When even Jimmy Carter criticizes Obama on how he handled ISIS, Americans have to ask...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Nov 21, 2015.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Whose side is Obama on? Because it sure doesn't seem to be America's.

Former President Jimmy Carter believes the Obama administration “waited too long” to act on ISIS, allowing the group to shore up the funding and resources for its success in taking over parts of Iraq.

“First of all, we waited too long. We let the Islamic state build up its money, capability and strength and weapons while it was still in Syria,” Carter said in an October 7 interview with the Fort-Worth Star Telegram, “Then when [ISIS] moved into Iraq, the Sunni Muslims didn’t object to their being there and about a third of the territory in Iraq was abandoned.”

Carter said ground troops could enable the mission to succeed, but that troops would only help Iraq, not Syria, where ISIS originated.
    All is proceeding as Mitt Romney and Republicans have predicted: Obama was unprepared to be President and his Liberal leanings have caused him to fritter away the gains against Islamic extremists that were bought with blood and treasure during the 8 years Bush ran the Global War on Terrorism.

What a shame that Obama is America's first black president, because his legacy will be toxic for the chances of future minorities gaining the office.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And What exactly does being BLACK have to do with this?

Bloody hell, what a racist comment.

BL.

3. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh give it a rest. He's America's first black president in case you've been asleep for 6 years. How he performs will reflect on the chances for minorities being elected in the future.

And his performance has been dreadful. Even Jimmeh is criticizing him!

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

His race absolutely has nothing to do with his performance against IS. You know that, and decided to bring it up as that. As I said, such an asinine and racist comment.

BL.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

An openly racist thread. PRSI goes from strength to strength.

6. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

His being black was what appealed to the Democrat party. They had a choice between electing the first black president or the first woman. We got Obama.

Unfortunately, because Democrats, liberals, and the media were focused solely on race, they neglected to ensure we'd get someone as president who was capable. And so now, in the words of Obama's favorite preacher, "the chickens have come home to roost."

7. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Care to specifically state what you think is racist about observing that how the first black president performs in office will influence the chances of future minorities running for that office?

And also, what do you think about Jimmy Carter, of all people!, having the nerve to criticize another Democrat president?

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Please post more of these treatises about black people. Keep digging.

9. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Do you think Jimmy Carter's criticism of Obama was warranted?

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Would you be heralding Jimmy Carter's opinion with a new thread on any topic unless it fit in with your preconceived predjudices against Obama?

11. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The Obama administration is performing disastrously. So badly that the worst president in the last 100 years is making sense by comparison.

That's worthy of a thread, wouldn't you say?

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its a truism, but hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure Obama himself would say that it was a mistake not to have acted earlier to counter the growth of ISIL in Syria. Just as I'm sure George W. Bush would have said he could have taken warnings about terrorism more seriously, or Franklin Roosevelt could have put US military forces in the Pacific on higher alert prior to December 7, 1941.

Without trying to justify or excuse our recent failures with regard to Syria and Iraq, I think it important to recognize how - as a nation - we were thoroughly sick and tired of the cost of our military interventions in the middle east. I think we felt that we had successfully destroyed al-Quaeda as an organization, and with some justification felt it was time for Iraq itself to take responsibility for its own internal security.

Its important in these discussions to maintain a sense of proportionality. ISIL does not, in any sense of the world, pose an existential threat to us here in the US or Western Europe. Certainly not in the way that Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia may have done in a prior age. But defeating ISIL will require a different strategy from those used to counter those foes.

A work in process. But let us not repeat the mistakes of the past. Either by demonizing an entire ethnic group; nor by reckless military interventions when we have other, more accurate and precise, tools at our disposal.

13. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

He hasn't said it yet. Just last week he was claiming that ISIS was contained. Even Senator Feinstein disagrees, saying that, far from being contained, ISIS is expanding. So Obama can't even get his 20/20 hindsight right.

Bush had been in office 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Obama's had 6 years in office and the situation in the Middle East is worse than when he was inaugurated.

If by "we" you mean Liberals, Democrats, Hollywood, and the mainstream media, you're correct. And yet, America spent 50 years in Europe and Japan protecting the democracies America helped create. But "we" felt it was just too much trouble to do the same in the Middle East. And now look at the mess that's been created.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm glad you have decided to stop pointing out he is black. A small victory for the forums.

15. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The point was made that his legacy will affect the chances for minorities running for president. None of you had a comeback besides claiming "racism". What a sad commentary that is on the Democratic party.

