When/if the MBP updates are announced there's going to be lots of dissapointed people

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tremendous, Feb 7, 2008.

1. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

I read threads of people saying they are holding out, desperately, for a MBP update and need a computer now, and people who seem to make every tuesday a super-tuesday (if i were the Apple VP of customer services i'd take the store down every Tuesday for a giggle), and rumour after rumour that constantly gets dates wrong or seem too outlandish to be true (although i'll take a pink anything)

But what's going to happen when it's a tiny incremental update, and performance is no better in real world use than the current range>

I mean, it could happen. Why do you all have such faith in these imminent changes? Even if changes (and significant ones) are made, a lot of people are going to claim it's not what they wanted..what then? Back to waiting for another 6 months...

If you need a computer, buy one. you're always going to be behind within a few months, whichever way you look at it...

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's what happens every time. It's a vicious cycle without end...

3. tremendous thread starter macrumors 6502

tremendous

but no one ever learns that. well, some people do. you obviously have. but there's a thread with a guy saying 'i'm going to buy a dell!' all because he can't get a brand new MBP. well..i mean, is it like..where people say 'I'M GOING TO JUMP!!' and never intend to, but like the attention and hope it will bring that long since dumped yr ass girlfriend back?

maybe it's not like that.

either way, just buy a damn computer. or don't. stop obsessing so much!

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Couldn't have it said better myself tremendous my friend. The rumoured updates are gonna be pretty small anyway so no one would've missed out if they'd bought their MBP eariler on. Now if the rumours were for a completely redesigned MBP and some amazing cool, never before seen, features then I'd understand all the people holding on.

The fact is most people could've been enjoying a powerful, gorgeous looking machine for months now rather than stressing and checking sites like MacRumors every chance they get to see whether their beloved update has finally arrived or whether there's any more "reliable" rumours about it.

Haha, that's a brilliant idea. I loved it the other day when the store went down and so many people on this thread were expecting the new MBP's to magically appear only for the new iPhone and iPod Touch models to take their place. People seriously need to relax cos I swear all this anticipation followed by anti-climax week on week can't be good for your heart or health in general.

If you need something, buy it and enjoy! :)

P.S. Are you OK? :D

5. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

That's all a lot of people are after, although nobody'd say no to an overhaul.

6. tremendous thread starter macrumors 6502

tremendous

Am i OK? i'm ****ing brilliant mate. cheers for asking!

7. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

Agreed ! I bought a MBP Rev C as a refurb

from Apple in June 2007. So it was several months old! The bugs were fixed and I had already sized the model I needed anyway.
    Very happy with my purchase. :D

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I think what people are waiting for with the laptop lines, more than new features/speed, is a price drop. I distinctly recall buying my 1st-gen MBP in April 2006, and then four months later there was a so-so upgrade (speed bump + glossy screens).... which came with a $400 drop in price.

I'm waiting on revisions of the products I want to buy, not because I'm scared that the new one will be faster (there will certainly be an increase; just as certainly, it will be marginal), but because I don't want to buy something now, and have Apple drop the price on me a few months later.

9. tremendous thread starter macrumors 6502

tremendous

this is a great big thread of happy buying love and i love all you guys.

of course, i'm still running an old G4 powerbook, but when he finally dies (god rest his soul) i'm not going to fanny about waiting for macbooks to come with free dirigibles before i purchase.

10. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

While I agree with your sentiment that people should 'bite the bullet' as it were and just get a new machine, you seem to miss one rather important point. This is a mac 'rumours' site, hosted and patroned by an obsessive, often fanatical community of mac-addicts. We love everything Mac, revel in the nuances of features like LED battery-meters and take great pleasure in attempting to predict the next generation, just around the corner on a seemingly endlessly winding road. You're right, you can wait forever for the next-gen and always be behind the times but equally you can't quash our desire to predict the future!
    IMO, we're looking at a small upgrade with trackpad/keyboard overhaul and a move to Penryn but with the same old 8600M GT.

May the predictions never cease! We're all probably wrong anyway! :D

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Hold on a sec, according to this recent MacRumors story, the prices for the three models are going to stay the SAME:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/03/new-macbook-pros-appearing-in-retail-inventory/

Of course it is a rumour, but if it's true then people aren't gonna be financially better off waiting to buy ... unless you buy the models they'll be replacing. Retail stores normally knock off a couple of hundred if they still have old stock in and the refurbished store prices will definitely be cheaper.

12. duddled macrumors newbie

Honestly why are so many people being so negative about other people waiting, it is compleltly their choice and it has nothing to do with you so why bitch that they are.

Why do people set up forums to bitch like this it doesn't get you anywhere and it just makes others realise what a D-Bag you are.

13. conchshell macrumors member

Anticipation is half the fun imo. :D Of course if I had no computer at all, I probably would agree though

14. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I'm quite pleased that my MBP which was purchased Feb. '07 for $1999 is only $100 less today in the Apple Outlet. It's been a real workhorse for me, and does the job it needs to do. It also looks and behaves like new--cannot ask any more from a machine than this.:D

15. ewxlt macrumors regular

You forget...to some...new is always better.

16. 7even macrumors 6502a

It is :D Seriously all I want is an up-to-date machine for the amount of money I'm about to drop on a laptop. An incremental update would make the MBP perfect.

17. wwwchrisde macrumors member

why am I waiting for two month now?

1st I'm a switcher, so I'm not sure wether or not I should switch, so reading goes first.
    2nd I want as much for my money I can get when I buy (and yes I know it'll be outdated very soon)
    3rd At the moment I can live without a laptop
    4th recent releases from Apple indicate that the next revision could look like this model :)

Attached Files:

18. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Personally, I'm hoping for the new processor and maybe multi-touch track pad. Anything other than that is a bonus.

I'm not expecting new MBP before the release of 10.5.2.

I'm also not blowing $2K on 'old' technology, so I'm going to wait until when ever Apple release MBPs.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I agree. A lot of people just
    don't like the idea of paying the same price today as six months ago for the same technology. When they don't change anything and don't lower the price, it just feels like you're getting taken for a ride, even when the current model is plenty good enough. It's a psychological thing.

20. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I'm waiting because I don't like wasting money

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, because a new MBP would be such a poor upgrade over your G3 iBook. Seriously, it's not a waste of money.

22. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

A multitouch trackpad is a bit more than an 'incremental' change. The current trackpad (3 generations old) with it's giant fugly button is going to be antiquated when the new MBPs come out. Well, it already is since the Air is out.

If you are looking at the 17" MBP (which I am), getting LED backlighting is also a BIG change.

Add to this the possibility of a revamped keyboard to replace the current one (again, 3 generations old) and someone would have to be pointing a gun to my head to make me buy now.

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Pretty much. You can divide the forum into people who buy when they need and stop looking until they need again, and people who are constantly upgrading or waiting for perceived improvements.

24. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I run on 2-3 cycle on all my computer equipment. That is the best, I don't see the point of upgrading every few months.

25. johnnyi08 macrumors newbie

i would like the upgrade to bring faster speed's ,blue-ray drive,QLED backlight screen and in black :)