When does the iPhone actually get activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmazz12, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jmazz12 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew when the iPhone gets activated when you buy it online? And also, when do I choose to port a phone number or not (at activation or purchase time)? Essentially, my AT&T contract ends Sept 28th and I don't want to active until then and I want to make sure that by ordering a Verizon iPhone online before then it won't get activated before that date and cause an early cancellation fee. I am also trying to port my phone number.

Thanks!

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It is activated by you once you receive it. It is your choice if you want to request the port as part of your pre-order or you can wait until you are ready to close your AT&T account.

If you don't list your current number when you pre-order, you will get a new Verizon number. Then when you get the Verizon iPhone 5 you can activate it and try it out.

When you are ready to port your AT&T number, you just contact Verizon and they can start the port. Swing by this page to verify if your number is portable and to learn more about porting.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet

Dave

3. jmazz12 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dave. and thanks for the link as well. one more question, does it activate when you receive it or when you open the box and activate it yourself. ie can you keep the phone for a week without activating it before you open it. thanks.