When Did You Become Content with Life? (Share Your Wisdom/What You Did After 18)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 15, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

For this thread, I'm going to go in the opposite direction of my usual threads which are usually several paragraphs long and stick to a profound ( ;) ) brevity for this since I certainly can't add much yet. My main goal behind this thread is to gain as much wisdom as possible. Feel free to contribute to any extent that you feel comfortable with. Even life stories I will fully read since I'm sure there are multiple lessons in each. Please go ahead and post advice, regrets, your life history, etc. through inner-reflection: whatever you find through introspection. How did you spend your time reaching major milestones in your life to ultimately get to where you are today? At what point did you feel that you realized what you wanted in life and became content (or close enough to it)?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The years lived do not necessarily bring wisdom, they bring experience.

Wisdom comes from the ability to distill personal truths from that experience.

But I will share an incredibly trenchant bit of wisdom offered me by one of my patients many years ago....

Remember...you can't fall off Mr. Floor.

Chew on that bit of wisdom for a while...

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would have to disagree with that. Years always bring wisdom. What years don't necessarily bring is the capability to listen to or follow the wisdom you have gained.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If understand correctly, you are postulating that all people have the capacity, and the willingness, to examine and explore those life experiences in order to extract from the array of experience what one might consider universal truths.

For me...wisdom requires work, not just experience.

I'm not suggesting, btw, that I have acquired wisdom despite my many years of experience.:eek:

5. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Content with life at 6, discontent from 12.

Life is a sick joke; some people like sick jokes, others don't.

Old; only when age prevents you from doing the things you enjoy.

You can't save the world; if you must do something, go local.

Sleep.

Cola and root beer are different.

And so on.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

The difference between knowledge and Wisdom.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing that it doesn't go in a fruit salad
    Dex from Attack of the Clones.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Added to my my favorite quotes list. :)

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Agree but you gain both knowledge and wisdom over time.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not always!

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yes always.

Everyone gains some wisdom and knowledge over time. It just varies from person to person.

11. Meister, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

That pretty much sums it up.

A lesson that took me approx. quarter a century to learn:

Humans feel attracted to *******s, like flys feel attracted to ****.

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Isn't "wisdom", simply stated, "applied knowledge"?

Knowledge: The burner on a stove is hot.
    Wisdom: Not touching it.

13. Scepticalscribe, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And curiosity is putting your hand out not just because you don't quite believe what you have been told but that you want to experience this and find this out and confirm it for yourself. (Guilty, m'lud; ah yes. Yes, indeed: Actually, I remember as a child placing my hand quite carefully on an electric stove in my godmother's house, just to see what it felt like - we had gas at home. And yes, of course, I managed to burn my hand before reflex action kicked in. Well, I realise now that I seem to be - or seem to have become - one of life's apple eaters…...).

To the OP, I am not so sure that extra years, and gravitas, allow you to become 'content with life'; however, they do allow you to become a bit more at ease with yourself; this, in turn, makes it easier to reach accommodations with some of the conditions and situations that life can throw at you.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The premise is that wisdom makes you better. I'd say wisdom is only gained if experience is learned from. You can have many experiences and keep making the same mistakes, or nothing about you changes in your approach to life, then have you gained any wisdom?

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No matter what, you can't help from always learning from your experiences (different amounts for different people). No guarantees though that you will listen to your wisdom and become a better person :D.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is philosophical, but the primary difference between my premise and yours is that you believe wisdom can be gained but not utilized. While I believe if it is not recognized, it has not been gained. Maybe it is in there floating around in the subcontious but still it is not gained until it is recognized and acted upon. Of note wisdom can be very individualized. What one individual considers wisdom may not be regarded as such by another.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

So you believe that in order to get wisdom, you have to use wisdom :D ?

