When full screening a second monitor main screen switches to black?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Feb 27, 2014.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

When I have a second monitor connected and drag a video over to that side and make it full screen the main screen (my macbook) switches to that black screen picture? Why can't I have a full screened video on my second monitor and still work?

The workaround is to just drag the video to almost full size and watch but I'd prefer to know why this is happening and I'd prefer to have it full screen.

Hopefully I'm explaining this okay, any help?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what version OSX?

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

4. anonnymouse macrumors regular

I'll chime in with the others here. You are probably running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or earlier. OS X 10.9 Mavericks finally fixed the problem of losing use of the second screen once you full-screened an app on the first screen.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And if you're already on Mavericks, make sure you have the option in Mission Control (in System Preferences) that says "Displays have separate Spaces" checked.

6. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Mountain Lion. I've been avoiding upgrading to Mavericks at fear of a few programs not working.

----------

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, looks like I might have to.

Thanks for the help everyone.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What apps? Have you Googled their compatibility?

8. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Just a few random emulators and stuff. I'm perfectly happy with ML and keep hearing about problems with 10.9.2 so I just don't really see the point, even though I want that full screen thing. That might be the only reason I update soon. Pretty silly that even existed.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I haven't heard about many problems with Mavericks, all the people I know are really happy with it. It's not like it's a major update, not that much changes.

10. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Ughhhhhhhh just updated to Mavericks and same problem.

VLC, drag over to second screen, full screen VLC, bam, main screen is black.

Really didn't want Mavericks but upgraded to fix this but it's still broke. Dammit.

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Screenshots?

Don't feel like it was all for nothing, you can not do this with 10.8. You just have a another problem now.

12. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

The screenshot would just be a black screen.

All works well with two screens, can drag stuff back and forth, everything good.

As soon as I try to full screen an app on my second attached monitor, my mac screen switches to just a black screen. Can't do anything until I un full screen the second monitor, then as soon as I un-full screen my main screen macbook monitor comes back and is usable again.

I had this same functionality with ML, everything worked great with two screens until I wanted a full screen video.

13. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Pure black, no faint fabric pattern? How are you getting out of fullscreen mode? Can you get the menubar to show up?

14. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Nope, pure black screen. Only can see the backlight.

I get it back by moving my mouse all the way to the left until I see it on a second (full screened monitor) and then I double clicked, or click the window and "esc" to un-full screen it.

After I have done that I have my first monitor back to normal.

To clarify when I full screen my second connected monitor only my Macbook main screen is black, I can still use the connected monitor. I thought it was an advertised feature that you can use both while full screen now? (pretty silly this wasn't always a thing and needed to be an ad feature)