? Sorry- I stand by my statement.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but from several of the things I have seen in the past on Huffington Post and the Daily Kos, they are definitely trying to incite hatred towards republicans and GW specifically. Coulter is definitely one that I missed, but I see both sides at blame in this.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What a putrid thing to say. I don't envy the level of hatred you seem to be carrying around on a day-to-day basis.

Also, it would appear the "Zorro" impersonator didn't inflict much damage with his blade if she refused medical treatment after the attack.

Still doesn't make any of it right though...

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You are wrong. Hate speech is specifically banned on both those sites. My confession: I post on both of them. Not with the same user-name, mind.

Kos is full of mocking diaries, to be sure, and a lot of nuts and bolts talk about downticket races as well as diaries about cats and dogs, but there's a lot of good and factual writing there.

Go to freerepublic, redstate or little green footballs and compare, the smears and vileness are of a completely different order and dwell in some strange gutter of conspiracy, paranoia and hatred. This is a major problem for the Republican party; they're being run by wingnuts. Their base is deeply unappealing, most of them think John McCain hasn't been dirty enough in this election.

What's your basis for such a hateful statement?

16. Queso macrumors G4

Every election is divided, but Bush is the first president in a long while that America didn't immediately pull together behind once elected. And all the crap he and Cheney have since pulled regarding the Constitution has further fuelled the hatred in the country.

If you're going to wish medical maladies on anyone Neil there's two much more deserving candidates I can think of, only neither of them are standing this time.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just adding something to this story about this McCain volunteer with the B on her face. I've seen the picture, scratched rather than 'carved'... and it's mirror-reversed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08297/922320-100.stm

Funnily enough, it's the McCain campaign that are telling everyone that the B stands for Barack with no evidence at all. Is this the appropriate response to a crime?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly what I predicted.

Cant wait for this to come up at the GOP rallies.:rolleyes:

edit: can we get a link to the picture?

19. spikespike macrumors member

The world's always had its share of crazies, and the US is not automatically immune to them just because we have a per capita gdp of over 40k.

People are weird. This is an especially tense election, bound to bring out passions on both sides. I dont think this is especially anything new, though perhaps it is more pronounced at this stressful time in our nations history.

Think about it, 85% of people polled recently thought that the US is heading in the wrong direction. 85%. Thats the highest its been since people started keeping track in the mid 80s.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

modfail:D

Edit: ??? its backwards....and it doesnt even look like a cut. more like a burn.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, this is the press pic. See what I mean when I say it's mirror-reversed? And for those who say it might have been done when she was upside-down on the ground... all I'll say is that no-one draws the lower loop of a B first in one continuous stroke while in the midst of an assault.

If you draw a capital B, 95% of you will draw the upper loop first. I'll go out on a limb here and say she did this to herself.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Until there is video proof of what she's claiming, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. What's been reported so far smells bad.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Im gonna go out even further and state what ive been thinking since I first heard about this earlier today.

Sad attempt to get attention. Potential Mccain plant. Created controversy (like 90% of Mccains)

Edit: my fail comment was in regards to your post being completely blank, i had to quote you just to get the link, Modfail =P

(dont ban me!)

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

What's the relation of all this to "developing nation"?

Elections can be ugly in all nations, even developed ones.

Ignorance and prejudice exist even in developed nations, and have proven equally valid in motivating voters. Right?