When Does My Phone Number Port?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMonkey13, Oct 20, 2012.

1. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

My contract with ATT is up in three weeks. I want to get the new iPhone with Verizon. With the limited availability I was going to order from Apple now.

However, will my phone number port immediately (when I enter the info on the Apple website) or when the phone is shipped? Or will I have to do something with Verizon to activate and port when I receive the new phone?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

I guess that's the question. Does the phone come activated or do I have to activate when I receive it?

4. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

It will only get ported when you activate and use the phone. (So after you receive it)

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

You have to activate it when you receive it, otherwise nobody would have a working cell phone during the time it takes to ship it. :)

6. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just confused as others have stated that unopened boxes picked up at Apple stores are already activated.

7. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

The porting info is linked to the phone, but the process doesn't start until you turn it on.

8. imazu macrumors regular

pre-activated to the system, associated to your account that's how they know if you have a phone already ordered. but it won't be activated until you power on the device.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i ported from att to verizon at the apple store. when i was there, the port didnt happen until i signed the last thing i needed to sign and the new phone was powered on and activated. it wasnt activated already. the port takes seconds to work.

10. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

So I won't be breaking my ATT contract if I order now as long as I wait to activate the new phone after the ATT contract expires, Correct?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless something is different this year that nobody's posted about yet, what you said above is true.

12. vipJj123 macrumors member

Eventually Verizon will push the activation thru themselves, to start/enforce the contract requirements. This would probably be around two weeks time.