When did Verizon start treating customers like crap???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gentlefury, Oct 14, 2012.

1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have been with Verizon for about 7 years now...because they have always had the best service and customer service!

I bought my iPhone 5 on a cross-upgrade (I have a dumb phone that is never updated, so I use it as a yearly upgrade line).

I have done this every other year for almost a decade without a problem.

I pick up my iPhone 5 at the Apple Store and ask if I have to go over to Verizon to get this on the right line and they said yes.

I go over to Verizon and ask a rep there if he can help me switch the phone to the right line and he immediately snaps:

"Nope, can't do it."

I said, ok, I've done this many many times without a problem.

"Yeah, well now that the iPhone has a SIM card you can't change it for 24 hours" with a massively sarcastic and snide tone. "Can't do anything for you"

I walked out and said, well thanks a lot for the attitude.

he says, "No Problem sir, have a great day!"

what a jerk!!!

I went to the best buy store next door and they spent an hour trying to get it resolved...but unfortunately they came to the same result...but were at least nice about it.

I went to the Apple store and told them the situation and they gave me a new SIM and got me up and running, no problem.

Why is Apple the only company that gives a crap anymore? VZW used to be extremely customer satisfaction oriented. Now they seem to really suck at that!

Another situation I had was with my iPhone 5 using extreme amounts of data even tho I'm using mostly Wifi.

The Verizon rep over the phone just kept going back and forth telling me she sees the data sessions I've used and I'm wrong.

I usually use 4-5GB/Month.....I used 3.5GB in a week!!! She just kept telling me that its me, and I can't dispute it until I go over my data....that is BS! I asked about the known issue of data over Wifi...and she said she knows nothing about it....and that google is not true...only opinion...even tho googling Verizon using data while on wifi brings up thousands of results.

I called Apple and they patiently tried to figure out the problem (since I already got the VZW update the day I got my phone) and suggested resetting the network settings on the phone. Well, the day I called Verizon I had used 800MB in a day and was on Wifi most of the day. I called on Fri. Since I reset my network settings (4 days ago) I have used 23MB....big difference...again, Verizon falls short on Customer service...and Apple leaves me happy.

WTF!?!?!

2. iAi macrumors 6502

Verizon wants their single user one device customers arms & legs or that they sell their kidneys and they prefer that their customers just keep staring at sexy beast iP5s for their ridiculously evil (for single users) shared data plan. :p

3. darster Suspended

With the data use on wifi, did you do an update on your phone? This was a known bug with Verizon. Your verizon software build should be 13.1

4. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

As I said in my above post, I got the Verizon update, day one.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I went through two sceanarios.
    1. Iphone 5 was never powered up and was able to cross the upgrade right over.

2. powered the iphone5 up and all hell broke loose.

""Yeah, well now that the iPhone has a SIM card you can't change it for 24 hours" with a massively sarcastic and snide tone. "Can't do anything for you"

Is correct and there isn't anything they can do. Something to do with the way the iphone 5 authenticates.

It took 61 hours for my iphone5 to drop the authentication.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

How old is the company? That's your answer. (Same with AT&T)

7. darster Suspended

Then the problem doesn't exist anymore. Because it was fixed with the update, so you could not have had the problem if you did it day 1.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've had nothing but terrific service from both AT&T and Verizon. Both accounts are just over twelve years old. I get great service, good connectivity, and a nice selection of smartphones. Oh sure, their not perfect, but no one is.

I can say one thing, they are every bit as good as Apple's great customer service, and I've been with Apple since 1991.

9. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow, how about you try reading before commenting.

10. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I don't think you can judge Verizon CS as a whole after only speaking to two reps. That being said I feel you pain with CS. I'm trying to work out an issue that has me dealing with Verizon and Time Warner. So far I've had a better experience with Verizon, but in these situations YMMV is generally the rule. The problem across the board is the first level of tech/rep you talk to is often clueless about how to resolve your situation. I spent 6 hours on the phone yesterday getting bounced around TW tech support and getting no closer to resolving my issue. Finally after 19 tries I got passed on to a tier one tech who was extremely helpful. The problems still not entirely resolved but we made some significant progress.

