When do "militias

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
...become homegrown Terrorists?

"A Muslim congregation in central Georgia that wants to build a mosque faces opposition from an armed “3%” militia that has terrorized county officials and smeared the mosque as a training ground for the Islamic State."

"They are training to fight both the US government and enemies of the US government; they wave both the American flag and the southern Confederate battle flag; they say they support the US constitution but not the right of Muslims to express religious freedom."

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

"A Muslim congregation in central Georgia that wants to build a mosque faces opposition from an armed “3%” militia that has terrorized county officials and smeared the mosque as a training ground for the Islamic State."

"They are training to fight both the US government and enemies of the US government; they wave both the American flag and the southern Confederate battle flag; they say they support the US constitution but not the right of Muslims to express religious freedom."
In the country of religious Christian freedom and liberty... :oops: Send the FBI and the ATF. They probably are already infiltrated.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
In the country of religious Christian freedom and liberty... :oops: Send the FBI and the ATF. They probably are already infiltrated.
It worked out well for Slick Willy and Janet Reno, didn't it? Not sure if this guy is still with the Bureau.

That being said these guys seem like nuts and the Guardian article is a bit hyperbolic.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
It worked out well for Slick Willy and Janet Reno, didn't it? Not sure if this guy is still with the Bureau.

That being said these guys seem like nuts and the Guardian article is a bit hyperbolic.
I don't know about him but his partner got a job at ironically enough a gun accessory manufacturer. Not many in the gun world shows that company love anymore. Sort of like the Team Wendy fiasco.

Reactions: webbuzz

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto

Ah yes, freedom for all me and those like me.
Orwell said:
"My sight is failing," she said finally. "Even when I was young I could not have read what was written there. But it appears to me that that wall looks different. Are the Seven Commandments the same as they used to be, Benjamin?"
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
We are currently at the point where direct threats of violence are common; it won't be long before people start carrying out those threats.
Yep. At some point, one of these Three Percenters are going to hatch a plan and kill people.

When they act on their threats.
If someone repeatedly makes a threat, and has the means to carry out that threat, they should be investigated.

And, the double-standard is evident.

In Arizona, a kid with clear mental issues was charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism because he tried to email Taliban officials in Pakistan to get instructions on how to build a pipe bomb, and said he supported ISIS.

These guys run around with semi-automatic rifles and yammer about revolution, and local officials remain completely passive about their intentions.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I completely support the right of people to publicly disagree with or protest something - even if I strongly disagree with their opinion - even if I think they are lunatics.

But darkly threatening to bomb a mosque or shoot people is beyond the pale. That is terrorism, and violent intimidation of this type is, sadly, not new in this country.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I completely support the right of people to publicly disagree with or protest something - even if I strongly disagree with their opinion - even if I think they are lunatics.

But darkly threatening to bomb a mosque or shoot people is beyond the pale. That is terrorism, and violent intimidation of this type is, sadly, not new in this country.
Has any of that happened? Other than the alleged trespassing? I skimmed through the video that the article linked. I saw a bunch of out of shape people walking through the woods with no tactics whatsoever. The "explosive" they set off was a reactive target mix called tannerite.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Has any of that happened? Other than the alleged trespassing? I skimmed through the video that the article linked. I saw a bunch of out of shape people walking through the woods with no tactics whatsoever. The "explosive" they set off was a reactive target mix called tannerite.
Yes, they are a bunch of idiotic bunglers. That does not make their intentions any less clear. They do not need to demonstrate competence in order to be seen as making threats of violence that should be treated as such.

There are plenty of productive ways they could use to get their opinions across. Playing amateur terrorist/revolutionary in the woods is not one of them.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Yes, they are a bunch of idiotic bunglers. That does not make their intentions any less clear. They do not need to demonstrate competence in order to be seen as making threats of violence that should be treated as such.

There are plenty of productive ways they could use to get their opinions across. Playing amateur terrorist/revolutionary in the woods is not one of them.
You must have missed my question. Have they committed any offenses? Other than the alleged trespassing? Exercising a Right(running around like retards in the woods) and saying that they don't want a particular group in their area, isn't threatening violence.

Reactions: jkcerda

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You must have missed my question. Have they committed any offenses? Other than the alleged trespassing? Exercising a Right(running around like retards in the woods) and saying that they don't want a particular group in their area, isn't threatening violence.
I'll let their local law enforcement answer that. But, given the extent to which most Americans are currently being surveilled in the "war on terror", and the lengths to which politicians claim they are willing to go to stop terrorist violence before it happens, you seem remarkably relaxed about this group.

The county commissioners characterized the groups behavior as constituting “uncivil threats or intentions [that] must be taken seriously” and cancelled a planned meeting discussing the issue. Is it foolish to question whether this moronic bigotry might lead to action? The "militia" involved has (however clumsily) demonstrated that they have the capability to maim, kill and destroy, and juxtaposed this demonstration with opposition to the mosque; the connection between the two is crystal clear.

I am not calling for any specific action here. But dismissing these "militias" as merely hillbillies running around in the woods is unwise.

Reactions: Raid

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Well they have been arrested they had 3 or 4 bombs. Hey white American terrorist imagine that. They were planning on blowing up a place where refugees were staying.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
We are currently at the point where direct threats of violence are common...
As opposed to the 70s when Leftists were actually planting bombs, robbing banks, and killing people?

Furthermore, we've already had direct violent action: in case you missed it, over the past year or so Muslims murdered hundreds of people in the United States and Europe.

Reactions: jkcerda