When Do You Think We'll Get Another WOW! Feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Sep 13, 2012.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

At this point. iPhone is 5 years old. We're on the 6th generation. It's still IMO the best smartphone out there. Best looking. Most polished etc. It gets better with every release.

The last WOW feature I think was the iPhone 4 with Retina, amazing design, etc.

At this point I don't think Apple has really brought anything new to the table. Passbook has pretty much been done. Siri has been done. Turn by turn has been done.

I just wonder what the next great feature will be. I feel like they're so predictable at this point that we shouldn't expect TOO much, but it would be nice if they did something no one else has done in terms of software.

Hardware they're definitely pushing the envelope, but I think they're scared to bring new innovative software.

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple Maps is pretty wow. It kicks the current Google Maps in the pants. But iOS is getting fairly mature. Using OS X as a guide, future Wow! is going to come from 3rd parties that Apple then buys (Siri for example). Hardware is always going to get better. I wouldn't doubt 5 years from now there is SuperRetina. Also remember we a technologically jaded plus the rumors spoil the wow surprise. The iPhone 5 is pretty cool but we knew all about it before yesterday.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Wow" is highly subjective and some just have unrealistic expectations and just aren't happy with anything. I'm really not looking for the latest revolutionary device. Reliability and build quality are my top concerns. "Wow" is something that just seems to be what people get easily bored with.

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

I think next iPhone wil include fingerprint scanner. Apple already made the buy, so it's coming. Whether simply for purchases, or for unlocking the phone, or both... I don't know. I'm still waiting for a Bluetooth wristwatch that will show me that incoming phone number or text message too lol. I know 3rd parties have them, but an Apple solution would be worth the wait.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

when there are no leaks, there will be a wow factor up launch.

7. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

I mean like, something that hasn't been done before. I love the reliability and build quality as well.

But my question was, when will we see a feature of software that no one else has done before.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You want wow? Find yourself an iPhone 2G, then compare it to the iPhone 5. It's been wow all along.

10. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

At this point I don't think we're ever going to see a WOW feature in a future iPhone. There's only so much left for smartphones. Honestly the last time I was wowed was when Motorola released the Atrix with the laptop dock. It didn't work well but the concept was awesome. That's the kind of thinking that I'm hoping returns to the iPhone platform. Right now it is clear that they are in cruise control mode. Smaller, faster and lighter is all they think about.

11. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

no one seems to understand my question. oh well.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I went wow when I saw the panorama picture feature. That's pretty dang cool.

13. brando123b macrumors regular

The biggest "Wow" left will most likely be on the design side. The iPhone 4 was so well received mostly because of the form factor. It was like nothing out there.

I always thought it would be really interesting if Apple could perfect tiny motorized systems that would allow your iPhone to morph into something larger/smaller. Possibly extend to be bigger etc without compromising usability. This is all way down the line, if ever.