When does it become Obama's economy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's the same thing as "When can we blame Obama for the economy". For the republicans it's as soon as possible.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Which always amazes me. Clinton's great economy was all because of Reagan and Bush I, and Bush II's was all Clinton's fault. Yet somehow the bad economy is Obama's the day after he took office...

Who's economy is always defined by the person who's doing the talking. Good comes from the last time your favored party was in power, and bad is always the fault of the opposition party.

Carter was blamed after 4 years, Clinton never got credit in his 8, and got a lot of blame for the last 8...

So when does it become Obama's economy? For the Republicans it already is, for the Dems it's as soon as it starts to improve...:rolleyes:

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For Republicans, it was actually before Obama took office.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then you are in a minority of about 13% of the population, according to a recent NBC/WSJ survey. At the moment, 84% say this situation was inherited and Nate Silver pegs the point as thus:

[​IMG]

I give him 30 months or so. Why 30 months? Because A) A new administration takes six months or so to really find its feet; it's like setting up a large new business, and B) according to the Bank of England, changes in economic policy take about two years to filter down to the real world. Besides, employment levels are a lagging indicator.

Regardless of what people say now, the first test is mid-term elections and then presidential elections in November 2012. I suspect the Republican Party will have to field an extremely strong and credible candidate to overturn Obama, and at the moment, only Mitt Romney or Michael Bloomberg seem to have the chops to make a decent run.

To expect a new President to turn around the worst economic conditions since the 1930s in six months is absurd. The Dow is not the economy.

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

8 years, conservatively, for the people that give Reagan credit for the economy during the Clinton administration.

7. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Nope, completely pulled from my arse. :eek:

just curious to hear others opinions.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D :D :D

That has me laughing out loud.

I think BV summed it up fairly well. I'd perhaps give him a little longer than her, but I certainly agree with the general post. Economy/President needs to be done on a scale over time. Judging him from a period of time doesn't really work.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The Republicans seemed ready to blame Obama for the economy in November.

Realistically, I'd say 2010 is probably when much of the first month's policies will really move the needle, but it's not till 2011 that the economy should truly be considered Obama's creation.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't understand this.

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Personally, I do not give him any grace period. I think it became his economy the day he took office and he is responsible for fixing the mistakes of past administrations. I expect him to implement solutions immediately, which is what he seems to be trying to do. I also hold him responsible for the outcome of his solutions.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I agree, but I think the OP is wondering when we can start blaming him for his solutions being ineffectual or worsening the economy. Or on the other hand, when can we expect results from his solutions.

Currently not enough time has passed to be able to blame any of the economic mess on him, or his solutions, and given the fustercluck he was handed it's likely in the range of years before we know whether or not he's improved or worsened things.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The results of these actions won't been seen for a long time, if at all.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I do too, but I also think that there's a concerted effort to tie any decline in the economy to him without regard to the previous administration's mistakes.

As for outcomes, this is entirely Obama's problem because he is now the president, but I don't it's fair to give someone a car with two flat tires, a broken key, and an empty gas tank and then demand that they immediately drive that car from Los Angeles to New York in 24 hours. It will take time, effort, and patience.

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am not a big fan of blame and credit when the economy is concerned. There are always too many uncontrolled factors involved and it is nearly impossible to determine which results came from which actions. Instead I like to look at the hand he was dealt and what cards he played. It could be that everything Obama is doing is exactly right and the economy still continues to slip into some sort of depression. On the other hand, he could be doing everything wrong, but the economy manages to right itself and thing get moving again. I prefer to compare his policies and decisions on an individual basis to see if I agree with them or not instead of believing that he has complete control over what the economy does.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well there you go being all reasonable again....

We can't have your kind here... how are we supposed to get banned if everyone stays reasonable...

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

It already is. They were praising him for when the market went up when he took office as it being to his credit, as such the slide is because of bumbling idiots he surrounded himself with and his own half baked comments.

Simply put, he is botching it and botching it bad. We have a poor economy and he is making choices that will worsen it before it gets better. That and he is making that loose pursed Bush look like a miser which I never thought anyone could. Yet another rubber stamp in the WH.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Sorry.... I guess I should have said.... Unemployement has only gotten worse since Obama has taken office. He's no Clinton! ;)

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Has has been in charge less than a quarter.

Oh. Bollocks to this. I can't be bothered anymore.

20. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Im with you on this one.
    really, when did he get credit for the economy turning up? when exactly did the economy turn up?
    I dont remember this at all....

21. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You fail to understand the power of his position. He can affect the markets and peoples faith in the system with what he says. When he does say the wrong thing it has negative consequences.

They key to note is, regardless of the hand he was dealt he is responsible to play it correctly. So far he hasn't. In fact he seems on a path to destruction because he cannot see past his hard core leftist ideology.

We have a faltering economy. This is not the time to raise taxes on those who can spend the money to help it along, invest it or otherwise.

His comment on the market was totally irresponsible, bordering on ignorant. Just who in hell does he thinks own stocks? Does he have a clue?

Cap and trade will hit lower and middle income earners harder than the wealthy. Letting the tax cuts expire and making it know he wants them too only introduces certainty into those who have the money to lock it down. As such money is pulled out of the markets thereby limiting possible investment.

I don't care what he inherited, I care about what he does with it, so far he sucks. That stimulus bill was a freaking insult to all of us. He claimed it. As such if this is what we have to expect from him he will go down as worse than President Carter.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It took us many years to get to where we are right now. Obama has been in office for about 45 days. It will take us a year to start climbing out of this hole that we are in. Give the guy a break.

23. Shivetya macrumors 65816

out of context, go read what I wrote and try again. He was given credit for the slight rise in the markets upon his taking office. If your going to take credit you have to take your punches as well.

So don't feign ignorance to support your point of view.

24. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Unfortunately too many underestimate its impact on the economy. Saying one thing is the economy is just ignorant. Ignoring the large impact the DOW has on all Americans is just as ignorant.