Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you charge your Airpods case?

• When it's as low as 20%

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • When it's around 80%

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Every night along with my iPhone

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I don't even have my Airpods yet!

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I tend to put my iPhone on the charger whenever I have an opportunity and try to keep it from dropping too far below 40% charge. Are we supposed to treat the Airpods case in the same manner?

Thank you @iStockNow for the alert you sent me Saturday. I was able to get to the Apple Store in time to pick up 2 pairs of Airpods before they went out of stock. :)

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I tend to put my iPhone on the charger whenever I have an opportunity and try to keep it from dropping too far below 40% charge. Are we supposed to treat the Airpods case in the same manner?

Thank you @iStockNow for the alert you sent me Saturday. I was able to get to the Apple Store in time to pick up 2 pairs of Airpods before they went out of stock. :)

I stick them on charge when they're under 20% Which is usually once per week or so.

I also only charge my phone and watch overnight, and charge my MBP when it's under 20% also.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I stick them on charge when they're under 20% Which is usually once per week or so.

I also only charge my phone and watch overnight, and charge my MBP when it's under 20% also.

I tend to charge my watch and iPhone together at night. Is it safe to the same with the airpod case?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Nearly all modern portable devices have a lithium based battery in them. These batteries have a controller that prevents them from discharging too much or overcharging. This allows them to be used and charged no matter the battery level. You don't need to keep your iPhone or other devices from getting below 40 or 20 percent, you won't hurt them if you run them down until the device powers itself off. You can charge it every night, even if only at 90%.

Reactions: akash.nu

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I tend to charge my watch and iPhone together at night. Is it safe to the same with the airpod case?
I don't see why you would need to.

The case light will go red when they get to 20% charge. At that point you have almost 10 hours of music time available still.

When they hit red, I stick them on charge.

Reactions: stu.h

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't see why you would need to.

The case light will go red when they get to 20% charge. At that point you have almost 10 hours of music time available still.

When they hit red, I stick them on charge.

Fair enough. I'll just wait for the case to go red between charges.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't understand why's there so much myth about the batteries these days. Most of the recent tech users have never used an older generation nickel battery anyway.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't understand why's there so much myth about the batteries these days. Most of the recent tech users have never used an older generation nickel battery anyway.

Well, I keep reading that the longer a battery takes to charge the more heat is created and heat is detrimental to battery health. That is why I usually top off my batteries or don't let them run low if I can help it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The amount of heat generated is regulated by the battery controller to prevent levels of heat that could damage the battery. The controllers and batteries are designed by highly educated people with degrees of understanding the chemical reactions that take place in them.

Simply put, use your phone with no regard to its battery. It can take care of itself.

Reactions: Krabba and Agile55

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Well, I keep reading that the longer a battery takes to charge the more heat is created and heat is detrimental to battery health. That is why I usually top off my batteries or don't let them run low if I can help it.

Generally a full battery will run the CHARGER hotter. As the internal resistance rises as the capacity nears full. This on a basic level is what stops the charge. The increase in resistance is what generates the heat.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
AirPods when case is almost out.
Apple Watch, when I wake up shower, eat breakfast, put back on
iPhone, when I'm in car an when I wake up, see above.
rMB - When I wake up. Or, I may leave it connected if it is a period where I am working from home.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Nearly all modern portable devices have a lithium based battery in them. These batteries have a controller that prevents them from discharging too much or overcharging. This allows them to be used and charged no matter the battery level. You don't need to keep your iPhone or other devices from getting below 40 or 20 percent, you won't hurt them if you run them down until the device powers itself off. You can charge it every night, even if only at 90%.

As lithium batteries get stressed below 20% and above 80% (particularly if fast charged) it’s usually better to keep them between these values...as well as keeping them cool (temperature being another stress factor).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As lithium batteries get stressed below 20% and above 80% (particularly if fast charged) it’s usually better to keep them between these values...as well as keeping them cool (temperature being another stress factor).

Those are older batteries that don't have control electronics besides a simple voltage read. Most modern lithium batteries have smarter, more advanced circuity that allows them to be used in a way that would damage older ones. The idea of staying between 20% and 80% is simply outdated. In nearly all Apple rechargeable devices, there is a thermometer to read the batteries. This keeps them at an optimal temperature without having the user worry about it or maintain it. Again, use the Airpods and their case however you want, they can handle it and will last a long time.

Reactions: Krabba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.