Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Im thinking its just a matter of time now with tablets selling more than pcs and the wow movie thats coming on 2015.

They are losing alot of subscription but releasing it on the ipad would revitalise it. And I really want to see that because the new ipad air is more than capable to run it

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Never. Game is not meant for consoles nor tablets, to play the game well there is too much going on. Diablo 3 is a different story.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Never. Game is not meant for consoles nor tablets, to play the game well there is too much going on. Diablo 3 is a different story.

I wouldn't be too sure. With a 64 bit processor things may change. It is likely the Apple pricing scheme is discouraging this moreso than the platform itself.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I wouldn't be too sure. With a 64 bit processor things may change. It is likely the Apple pricing scheme is discouraging this moreso than the platform itself.

You're misinterpreting what my point is. Of course it CAN be, but the fact still remains to play it and play it well and play it how it was meant to remains defective on tablets and consoles. I would have 30 macros at one time assigned to all sorts of hot keys, at the same time be moving, casting, and or click all over my screen. I don't think it will ever port to a tablet or console unless the game structure and how it is played is changed.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Im thinking its just a matter of time now with tablets selling more than pcs and the wow movie thats coming on 2015.

They are losing alot of subscription but releasing it on the ipad would revitalise it. And I really want to see that because the new ipad air is more than capable to run it

Contrary to what the media tells you tablets are not selling more than PC's. Total PC shipments in Q2 of this year was 76 million. That's 76 million PC's in a 3 month period. Since the iPad was released it has only sold 120 Million and that's in almost 4 years. The market is growing for tablets and PC sales are in decline but PC's still far outsell iPads and I'd even wager a guess and say all Android tablets as well.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
You're misinterpreting what my point is. Of course it CAN be, but the fact still remains to play it and play it well and play it how it was meant to remains defective on tablets and consoles. I would have 30 macros at one time assigned to all sorts of hot keys, at the same time be moving, casting, and or click all over my screen. I don't think it will ever port to a tablet or console unless the game structure and how it is played is changed.

I get it. And you are right, they'd have to make some compromises. I am not particularly crazy about first person shooters on an iPad either, but there are some really interesting and well made implementations out there.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Power has nothing to do with it. WoW requires a lot of different keyboard inputs going on at the same time. It would be impractical to port it to any tablet.

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_102813_105037.png
    WoWScrnShot_102813_105037.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 306

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I get it. And you are right, they'd have to make some compromises. I am not particularly crazy about first person shooters on an iPad either, but there are some really interesting and well made implementations out there.

Agreed, I think it would work fine with a Diablo style but then again porting WoW to that would be too similar but I guess it would just pass as a mobile playing part when your not on you're computer you might be able to run around do minor things like auction house, mail, farm gold, or do simple quests. Anything like raiding, pvp, or heroics, or hard quests will never work on an iPad there is just too much going on.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
While I agree that it would be difficult due to the inputs required... I have use macros and add ons with an XBOX controller to successfully play WoW quite well. Add one of the new iPad or iPhone controllers that are coming out and it could be done.

I doubt Blizzard would ever port it though.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I wouldn't hold your breath as its never going to happen mainly for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. It took them a long time to port Diablo to consoles and that is a simpler game in relative terms to WOW but still complicated.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The main problem would be redesigning the UI for touchscreen only in a way that lets tablet players be on the same level as desktop players, which won't happen. The new iPad's would be more than able to handle it spec wise.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wait, people still play Wizard of Worldcraft or whatever it's called? I thought that went the way of Geocities and dancing hamsters.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Can't see this happening. Not because an iPad is incapable of running it, but communication with others is a huge part of the game. If at some point you can connect a keyboard and mouse to it, I can see it.

The other stuff like spellcasting/movement/abilities would be really awkward.

Now, if you asked me if Starcraft2 might be good port to an ipad, my answer would be very different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.