iPhone 11 When do reviews release?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Being an android user for the past couple of years, I haven't paid much attention to iphone releases and when reviews come out. I assume press and the top Youtube reviewers get a review model ahead of release like other OEMs. If so, do they typically release their reviews ahead of the official iPhone release (Friday)? Usually OEMs have a review embargo until a certain date, but maybe Apple does it differently. Anyone know when reviews typically come out?

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I think its usually the Wed right before release, around 36-48 hours before launch.

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
Really looking forward to those early reviews. I wanna see some real-life comparisons concerning Face-ID, displays, cameras and battery life.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Really looking forward to those early reviews. I wanna see some real-life comparisons concerning Face-ID, displays, cameras and battery life.
I’m assuming most reviews will say something along the lines of this for FaceID:

“It’s still just as great as it was, albeit a bit faster and works a little further away.”

Then they’ll probably move on. I doubt anyone is going to do an in depth FaceID segment for their review. But that is just me!

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
I’m assuming most reviews will say something along the lines of this for FaceID:

“It’s still just as great as it was, albeit a bit faster and works a little further away.”

Then they’ll probably move on. I doubt anyone is going to do an in depth FaceID segment for their review. But that is just me!
You're probably right with that. Anyway, I hope they will deliver a short impression of the overall experience with FaceID 2.0 / 1.5.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I'm mostly interested in the battery life review. 4-5 hours increase is a bold claim but also a vague one. A Bigger battery and more energy efficient chip will have an effect, but how will that translate to SOT.
Oh, yeah, this. This is the one I’m most interested to hear about. The 4-5 hour longer battery from the Xs/Xs max is a huge claim.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I may be wrong but, don't manufacturers prevent them reviewing the camera until they are officially released?

I'm also looking forward to the camera comparisons and the battery tests :)

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I may be wrong but, don't manufacturers prevent them reviewing the camera until they are officially released?
You’d be definitely wrong here.:D Part of the initial review once the embargo is released, is they discuss _all_ featurette‘s on the iPhone, that means performance, camera, upgrades, drop test(s)/durability, water exposure, etc. For reference, it was the exact same set up last year when the embargo was released for the iPhone XS.

Reactions: Hustler1337

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
You’d be definitely wrong here.:D Part of the initial review once the embargo is released, is they discuss _all_ featurette‘s on the iPhone, that means performance, camera, upgrades, drop test(s)/durability, water exposure, etc. For reference, it was the exact same set up last year when the embargo was released for the iPhone XS.
Sweet, glad to be put wrong :) For some reason I thought they had to mention something along the lines of 'this is pre-release and the camera may be improved via software updates' but I guess that was my imagination.

rmoliv

Suspended
Dec 20, 2017
iJustine :D just dropped a video reviewing Apple Arcade.

Last edited:

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
I'm mostly interested in the battery life review. 4-5 hours increase is a bold claim but also a vague one. A Bigger battery and more energy efficient chip will have an effect, but how will that translate to SOT.
It’s not vague tbh.
It’s 5 hours longer during video playback.

How much of a difference that will make during regular day to day use remains to be seen, its promising though.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It’s not vague tbh.

How much of a difference that will make during regular day to day use remains to be seen, its promising though.
Bingo. IIRC the notebookcheck.com review of the XS Max pointed out that the Max responded very differently under different loads, and video playback is probably the most favorable case.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah I am going with reviews tomorrow, also interested to see battery life. But I am expecting that we will get, too early to tell yet, on that.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I'm also looking forward to the camera comparisons and the battery tests :)
Nope. Usually the reviews come out a couple days before release date.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
It’s not vague tbh.

I didn't see that they specified it was 5 hours extra for video playback. That's great. I was worried they might say 5 hours but use standby time as their data to back up the claim which wouldn't be that impressive.