When does a number actually transfer when porting a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 5S, but I have to hold off because I'm switching to AT&T from Verizon. My Verizon contract runs through Oct. 18, and I think the ETF of like $120 would apply if I canceled a day early.

But right now there's an obvious backup of the phones. I'm trying to figure out if I can order a phone a few days early and whether my number port -- the point at which Verizon considers my service terminated -- would happen the second I placed my phone order, when it was ready for shipment and my credit card is charged, or if it's when I get my phone home and activate it.

If anybody has experience with this, I would appreciate it. I bought a 4S and ported my number instantly, so I don't know about this specific situation.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ETF charges are decreased by $10 a month I think. You can call your carrier to have your ETF estimated for you when you prepare to leave. When I left AT&T for Verizon, I left right after my 2 year agreement was up so all I owed was my prorated monthly usage.

And when you port your number, it technically switched your number over instantly. In your case, I think it's once it's activated. They won't leave you without your current phone while the new one ships.

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I did the ETF calculation. I think it starts at $350, so go down $10 x 23 and you're at $120. Or it's zero on the 18th.

So I guess I need to call Verizon and ask when a porting would actually happen in that case. I can't recall if the 4S was one of those crazy ones where you HAD to get it in a store and get it activated there. I had to do that with my mom's iPhone 5 at Best Buy for some reason.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

More likely than not, the phone will arrive unactivated, and you have to call to activate the phone. At that point, the port would initiate.

5. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I just did a port from Sprint over to Verizon and it took less than 5 minutes to complete. All the porting was done online on my Verizon account.

6. Lammercy macrumors regular

Took less than 10 minutes to port from T-Mobile to Sprint.

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

So what you guys are saying is your old account wasn't canceled and your number wasn't ported until you got your new phone, plugged it up and went through activation?

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

With all the uncertainty why on earth would you do the port as part of the order?

Just order new service and after Oct 18th or when you have the phone (whichever is later) call up AT&T customer service and initiate the port.

9. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Order the phone online. If you receive it before the 19th, just leave it in the box and do not turn it on! Once you turn it on and activate, your number will port.

If you hold off activating nothing will happen.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Seems like that would have been the best place to start.

11. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

During the order I saw that same explanation from Apple. So I ordered mine. Thanks for all the info, peeps.

12. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I already had a line with Verizon with a phone on both lines. I was just simply waiting for the sprint's contract to end in order to transfer the line to Verizon and not get charged an ETF