When do "militias

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

...become homegrown Terrorists?

"A Muslim congregation in central Georgia that wants to build a mosque faces opposition from an armed “3%” militia that has terrorized county officials and smeared the mosque as a training ground for the Islamic State."

"They are training to fight both the US government and enemies of the US government; they wave both the American flag and the southern Confederate battle flag; they say they support the US constitution but not the right of Muslims to express religious freedom."

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Couldn't they just hire lobbyists instead? :p

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In the country of religious Christian freedom and liberty... :oops: Send the FBI and the ATF. They probably are already infiltrated.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It worked out well for Slick Willy and Janet Reno, didn't it? Not sure if this guy is still with the Bureau.

[​IMG]

That being said these guys seem like nuts and the Guardian article is a bit hyperbolic.

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

We are currently at the point where direct threats of violence are common; it won't be long before people start carrying out those threats.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't know about him but his partner got a job at ironically enough a gun accessory manufacturer. Not many in the gun world shows that company love anymore. Sort of like the Team Wendy fiasco.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Who is the picture of?

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Lon Horiuchi
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    Friends don't let friends buy Troy.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ah yes, freedom for all me and those like me.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. At some point, one of these Three Percenters are going to hatch a plan and kill people.

If someone repeatedly makes a threat, and has the means to carry out that threat, they should be investigated.

And, the double-standard is evident.

In Arizona, a kid with clear mental issues was charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism because he tried to email Taliban officials in Pakistan to get instructions on how to build a pipe bomb, and said he supported ISIS.

These guys run around with semi-automatic rifles and yammer about revolution, and local officials remain completely passive about their intentions.

13. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I completely support the right of people to publicly disagree with or protest something - even if I strongly disagree with their opinion - even if I think they are lunatics.

But darkly threatening to bomb a mosque or shoot people is beyond the pale. That is terrorism, and violent intimidation of this type is, sadly, not new in this country.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Has any of that happened? Other than the alleged trespassing? I skimmed through the video that the article linked. I saw a bunch of out of shape people walking through the woods with no tactics whatsoever. The "explosive" they set off was a reactive target mix called tannerite.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes, they are a bunch of idiotic bunglers. That does not make their intentions any less clear. They do not need to demonstrate competence in order to be seen as making threats of violence that should be treated as such.

There are plenty of productive ways they could use to get their opinions across. Playing amateur terrorist/revolutionary in the woods is not one of them.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You must have missed my question. Have they committed any offenses? Other than the alleged trespassing? Exercising a Right(running around like retards in the woods) and saying that they don't want a particular group in their area, isn't threatening violence.

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'll let their local law enforcement answer that. But, given the extent to which most Americans are currently being surveilled in the "war on terror", and the lengths to which politicians claim they are willing to go to stop terrorist violence before it happens, you seem remarkably relaxed about this group.

The county commissioners characterized the groups behavior as constituting “uncivil threats or intentions [that] must be taken seriously” and cancelled a planned meeting discussing the issue. Is it foolish to question whether this moronic bigotry might lead to action? The "militia" involved has (however clumsily) demonstrated that they have the capability to maim, kill and destroy, and juxtaposed this demonstration with opposition to the mosque; the connection between the two is crystal clear.

I am not calling for any specific action here. But dismissing these "militias" as merely hillbillies running around in the woods is unwise.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well they have been arrested they had 3 or 4 bombs. Hey white American terrorist imagine that. They were planning on blowing up a place where refugees were staying.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When Islamic followers are killing people every week we have better things to worry about.

When white hicks start executing people for being Muslim give us a call.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Ring ring ring.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

As opposed to the 70s when Leftists were actually planting bombs, robbing banks, and killing people?

Furthermore, we've already had direct violent action: in case you missed it, over the past year or so Muslims murdered hundreds of people in the United States and Europe.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How many dead/executed? If you wasted my time by ringing my phone I'm going to be pissed off.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Link?

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

They were arrested first.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Your gonna have to spend 1.5 seconds searching news services I heard it on cbd.