When does it stop being OK?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, May 17, 2010.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Because I wanted to understand the mindset of some of these right-wing extremists, I read "The Turner Diaries", a book that is often mentioned in association with such folk. So, the other day, I heard the Queen of the Iquitarod,

Source

The Turner Diaries begins with congress outlawing and confiscating all firearms, fueling anger and resentment which leads to a white-power revolution that makes Mein Kampf look tame by comparison. This statement seems to play right to that message.

Does she understand what she is doing? It appears that her words are aimed at inciting violence, even civil war. At what point does this stop being acceptable?

2. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

The biggest problem with free speech is that you're free to say anything.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All she cares about is extending her 15 minutes of shame. She doesn't care what she has to do to get it.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't totally disagree with her statement, key word being "If they thought they could get away with it" which they know they wouldn't be able to and so they will not pursue something as radical as gun bans.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

However, they do get away with limiting what types of guns I can own, how large of clips, etc. I don't agree with that

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and apparently some people are offended when others exercise their right.

Just because they don't agree with you (OP) does not make them wrong or less sane than you.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You guys just can't win over there. You finally get rid of Bush, then along pops up hockey mom to take his spot as No. 1 idiot.

One of these days I can see America issuing a press release to the world going, 'Haha, just kidding.'

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And people are allowed to be offended.

Really? Has Obama said anything about gun ownership rights? Has he "threatened" a gun ban? I'm sorry, where is this imaginary threat?

I'm sorry- this isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. I'm pro-gun ownership and it doesn't take much to see that Palin is an absolute nut job.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama has a history of supporting local gun bans in Illinois.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes it (aspects of gun ownership) has been brought up/threatened
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

thankfully, he has changed his mind
    http://www.politicususa.com/en/Obama-Assault-Weapons-Ban

Regardless, the Clinton years did bring about gun restrictions which is the Democratic party (the point of this thread)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is possibly the largest and most egregious straw man argument evar. Has anybody seriously suggested a general "gun ban"?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. Queso macrumors G4

Palin likes guns.

Palin's an idiot.

Therefore...

:D :D

14. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

I get that complete government control over all weapons is a recipe for oppression, and the second amendment provides some protection for that. Not all democrats support banning guns, perhaps in part because of this.

But my point was not to directly address the gun issue. Yes, people are allowed to say what they feel, but there are limits. The first amendment does not give you the right to incite violence. Technically, this statement is not doing that, per se, but it is on the razor's edge. This woman is reaching out to the likes of the Hutaree. That is the constituency she wants to court, we can judge her leadership abilities on that.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And could someone explain who "they" are? "They" are us. We are the ones either occupying the office or voting "them" in. Instead of saying, "If they could get away with it..." it would be more accurate to say, "If we could get away with it..."

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I personally dont know a single librool who wants to ban guns.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was addressing your post about Obama and gun ownership rights being threatened (aspects of it at least), not the OP

Yes, it is not a general ban being talked about but it would have limited ownership rights

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Their should be limits on gun ownership. We shouldn't have every mentally ill fool running around loose with a gun. Nor should felons be able to buy them legally. Limits are one thing, bans another. And Palin is talking about bans.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I disagree with limits as where do you draw the line. Should we all be regulated to only pellet guns or 22s?

To me it's all or nothing when it comes to guns and it better be all

I feel that the closest we should have to limits could be implemented in the forms of stricter background checks for different classes of weapons but if someone has a clean history, why can't they own assault rifles for instance?

Just my 2 cents

BUt I agree with Palin being foolish as the Dems would not just disregard the 2nd amendment completely

20. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

"The Dems". Seriously, there is not even close to a majority of Democrats who support "taking our guns away". Not even in principle. It is just plain nonsense that some people spew in order to widen the national divide.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who has said no one can own an assault weapon? Even Obama decided it wasn't worth pursuing. There no war on guns being waged by Obama.

Now if you want to talk about bans, let's discuss Chicago's gun ban, which is stupid, and will most likely not stand up to the constitution. Thank god, it's finally going to court.

Exactly. I'm sick of the BS from the right that keeps claiming this.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree. Sorry if my abbreviation of democrat got your panties in a twist though...

I agree, but at one point it was being pursued and talked about before he bailed on the idea. I recall stories of huge sales of assault rifles once it became clear Obama won the Presidency
    How long has that been in place? and I hope it does get overturned

I will say, on a similar note, how shocked I was that I could not bring my handguns to NY unless I went through a permit process to legally own the guns I already had owned for years. Blew my mind as it was so foreign to me. I am also amazed how restrictive NY and esp NYC is in regards to gun ownership

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So? It didn't last long at all, which means that Obama wasn;t that intent on it in the first place.

It's been around over a decade. And you can't even drive through Chicago from another state with a gun.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why the hell does anyone need an assault rifle anyways? :confused:

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For fun. It's makes your p*n*s feel bigger. ;)