When does AT&T start throttling me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gen, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Because, my billing cycle started over yesterday - I'm on the unlimited - and my internet is still crawling slow. My signal strength is -67, so it's pretty great.

Does anyone know when exactly AT&T starts throttling - like at which milestone?

edit: holy batman wrong forum

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

You have to be in the top 5% of data users.

3. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Right, but at which point does AT&T start throttling? When I cross over 200MB, 2GB?
    (I use a lot of my unlimited data)

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I don't think it's based on a certain amount of usage.

Say, for example, that 95% of unlimited users used 100 GB of data yet 5% used 105 GB, the way I understand it is that only those using 105 GB of data would get throttled. Of course, the numbers I'm using in the example are made up but that's how I understand it.

There was a thread a short while back where people were reporting the amount of data they were using but I can't find it at the moment. Perusing through that thread may give you an idea of where you fall in terms of data use.

EDIT: found it! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1232842

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

Perhaps this is the issue?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1267946

6. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

It is. Thanks.
    But I think ATT is starting to slow people down when they cross that 200MB mark.

I remember hearing that ATT classifies 95% of users under the 200MB mark.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I believe this only applies for the unlimited users, and even then, as stated before, the top 5%. capped data users shouldn't experience any throttled speeds at all.

8. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Right - and I im in both; unlimited, 5%. But, when does ATT start throttling? After which amount is it top 5%?

9. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Not sure if you checked out the link I added to my previous post but the below should give you an idea:

In theory, AT&T shouldn't throttle until you reach that 5%, which, in the case above, was with 11.3 GB used.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would assume that that is internal AT&T knowledge and not known to the general public. Know one on here is going to give you an exact number because frankly we(us unlimited users, rather) all experience slow downs as we perceive them, which vary greatly because of the many different variables that go into the speed of your connection.

11. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

usually after dinner and a movie...if you're lucky

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Historically, AT&T throttles its customers as soon as your credit card clears.

13. A420Turbo macrumors member

What can you do with 200MB a month these days?

Im pretty sure at least 50-75% go over the 200MB mark. I think you meant 95% of users are under the 2 GB mark.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I find it funny that they only throttle smartphone users with unlimited, but let non-smartphones use as much as they please without issue.

My current 'reported' usage = 45159.08 MB of Unlimited with another week before cycle ends.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it has to do with the lack of need for a data plan for non smartphone users and even if non-smartphone users had a data plan, their usage would be very small given the difficult nature to use such phones for watching videos, downloading content, surfing the web, etc.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

When is it considered top 5%? I'm at 10+ GB currently and I never got a email. I still have 2 weeks to go until my next cycle.

[​IMG]

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think you get an email, they will just start slowing down your speed automaticly.
    We still cant figure out when and if that happens and at what amount of data and higher they start throttling.

18. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

That's the biggest issue, honestly.
    I just spoke to an ATT person - according to them they consider the top 5% to be users who use 12x as much data as the "average" data users. I'm only at about 500Mb, 5 days into my cycle, and my speeds are still at a crawling speed.