When does outrage really become an issue?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Dec 28, 2016.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

In this age of the internet how many people have to get offended/outraged before it is a problem and what should be used as a baseline Twitter, Facebook, etc?

We see in the news when something happens, they say things like "people got upset on social media". What does that exactly mean and at what point should it really matter?

I really don't think things/people are in general becoming more offensive or that people are getting more sensitive I just think more and more people have an outlet to voice their opinions. When we see few 1000 people start commenting on something saying it is offensive should someone immediately apologize or remove it? If 4 million people saw/read something and 1000 people felt strongly enough to comment on it is that even statistically relevant? With 3 Billion people on the internet and growing it is going to get harder and harder to say anything without offending larger and larger groups of people.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why is anyone worried about offending someone? I'm certainly not.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I try not to offend people as it's polite and respectful. Obviously people can be sensitive and it's not always easy, but if I know something I say is likely to offend I simply refrain from causing a fuss. Life is too short.

It also depends on the person though. Some people get a kick out of offending others and generally a punch in the face speaks louder than words lol.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is where we differ, if I know something will offend someone I usually will push the fold.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This reminds me of a comedy clip I saw on YouTube...

Here it is..
    Starting at 3:25... so damn true.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I edited my post before I saw this lol. Yeah I get that impression of you to be honest. You don't strike me as a particularly pleasant person who interacts very well in social situations. You seem far too aggressive for my liking with most topics. No offence intended as you also seem to have a thick skin where my opinion probably doesn't even dent the surface. :)

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I take it your not married?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am, but my wife knows that I am an *******.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'm sure like any husband you fall in line and settle for private subtle victories when their decision making backfires.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There's so much fake outrage it hard to identify anything that one should be really tweaked about.

11. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I don't support censorship of any kind so I speak my mind, and if it offends your delicate sensibilities then it's your problem not mine. People whose only goal in life is to be a victim will find something to bitch about regardless of what I say so **** em.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well, there is a fine line between not being politically correct and just being an *******. Trump and co started that BS of "I'm just not PC" to excuse their dick behavior. That being said, I think its a great question. So many reports of PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED by this and that when, in reality, its just a handful of people who are posting I'M OFFENDED and some are probably trolling. Social media sure did give these people a voice and probably make it seem like many more people then before are now offended by everything.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't live my life to be offended I can assure you. I also don't believe you speak your mind at every opportunity not caring about offending people. You wouldn't have any friends at all if that was the case.

We were at a friends house on Xmas eve and the meal she cooked was pretty awful despite the effort she put in. I lied and told her how nice it was because I'm a nice guy who doesn't go out of his way to offend. There's a time and a place to be an opinionated moron and I don't truly believe the bravado you display on here translates to real life.

Being offended is not always the offended persons problem. It depends on the content and context of the comments.

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

OP was referencing professional victim SJWs on social media so I was addressing that point. Obviously, there are times when you have to be diplomatic. I think we're talking about two different things here.

15. Gjwilly, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

A little on-topic levity from the brilliant John Finnemore.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Without face to face interaction, people do not see body language, hear voice inflection or feel emotion to fully understand a person's comment and responses are often misunderstood. If you view internet / social media as anything more that just that, you need to reconnect with real society.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Here is something I think funny "SJWs are mad at Men because they're mad that Men can write their name in the snow"!

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

In high school they taught mei "Sticks and Stones will break my bones but NAMES will always hurt"

I think there is legitimate and justified outrage. Then there are people simply looking for attention and those trying to play the victim card. Personally a strongly worded tweet is not what I consider outrage, a tweet is too easy. There are true victims in life who are affected by things. But anyone who has overcome trauma knows self pity and basking in victimhood is not how you overcome it.

But who am I to judge other people's feelings without personally knowing them or their experiences? Feelings can real even if I find them unjustified.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

lostngone, how can you ask that, in this age of "victim groups", the emotions of SJWs, the weak-minded twits and their need for safe zones? With word-twisting to make phony reality in this transgender nonsense?

Look at the little whiners who burn cars, smash windows and block roads because their side lost an election!

Way too thin-skinned because of never having faced reality. Way too quick to judge in irrational manner about trivial items.

We've been in unending war since 1991. The debt load on the part of the citizenry, corporations and all levels of government is way too high to ever be repaid. Bi-partisan police state legislation out the ying-yang. Yet people continue to go bonkers over abortion and LGBT nonsense.

Looks to me as though the children have taken control of the day-care center.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Well, it's easy for a bandwagon to grow out of control with social media. If a person with lots of followers gets offended, some of their followers will be offended, then some of the second person's followers will be, etc. So instead of the past where only people's immediate friends and family might support them, now it can grow exponentially.

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I've been off of social media for a couple of months now. Best decision ever.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The best thing to do is not engage in heated political discussions on social media. I use it to stay in touch with family and hide most of the irrelevant stuff.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Serially offended people on social media as as bad as the I'm not PC people both need to be ignored

25. Huntn, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Social media of which I'm a minimal participant is a conglomeration of voices. I won't say it's representative of the pulse of the nation, but represents a slice, sometimes a distorted slice. I imagine instead of making a general people are upset comment, based on a feeling, the news media can actually look at a documented source to make a claim about social interest.

Although this reference is not to social media, since The Trust got elected, I'm finding it every difficult to watch the news and I keep the mute button close at hand for the orange head, his surrogates, and lately agents for Israel. They are so one sided in their views. It's look at what the U.S. did in the UN, but don't look at what we are doing. To clarify, I listen until I'm ready to scream and then mute. ;)