Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
i am getting a new mbpr late 2013 recplacment for my 2010 mbp, however i dont believe i actually need and am considering selling it.

If i were to sell it and then buy back a 2010 MBP (i have somehow found a new one online still) i was just curious to if i began having the same problems as i have had on my current one, in say a few a years when the model would be 6 years old, would i still be able to get support for repairs & replacements. When i mean repairs im talking about problems that apple take responsibility for and currently repair for free, not spilling water etc...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dumb question if there are problems with the 2010 model that apple has taken responsibility for, why do you want to go back to that model :confused:

What does the 2010 model have over the 2013 rMBP? Seems like a giant step back to me.

I'd say 6 years may be asking too much for stated problems that apple will repair for free. I think at this point any failures that will occur in a 2010 MBP will not be covered, but then I'm unaware of any design/manufacturing problems with the 2010 MBP.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
From apple:

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute.

Owners of vintage Macintosh products may obtain service and parts from Apple service providers within the state of California, United States.

Owners of vintage iPod products in the state of California may obtain service from Apple Retail Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE.

Owners of vintage iPhone products in the state of California may obtain service from Apple Retail Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE.

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago.

Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752

Hakimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Dumb question if there are problems with the 2010 model that apple has taken responsibility for, why do you want to go back to that model :confused:

What does the 2010 model have over the 2013 rMBP? Seems like a giant step back to me.

I'd say 6 years may be asking too much for stated problems that apple will repair for free. I think at this point any failures that will occur in a 2010 MBP will not be covered, but then I'm unaware of any design/manufacturing problems with the 2010 MBP.

I got the logic board replaced two weeks ago for free, so im assuming they still have support for them now. The question is why really does the rmbp 2013 have over my 2010 model. I upgraded the ssd and the ram and i've never felt the need to upgrade. I had the model for 4 years before i started to play up and to be honest im perfectly happy with it.

The model im getting from apple is worth like 2300£ and i can buy back a mbp 2010 new for 1000£ tops brand new or £500-700. so there is some profit to made.

----------

From apple:

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute.

Owners of vintage Macintosh products may obtain service and parts from Apple service providers within the state of California, United States.

Owners of vintage iPod products in the state of California may obtain service from Apple Retail Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE.

Owners of vintage iPhone products in the state of California may obtain service from Apple Retail Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE.

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago.

Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752

Im unsure if you know but when they say discontinued products do they mean that particular version as in mid 2010 or the whole MBP cycle which discontinued quite recently.

thetman

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2003
So you are getting a free replacement for a machine that is defective and you want to sell it, buy the same model as the defective one and hope that if anything goes wrong Apple will fix or replace for you again for free?

Just keep the free replacement and be grateful.

Hakimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
So you are getting a free replacement for a machine that is defective and you want to sell it, buy the same model as the defective one and hope that if anything goes wrong Apple will fix or replace for you again for free?

Just keep the free replacement and be grateful.

im not hoping that it goes wrong, but i would rather have a perfectly capable machine and 1000£ left over rather than a super machine that i dont particularly need.

The defective one last 4 years before anything actually went wrong.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
it maybe was your luck it lasted that long.
Ok so as what you have said you found a 2010 model brand new, is there warranty on it? Cause without warranty apple products are costly if they give hardware issues. The 15 inch mid 2010 are known for failures you got a replacement cause of their program. If i were you i would go with the retina macbook why? perhaps faster ssd, more ram with better speeds, a great display and light weight. It may help you in some work loads. If you are bothered about issues that some retinas face you have warranty or else you could go buy the cMbp.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
im not hoping that it goes wrong, but i would rather have a perfectly capable machine and 1000£ left over rather than a super machine that i dont particularly need.

The defective one last 4 years before anything actually went wrong.

You used the first one for 4 years, they now replaced it with the current model free of charge (due to defect with the original)?

If this is an accurate summation, ultimately whats your worst case scenario should you sell it, buy another 2010 model and it breaks in a couple of years but Apple consider it obsolete? You've told us you'll be getting £1k in your pocket by doing this, which must a be a significant proportion of your initial outlay?

Ultimately it seems to me you're looking at 4 years of free computing, now a brand new current model, or brand new example of your original 2010 machine plus at least half your money back. Whats there to think about, either way you're massively up, lol.

If only we could all have this problem after 4 years of using our machines :rolleyes:

Hakimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
You used the first one for 4 years, they now replaced it with the current model free of charge (due to defect with the original)?

If this is an accurate summation, ultimately whats your worst case scenario should you sell it, buy another 2010 model and it breaks in a couple of years but Apple consider it obsolete? You've told us you'll be getting £1k in your pocket by doing this, which must a be a significant proportion of your initial outlay?

Ultimately it seems to me you're looking at 4 years of free computing, now a brand new current model, or brand new example of your original 2010 machine plus at least half your money back. Whats there to think about, either way you're massively up, lol.

If only we could all have this problem after 4 years of using our machines :rolleyes:

Yes you got that right plus. Plus the replacement is better as they can only offer me specs which are the same or better than my current model.

It looks like the seller of the mbp is not looking for less than £1000 for the model, i dont think i will spent that much on it considering i can get basically a current gen model for a little more + warranty.

Im looking into a second hand 2010 model but I am unsure about buying second hand. Any Tips?

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Yes you got that right plus. Plus the replacement is better as they can only offer me specs which are the same or better than my current model.

It looks like the seller of the mbp is not looking for less than £1000 for the model, i dont think i will spent that much on it considering i can get basically a current gen model for a little more + warranty.

Im looking into a second hand 2010 model but I am unsure about buying second hand. Any Tips?

Once you're into several hundred pounds (which a 2010+ MBP is likely to cost even second hand) I would likely only buy Apple refurb store. If I was going the independent second hand route, I'd definitely want to know something about provenance and some Apple care/warranty left.

Ultimately its not a cheap laptop. You're paying a premium and the reason I pay that premium is its a critical productivity tool. I assume anyone paying MBP prices is not paying them for something which isn't important for daily use, and instead easy to do without. As far as i'm concerned for the ~3 years its going to be my primary machine I want the minimum possible hassle. I think owning the machine from new (or official refurb) and having warranty so you can walk straight into store (there are a couple near me) maximises the chances of this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.