I look at that as a win.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Did you expect the liberals, Er the democrats here to criticize Obama? Come on get with the program, war/genocide/indefinite detention w/o trial are ok because they can trust a democrat. God forbid an evil republican bombed sovereign countries w/o a declaration of war because that would be wrong and evil, Obama did it to liberate the Libyans. Just look at the Libyans and Syrians fleeing the freedom bombs Obama is sending them ......

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And none of that has anything to do with performance in the Middle East. Bush 41 brought us war. Bush 43 brought us War. Reagan brought us a major scandal and giving weapons to those who conducted 9/11. And yet you don't touch on their race.

Your true colors are showing, though they have been visible over the past 8+ years.

Yet you have Ben Carson running for POTUS. Want to talk about chances for future minorities? Herman Cain. Ben Carson. Ted cruz. Marco Rubio. Hillary Clinton. Carly Fiorina.

You want to talk about minorities? You have a gluttony of them in the race now that proves your pathetic statement wrong.

His criticism of Obama is warranted. Yet it has absolutely nothing to do with race; a statement only you have made. Again, quite visible true colors.

Bush inherited an assassination in Rabin, an even worse deterioration between Palestine and Israel thanks to one Ben Netanyahu. WTC was already attempted to be blown up, with Bush being given information on where bin Laden was, yet neglected to act on it. Then you have 9/11.

Should we even go back to Iran-Contra?

Don't get me started, because your statements yet again, can be easily proven wrong.

Reference the aforementioned list of minorities running for POTUS. And funnily enough, all but one on that list is a Republican. Want to talk about minorities? your statement falls pathetically flat.

BL.

18. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Because race was not a factor in those other presidents' elections. According to poll numbers, Obama being black is what got him elected:

How did president-elect Barack Obama win the election? Not by transcending race, but because of his race, according to an article published by a pair of Massachusetts Institute of Technology political scientists in the Boston Review. Using exit-poll numbers, Stephen Ansolabehere and Charles Stewart III build an argument that “Obama won because of race — because of his particular appeal among black voters, because of the changing political allegiances of Hispanics, and because he did not provoke a backlash among white voters.”​

Why don't you quit beating around the bush and say what you mean?

We're not running Carson because he's black, he's running because he's a brain surgeon with great conservative ideas. And he just happens to be black.

Which statement is that? And you really should tone down your rhetoric.

So you disagree that how Obama performs in office as the first black president won't affect the chances for future minorities running for president?

Firsts always bear the burden that failure will ruin things for future candidates. If JFK had failed as badly as Obama appears to be doing, the chances for Catholics being elected in the future would have been affected.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    And that's stupid. Any alleged failures on Obama's part shouldn't reflect on his race as a whole.

I thought Bush did a spectacularly bad job as president, but that doesn't mean I'm now scared to elect more white people into office. Race is about the stupidest thing to consider while voting for someone.

20. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That's like saying if a Democrat president does a crappy job, that shouldn't reflect on future Democrat candidates. Since the big deal about Obama is that he's the first black president, his legacy will affect how voters look at a potential second black president. That's just human nature.

Race wasn't a factor in Bush's election. It was a major element of Obama's.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, I keep forgetting that black people have a hive mind.

I always thought it was those snazzy hope and change posters...

22. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't think he's intentionally mishandling ISIS, that's a bizarre claim. I just think he's a domestically focused President (and I like what he's done in the U.S; no regrets voting for him in regards to that) who doesn't handle foreign affairs very well in a time where the U.S. needs someone more capable. Doesn't help that he apparently gets rid of military advisors he disagrees with too. A bunch of yes men doesn't do anyone any good. You'd think he would have learned that from Dubya.

I do think people could potentially not vote for a black candidate because of his failings. Is that racist? Yes. Is that realistic? In America at least, yes. I know I wouldn't vote for someone with the Bush name after his failings, or for a Clinton after her failings; it wouldn't be a stretch for some people to apply the same to race.

23. DUCKofD3ATH, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh, there'll be other factors considered if Obama's legacy crashes and burns:
    • Never elect a Chicago politician president again
    • Never elect a Liberal Democrat president again
    • Never elect someone as inexperienced as Obama again
    All these things will be in people's minds when they go to the polls to vote against candidates who fit those qualifications.

Obama's really hurt the Democrat party in a big way.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Meh. The only thing on people's mind will be if there is a D or an R next to their candidate.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It is a sad indictment of American politics that you backpedal to those issues only after playing the race card and being called on it.