When IOS 5.1 is released will you switch off 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Feb 19, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Seeing as it has Been nothing but trouble for some...will you turn it off to help your battery life?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No, but I do have a few questions:

1. What trouble has 3G caused?
    2. What does that trouble have to do with the release of iOS 5.1?

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Well, no. Why would I want to cripple my iPhone by effectively turning off the Internet?

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

3G has to me been the issue with battery life..having 3G on all the time means it is always searching for a connection and which uses up battery. That has been clear when at work.

IOS 5.1 it has been stated you can switch 3G off where currently you can’t.

----------

Because currently when not in a 3G area it uses battery by searching for a connection.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

All I can say is that I keep 3G on all the time, rarely use Wi-Fi, and have no battery issues, so I will not turn off 3G.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

You know I never thought about this until I see this post. I think another reason they brought back this switch is because of iPad's LTE so either 4G speeds or nothing. Also this might save battery life on it from trying to switch back and forth and looking for the strongest 3G signal when you already have a 4G signal, etc. etc.

and to answer your question yes I would disable 3G when needed.

7. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My battery "issues" come from frequent use. Nothing more.

8. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

A switch would only be justifiable when you have 4G speeds. 4G speeds are great but they kill the phones battery. The phone (CPU) is processing so much information so quickly there is not way around the battery getting torn to shreds. In that scenario having the ability to switch to 3G is a positive.

I know first hand having had the Nexus on 4G.

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No way, just use the damn phone

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It would never even occur to me to turn off 3G.

In have never had problems like you describe. Excellent coverage every where I go.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You can disable 3G? I've never had a need to do that, so I never even thought to find out if you could. Go figure....

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

only when very low on battery and still need data .... just like I used to do with my old iPhone 4

13. Rennir macrumors 6502

14. wymi macrumors regular

I will turn it off in a heartbeat if my Verizon 4s gets that option. Keeping my fingers crossed I get that option.

15. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

in my 4s i can on and switch to off why u guys can switch off ?

16. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I haven't used it, but there's an App on Cydia for jailbroken phones called "Auto3G". It falls back to EDGE when the phone is in standby mode, and when you use the phone, it switches onto 3G.

It may be worth looking into.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

3G is not the same as data
    2G is not the same as "EDGE"

3G UMTS networks can provide the ability to handle calls, SMS and data.
    2G GSM networks can provide the ability to handle calls, SMS and data.

Turning off 3G will not turn off data access on your phone.

If your carrier allows you to connect to a 2G GSM network that offers data services through GPRS or EDGE, then you'll still be able to connect to the internet when the "Enable 3G" switch is toggled to off

Some carriers don't support EDGE at all and most don't have EDGE coverage across their entire 2G network.

18. andyprit macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I won't be able to. I'm on a 3G only network :/

19. Daveoc64, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The "Enable 3G" switch is only missing on the iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0+ have retained the switch.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You are correct. Why would Apple pull it from the 4S? Seems odd to me.

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

I know this, which is why I used the word 'effectively' in my post. My carrier (the same as yours, I believe) has such an ineffective 2G network that I may as well turn off all data. I don't think I've ever been able to access anything on Three's GPRS network.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The thing is, the phone still looks for the 3G connection for voice, regardless of whether or not you have turned data off/ Simply turning data off will not save you battery, except in the sense that mail and such will not be downloaded, thus saving the potential batter drain of sporadic data transfer. In theory, actually being able to turn 3G off in a case where there is no 3G signal but there is a 2G signal should theoretically help with battery drain issues.

FWIW, for those who are jailbroken, you can add a tweak to turn off 3G.

23. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

People don't want to just turn off cellular data. THey want to actually turn off JUST 3G. Your 4S is an accurate representation of every other 4S out there. You don;t have the option to turn off ONLY 3G.

25. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The reason you've not been able to use Three's "GPRS Network" is that they don't have one.

They have a roaming agreement with Orange that allows Three customers to use the Orange 2G network in selected areas where there is no 3G signal.

They don't permit users to use data whilst roaming on the Orange 2G network due to the costs involved.

Given these costs, Three disables the "Enable 3G" toggle on all iPhones used on its network.

----------

It should save a LOT of battery, because the phone won't initiate and maintain a PDP connection. That in itself will save a lot of power over time vs. not turning it off.