When I tap on a picture in a text to make it full screen, the status bar disappears permanently

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Mar 26, 2016.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

When I tap on an picture in a text conversation to make it full screen, then tap it once more to remove the bars at the top and bottom, if I return to the text conversation without tapping the image once again to bring the bars back the status bar with the person's name remains gone and I can't see who I'm texting. The only way to get it to reappear is to either return to the full screen version of the image and tap it again to bring back the bars or close the Messages app using the app switcher. It shouldn't do this, when I return to the conversation it should reappear, has anyone else experienced this glitch?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

And how are you doing that?

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

By swiping right from the far left edge of the screen. I thought that was a built in feature of the iPhone?

4. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

If you swipe left on a picture in a messaging thread it either goes to the picture before it in the thread or nowhere. It never goes back to the message thread. Not to mention when you choose a picture in a thread the bars DONT pop up unless you tap the screen in the first place. I call shenanigans. :)

5. I7guy macrumors G5

I can't replicate this either.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Shenanigans? Why would I lie about this lol. When I say swipe right from the far left edge I mean the very edge of the screen, and this does not move to the previous picture. It used to be only available if you jailbroke but then like many great features it was adopted by Apple I believe. Maybe I'm wrong and it's still exclusive.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Same behavior here--swiping left doesn't go back to the conversation.

9. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Swiping left doesn't ever go back to the conversation if you are in a photo of said conversation. It just....doesn't. You must have some magic phone ;)

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you talking about the 3D Touch action that brings up the previous app used only available on 6s and 6s Plus? Even with that you'd go to the precious app which wouldn't be Messages given that you are in messages already.

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I said swiping right from the left edge, not swiping left.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    No I have a 6.

12. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

No matter what I try this just doesn't happen for me.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

I meant to say swiping right from the left edge. In either case, swiping right or left doesn't get back to the conversation though.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok, hmm maybe that is a jailbreak tweak and that's what is causing my problem.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like that was one of the first things that should have been mentioned rather than having everyone essentially pointlessly going around in circles.

16. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

You do realize who you are asking this? ;)

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I wasn't, that feature does exist in many of the stock iPhone apps.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

That doesn't change the fact that it's important to mention something as important as the device being jailbroken when trying to troubleshoot something.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I deliberately refrained from even mentioning jailbreaking bc I knew people would immediately rule out any other possibile cause. In this case, however I turned out to be wrong.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Except it became petty clear that the described behavior wasn't native yet we kept on going in circles about it for no reason until finally the jailbreak part came out that should have been there way earlier.