When do the new Mac Books come out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Martlets93, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Martlets93 macrumors member

Martlets93

I've always been the anti-Apple guy, without any good reason. I picked up an iPhone 3GS, and it's been downhill since then. I grabbed an iPad 2 when they came out, and now I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. I don't really "need" one, I just want one. I currently use a 17" Acer media laptop that pretty much lies dormant unless I Splash Top to it or need to edit videos.

I went to the Apple store and looked at the laptops. Based on my editing, even though I don't do it much, I think a MacBook Pro would be the best bet. I really wouldn't use it much, since my iPad meets my general needs, so I don't have to get it now. My Acer is still running, too, it's just reaching the end of it's live. It has the PC slowdown that seems to hit all my PCs around the 2 year mark.

I guess my question is do they normally come out with new models soon? If it isn't until next year, I might as well just get one now.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. SdPunk macrumors member

From what I understand, there is a timeline all refreshes follow, but the MacBook is over due. In my opinion, I think they may phase out the MacBook because you have the Air at $999.00 as well. And if the refresh for the MBA comes this week with the new i5 and i7 processors, you can bet the MBA sales will go through the roof!!

Hold off until Wednesday and see what happens. Good luck. :)

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

Totally agree. I actually like the MB a lot (assuming the insides got refreshed), but I don't really see a place for it anymore in the Apple line, and I think Steve kind of suggested it would be going away.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Whenever Apple will deem it necessary depending on the new intel processors and the next mobile GPU's.

Basically anywhere between now and a year from now.

Why should we even know this? They've barely just been updated.

You're welcome.

6. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

Thanks. I'm new to the Mac line, so I'm still learning the differences and the updates. The terminology takes a little getting used to, and I don't particularly understand the differences between refreshes, updates, and releases yet. I'm getting the hang of it slowly but surely.

What should I be looking for on Wednesday?

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. i responded to title and not to content. i read it, but my brain registered it as macbook. my bad.

macbook = 13" white plastic computer for "everyone"
    macbook air (mba) = ultraportable
    macbook pro (mbp)= catch all for moderate to heavy use

the macbook is really outdated and i think on wed steve might bid it farewell. the mba is steve's new direction, and we all expect a refresh of its guts. it should be quite exciting. the mbp just got refreshed.

completely new models, with new insides, new bodies, etc. don't come often. see the buyer's guide link at top of page for more info.

8. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

Sorry about the title. It shows how little I know. This forum has a ton of information, but the more I read the more confused I get. I may just not know enough about computers to use a Mac. Then again, my iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are easy enough to use.

It looks like many people update these. I plan on using it mostly for video editing and peripherals, but then again I planned on using my iPhone only to make calls and text. Are they easy to work on? I'm having trouble deciding which one best suit my needs.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

You ought not to have to actually "work" on it. Except perhaps to upgrade the RAM or the hard drive when it eventually fails(it does on all computers, one day or another).

Apart from that, it's quite a fine computer for many a task.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think Windows 7 is a great operating system, and you'll probably be fine with it for what you do. However, if you want to make the change, I think you'll find the Apple user interfaces to be much more intuitive. I have to admit that the transition has been bumpy at times, sort of like changing from a manual to an automatic car (I keep double clicking / trying to press the clutch). I would recommend that you set up an appointment with an Apple store person when you get it. An hour or so in the store will probably be all you'll ever need.

As for which computer to buy, that is more difficult! Could you tell us more about your general usage and what you expect (big screen, little screen, etc.)? If a 13" screen would be OK, it sounds like you would do well with a MacBook Air.

11. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

Thanks for the reply. Windows 7 looks nice, and I probably would be fine with it. One of my biggest beefs with the PC is I seem to need a new one every 2 years, as the old one either craps out or becomes so slow it's useless. I don't "need" a new laptop now, but using mine is getting painful. I'm trying to find a way to justify it without the "buyer's guilt".

It's hard to say what my general usage will be. I USED to use my laptop constantly for browsing and checking email. Honestly, I only touch my laptop once or twice a week now for general usage. I don't think that would change with a new laptop. I find the iPad is much easier to browse the web on, and easy to set aside when I get up. It doesn't heat up my lap, and I can grab the keyboard off the end table when I want to type.

Mostly what I think I'll be using a laptop for is video editing. I shoot video skydiving and around the house. I currently use Vegas Platinum, but it's a real resource hog. I think iMovie might be better. I may be way off base, having never used a Mac, but it seems like the Macs last longer, have fewer problems, don't bog down, and can be resold when you upgrade.