11. darster Suspended

I did. You SAID you you did the update day 1. Then you said you used 3.5 GB in one week not on day 1. So which is it?

12. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 uses tons of data compared to the older devices. For example, netflix will increase the bitrate more than double when streaming over LTE.

If you got the carrier update on day 1, it is very possible that you used up all that data.

13. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't think I had to describe every last detail to make sense.

I got the phone and got the update day one. After a week of usage I was up to 3.5GB...and was VERY concerned, so I called up Verizon to assess the issue....they blew me off and Apple helped me resolve it.

----------

I never use Netflix and never would over LTE! You can slam 3GB in one movie!

I never used my iPhone 5 any differently, and as I've already said...I live in a 3G area and only get to use LTE very rarely and use Wifi at work and home. No different than when I had my iPhone 4 and 4s...which I used 5GB/Month. And, to state, once again, since resetting network settings I have used 23MB in 4 days!

Did I just write too much and its too hard for some people to read it all?

This thread, as stated by the title, was about the horrible customer service I received...NOT about my already resolved issue (again, resolved by Apple...not Verizon).

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Verizon is a business and they want your money, and resetting network settings would indicate a problem with the iPhone. If you really don't want to get charged just turn off celluar data when you're using wifi. Also since best buy and Verizon couldn't switch the lines then that most likely means only Apple could have done it in the first place.

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I have been drinking some today, but your post makes no sense.

16. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I've never had to do that before...I'm not about to start.

17. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Agree with the OP COMPLETELY!!

I feel the same way that the OP does. I have been with them for over 10 years and the service has went to crap!! They are so big now they know they have you and they abuse it! Luckily I work for a company that does ALOT of business with them so they treat me completely different when I go through my business account at them. Amazing what money can do!:rolleyes:

18. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

it's a known bug regarding verizon iPhones. It doesn't even take that long, like an extra second or so. Worth it so you don't get charged overage.

19. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually it's a known and fixed bug. But they forget to mention you have to reset network setting to make the fix work.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, that type of customer service is the reason I don't use Verizon. I had them almost 10 years ago (2003), and they always displayed that type of attitude. I currently have fios, and when I have had to deal CS it's the same thing, but unfortunately no one else can compare to fios (150mb down!) so I have to deal with them.

21. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I had an even worse experience.. heres my thread, you might be interested in reading it OP.

Click.

22. dchao macrumors 6502a

You are contradicting yourself. You said the Apple store was able to change your line without problem, and yet they turned you away the first time you asked them to do it.

VZW knew exactly the 24-hour limit on line changing on a SIM card, told you the true facts without wasting your time (but you refused to listen). And why should they give you a free new SIM either, since you didn't activate your phone with them.

And the BB rep was not well trained and totally clueless, and as the result, was wasting your valuable time.

23. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't ask apple to change it. Only if I could go to Verizon, since I also had to update my plan. The guy at Verizon was an obnoxious a**hole and he knew it.

24. Bruins Fan macrumors member

Bruins Fan

Truth be told, there is some awful customer service out there these days, and just about everywhere. I'm not that old (40s), and it seems that it gets just a little bit worse each year.

I'll be porting to Verizon from TMO, and I'm getting a little anxious as it seems that TMO has better service than both Big Red and Big Blue. I guess I'll have 14 days to kill the deal if Verizon sucks.

----------

If you're on Twitter, you should tweet a complaint to VZW. The guy should be reprimanded at the least for his crap service.

25. Hpye, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

Hpye macrumors 6502

you were wrong place at a wrong time with a wrong guy. it doesnt mean the whole verizon is bad, may be only that *** hole