When I pick up my 5s from Apple, will everything still be on my old 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushbaby, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I am downloading the photos using a 3rd party software app to my computer. I can't sync with iTunes because it will erase everything (not the same computer). I understand Apple will move my contacts over and the old phone won't be usable. But what will I still be able to access on the old phone?

Meaning, do I need to have everything I want saved backed up (old texts, etc) somehow before I go into the Apple store? I would like to pick up my phone that is waiting today. Last I read, they were not buying old 4s at the Apple store, so I'll still have the phone for a while.

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I didn't know apple transferred contacts? the only way to get everything from your 4S to your 5s would be to restore from backup. you can backup on a new computer when you log onto your iTunes account.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why don't you just back up to iCloud? Then, when you get your new phone, just restore from your iCloud backup and it will restore your contacts, photos, texts, apps, settings, etc..

You don't have to touch iTunes or even touch a computer.

4. bushbaby thread starter macrumors 6502

bushbaby

http://www.apple.com/retail/personalsetup/
    iPhone
    We’ll transfer your contacts and set up your email, calendar, and Find My iPhone. Then we’ll help you shop the App Store and download apps that match your interests.

Thanks, but I've given up on the iTunes backup. I have more than one iTunes account and the option of "erase everything" just makes me shy away. I'm not so much interested in putting everything from the 4s on the 5s, but saving it on my external hard drive (what I'm doing with the photos now).

5. taran420 macrumors 6502a

If you are syncing your contact to iCloud then you can bring your contacts in your new phone when you setup your iCloud. If not then you would need to use backup.

6. bushbaby thread starter macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I would have to increase my iCloud storage to do that, paying a yearly charge. But once these photos are saved, then maybe that will be a good final solution, thanks for that.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can use the Image Capture application on Mac to get your photos from your iPhone, or use iPhoto. Save them on your computer, then you can take them off of your iPhone and backup (assuming photos are what's taking up the majority of your potential iCloud backup).

8. bushbaby thread starter macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I'm running OSX 10.7.4 on a MacBook Air. I used imacsoft to move the photos to a hard drive so solved it that way, (because yes, the bulk was camera photos) but I'm wondering, it doesn't look like I have image capture on my machine.