I thought about a MacBook Air, but I was unsure if it was beefy enough for editing. I travel regularly, but if I can connect to the Mac through a program like Splashtop, I may just leave it at home unless I'm on an extended trip.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

My experience with PCs is that they last a lot longer than that, especially if you clean install Windows every 6 months or so. You might get lucky with the Mac, and they generally do seem to last a bit longer, but Applecare ends in 3 years, so I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that. In three years technology will have moved along so much, you may not even want it.

I do not have an MBA, so I can't really say, but I would guess that if it gets the refresh tomorrow that we all expect, then it will be perfectly capable of handling your needs. Depending on what happens tomorrow, I would suggest the 11" MBA + an external monitor at home. And, on the road, the 11" is about the size of your iPad, so it will fit comfortably in any bag.

The MBP is a lot more than what you need, in my opinion, and it would be several hundred dollars more.

13. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

That's very likely. I like shiny new things.

My friends seem to have Macs that they've had for 5+ years. This seems to be the norm, rather than the exception.

Wouldn't a clean install of Windows every 6 months wipe my machine? I think many of the problems I have with my PC are related to the amount of junk that ends up running on it over time. Right now I have 101 processes running, and I don't even know what the majority of them do.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I'll have to see what happens tomorrow, then check back here.

14. cirus macrumors 6502a

yeah, I have a 4.5 year old dell, never reinstalled anything, works fine except boot time is ridiculous (hard drive problem).

If you are not going to use the computer often, ask yourself if is it really worth it. A grand for something used once a week. You already have an ipad so would you be partial to a desktop? The bang for the buck is much greater, they are cheaper, and they are more reliable? You can get a good windows desktop for $800-900 that will smash the performance of a mac laptop.

15. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

I don't think a desk top would really work for me. As I mentioned earlier, the primary reason I need a computer at all is for video editing. On most weekends, I travel to the drop zone to skydive and I stay there. Sometimes I need to edit video for students, and it's more convenient to have the computer there with me. The rest of the time it sits under the end table, turned on, and I grab it or connect to it as needed.

16. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Current MBP's are pretty gawd damn powerfuls. I'm sure it will suit your needs just fine, especially the high end MBP. I don't see how you can go wrong...and if you did, you need a desktop. Period.

17. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

18. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Just an anecdote...While many people are using 5+ yr old Apple laptops, I haven't seen one yet that old that isn't slow as molasses. I know people still using 5+ yr old Windows laptops too, but they are also slow (my roommate uses a Dell Inspiron 6000 that he bought in 2004).

The internal technology is the same, and therefore it will become outdated just as fast. Build quality is a different matter though...

19. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Try going to the mac section of www.apple.com , they have all their notebook nicely presented, you will understand everything :)

20. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

Hmmm. I didn't know that. I always thought that the software was much less intrusive and worked better with the Mac than the stuff on my PC.

I guess that gives me more food for thought. Maybe I should consider trying to speed up my Acer instead.

21. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

To some extent that's true...at any given time there are way fewer processes working on my Mac than there are on my PC (I'm only speaking of OS processes). On both platforms however, new programs come out that require more resources to run and will slow down any older computer.

What are the specs of the Acer? Also, would you consider the 13" MBP? It's $999 from Microcenter, and if you were to sell it in 6 months to a year when the next model likely comes out, I can't imagine you losing more than a hundred bucks (maybe $200 most).

22. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

I'd consider it if it weren't a pig while editing video. I'd also have to check what the military sales price would be. It may be cheaper. I'd certainly do it if I could sell it for only a $200 loss when the new model came out.

It's an Acer Aspire 6930
    Intel Core Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz 800 MHz FSB 2 MB L2 Cache
    4.00 GB RAM
    64-bit OS Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    16" HD Cinecrystal display
    320 GB HD

23. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you do a decent amount of video editing, at a minimum go with the new 13" MBP. The 2.3GHz i5 is a good bit more powerful than the 2GHz C2D. Plus, there's not much upgrading you can do since video editing is CPU-heavy and upgrading the CPU in the Acer isn't very cost effective. Of course, the 15" quad-core i7 is even better, but it's cost effectiveness depends on your military discount.

24. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

I broke down and got the 15" with upgraded RAM.

25. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

;)