I believe that even though someone has wisdom, they can choose not to utilize it. If they don't recognize the wisdom, then they have not acquired it. That being said, I believe that everyone acquires knowledge and wisdom over time even though they may not be trying to acquire it. It's up to the person if they want to make use of the knowledge and wisdom that they have acquired.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's only considered wisdom if the person considers it valuable. If there is no value perceived, that person would not consider it wisdom.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Many people value it but choose not to follow it. You have no choice in getting wisdom but, you do have the choice not to follow it once you have it.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Concerning wisdom, I really like what the Webster's 1828 dictionary says about it.

21. Huntn, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If they do not follow it, then they don't really consider it wisdom, and they have not "gotten it". Info was offered and disregarded because it was not considered wisdom, it was not considered to be true, valuable, or they are reckless, maybe with a death wish. ;) What makes information wisdom? First and foremost the truth of it, respecting it, and the possible/probably outcomes based on making use of this info.

Example:
    If the zoo keeper tells, the young man who has been enamored with lions since he was a child, that it is not wise to jump into the lion pit, because they will maul and possible kill him. But he really wants to pet the lions and when the zoo keeper is not looking, he jumps in and becomes lunch. Did he attain wisdom or not? I maintain he did not because he ignored it. You say he did gain wisdom, but he ignored it. My response is "no", he did not get it. Wisdom= wise. Would anyone assign the quality of wisdom to the young man, such as "he was wise"? I don't think so. :)

Lets say he jumps in, the lions swipe at and chase him, but somehow he manages to elude them before being rescued by the pissed off zoo keeper. Would the young man now be called wise? Did he have wisdom or was he a lucky damn fool?

Finally , after his ordeal , the young msn approaches the zoo keeper and tells him " you were right, what a fool I was," Now and only now he has attained wisdom .

Now how about you concoct a story where being wise = ignoring wisdom? :D

. Simply put Wisdom is the quality of being wise.

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Two main causes of choosing to ignoring your wisdom are fear and substance abuse (drugs or alcohol). Fear is the predominate reason with people having the wisdom to know the right choice but allowing fear to guide their actions. Likewise, people take drugs or alcohol in order to turn off their inner voice of wisdom such that they are less inhibited. Ignoring the wisdom that you have acquired is not a good choice but it is a choice.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish I could say I'm wise but I'm not. All I do have is my life experience which helps guide me.

As for being content, There are facets in my life that I feel I'm very content, and other areas that I'm not.

For instance, Steve Jobs said "Be hungry be foolish" I don't think you can be content (fully) and not be hungry. I'm not content with my martial arts training so I work at that hours every day.

Conversely I'm fairly content materialistically, Except for Macs/iPhones, I really don't care for material possessions. I think becoming a Christian changed my perspective a lot realizing there's more to life then chasing the dollar and striving for the biggest salary. I'm thankful, I have a loving wife, two healthy kids and a job to keep a roof over our heads.

I have enough character defects, but I think generally I'm happy with my station in life :)

24. Huntn, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I see what you are saying, but I think you are focused on a specific situation. My example was straight forward. Another example is being told not to walk in the high grass without boots because of the rattlesnakes, but then I decide to take a stroll there bare footed. Whatever irrational process is going on in my brain, could it be said that I have attained wisdom or am acting in a wise manner?

The information you are exposed to only becomes attained wisdom once it's value is understood by the individual and has the ability to act on it. I'd propose that substance abuse blocks the accumulation of wisdom. This might be considered semantics, and the idea may not even apply to substance abuse, but it's not enough to tell an alcoholic that alcoholism will eventually kill them.. If they continue to drink are they wise, are they acting wisely, do they have wisdom? The bottom line is that being wise = acting wisely, not acting foolishly for whatever the reason. I agree that drugs can block the process of attaining wisdom. :)

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Being wise is exercising your wisdom. You can't be wise without wisdom but you can have wisdom and not be wise if you choose not to exercise your wisdom.

I would agree with you that substance abuse blocks the ability to gain wisdom but, I also think that it prevents you from exercising your wisdom. Unless the person is under the substance abuse 24/7, they can and will still gain wisdom.

I think in the end, we will have to agree to disagree about wisdom :D.