When in Wyoming, visit Jennings & Rall

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wyoming being in the news this week has prompted me to suggest a somewhat lighter topic for a change.

I know we have some Jericho fans at MacRumors, and I'd like to discuss an aspect that probably shouldn't go in the regular forums:

Have you noticed how much the show is turning into an allegory for the Bush administration?

If you watch the series, you can't help seeing it. Civilian contractor Jennings & Rall is basically Halliburton. Private security firm Ravenwood is really Blackwater.

But the one that gets me is the conspiracy plot. The Cheyenne government has told America that the nuclear bombs were set off by North Korea and Iran...Bush's two "other" "axes of evil". We and a few select folks in Jericho know better, of course.

Have you seen any other parallels to real life in the show? Sometimes I think that little bald-headed sumbitch is supposed to be Cheney, but I'm not sure.

2. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Tom Veil, there are times when you are spot on. This is indeed one of those times. I really like the show, but I suspect it won't last much longer. I understand it's getting killed in the ratings. :mad:

Oh yeah, I've noticed all those things. Don't forget the re-written school history books.

The bald-headed sumbitch is character actor Daniel Benzali. He's a great actor, and always a perfect fit for parts such as this. Only problem with your theory is that he lacks Cheney's power-crazed look.

3. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been noticing too, as it looked like j&r and ravenwood were connected in some big fascist takeover plot with ravenwood being some rouge police force, but when you say it like that, it makes me wonder sometimes about how close to home Jericho could be...

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

if you don't know, the show was cancelled again, and someone alluded that perhaps one of the reasons that cbs canned it was due to the show being too close to the truth of america today and that the government forced them to cancel the show. i doubt that is why the show got canned, but does make you think if it had anything to do with it...

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You know, I'm not much for conspiracies, but didn't this happen to Montel too? He said something on Fox News and was supposed to be back after the break, then he wasn't. Then his show got canceled. I suppose both were slipping in the ratings, and I've only caught a few shows of either, but it does make you wonder. I have to think though that it's like the recent movies about the wars. Most of them haven't been very good anyway. Add the fact that it's about something even some of us who are against Iraq don't want to think about sometimes, and you have poor numbers. Jericho seemed like a good show, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it. You'd think it was more popular as much as you hear about it, but it's a weird way they count ratings, and some really good shows get canceled while crappier ones stay forever.

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The show was cancelled, but they are shopping it around to other networks. Hopefully someone else picks it up.

Although, I asked around and nobody I know watches it. I guess it's tough to be up against American Idol. Did CBS seriously think it would pull big numbers to begin with?

Back on Topic, yeah, I found it funny that they leveled the two countries without having any real proof. Sound a little familiar.

I also found it funny that you can unleash general mayhem and destruction, but don't steal from the company!

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I sure hope so. Sci-Fi Channel looks like a natural, though I don't care for the channel itself very much.

I do blame CBS at least in part for not promoting Jericho more, but I really don't think there's anything conspiratorial about the cancellation; it's just ratings...or lack of them.

On the other hand, a handful of ding-dongs got that Reagan movie taken off of CBS (and later moved to Showtime) because it didn't do "proper homage" to the image of the great Gipper. And a bunch of other ones screwed over The Book of Daniel a couple of seasons ago. So you never know.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, hope scifi picks it up but I'm not holding my breath. I enjoy shows that have actual character development (like Battlestar).

9. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Sometime over the weekend, I read about Jericho being cancelled, and that tonight's episode would be the series finale. Alas. :(

The conspiracy theories are interesting, but of course, there is no proof of anything. So, that's all they are, interesting. No, I'm pretty sure it was that old bugaboo, ratings. Oh yes, that other bugaboo, "the right demographic".

Sad to say, "American Idol" pulls in the right demographic, mostly teens who spend money at malls on the weekends. Jericho simply wasn't doing this. That's my theory, anyway.

I really hope another network picks this up. Meanwhile, there's always the ITMS.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just don't know how they're gonna slap an ending on this thing.

The kind of episode they had last week, they look like they're heading toward making the story more complicated instead of wrapping it up.

They've got a lot of issues to resolve in one hour: Beck, Beck's superior (that bald-headed SOB), John Smith, the "President", the meeting in Cheyenne, Jennings and Rall, finding the bomb...

Well, I guess I'm off to find out how they do it.... :(