When iPhone 5 will come out

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Since we've got iPad 3 in the mail, let's start the guessing game on iPhone release date. When do you think it's going to come out? My bet is October, but I hope June, although with Mountain Lion coming out in summer, WWDC may be more like Mountain Lion event and maybe iOS 6. What do you think?

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Didn't you get the memo? It's no longer iPhone 5, 5s, 6, etc... its simply "iPhone"

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I'll go with us returning to the June/July release window, with a possible TV or iPad Nano in he fall.

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just CRINGE anytime I hear people call it the iPhone 5. I've said it before and I'll say it yet again: the next phone will be Apple's sixth generation iPhone. There's no way in hell they're gonna put a 5 on what is their sixth phone. And now that the numeric surname has been dropped off the iPad, it's an even safer bet to say there will NEVER be an iPhone 5.

They'll call it the iPhone PooPoo before they call it the iPhone 5. Trust! :p

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I'm hoping for June not this Fall. They are already behind other phones that have been offering 4G for awhile now. I want a 4G phone and a larger screen so if they don't launch it this Summer, I may go with something else.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
"the new iPhone" will be rumored for october-november. but who's really to say? Just hope that day comes soon because I want one!:apple:

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I just CRINGE anytime I hear people call it the iPhone 5. I've said it before and I'll say it yet again: the next phone will be Apple's sixth generation iPhone. There's no way in hell they're gonna put a 5 on what is their sixth phone. And now that the numeric surname has been dropped off the iPad, it's an even safer bet to say there will NEVER be an iPhone 5.

You could very well be correct in saying there will never be an iPhone named "iPhone 5", but the your logic behind it is completely flawed.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010

Your logic is borderline retarded.

There's clearly no way in hell they would put a number 4(s) on their 5th iPhone model right?

Only Apple know what it will be called.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I might buy one outright if it has a bigger screen and LTE. I definitely will if it has that stuff plus NFC.

I'm betting on November that way I'm unlikely to be disappointed.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I'm hoping for a summer time release as well. I think for the phone, it makes a lot of sense.

Time will tell however.
I'm hoping end of June.

Everyone who got an iPhone 4 release day with a 24 month contract will be due to renew end of June.

If Apple hold off till October there is a chance (myself included) that they wont get the business from those in that scenario as they may find another handset from a different manufacturer in the 4 months of waiting for the next iPhone.

I mean with all the quad core, larger screen, better camera, better graphics competitor phones on the market - its highly appealing, especially when you know the next iOS probably wont be groundbreakingly (even although this isn't a bad thing) different so it may appeal to some to try something different.

Not to mention by October the 4S will be even more dinosaur, they should be pushing to get their next iPhone on the market

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I just CRINGE anytime I hear people call it the iPhone 5...
And I cringe when this tired argument comes up. It's likely 99% of iPhone buyers know how many preceeding phones there have been. If the next iPhone is calles the 5 then the masses will know "5 > 4S". They could always call it the New iPhone.

OP, I think there will likely be ~12 months or more between upgrades. The current generation sell well, even up to just before a new release. As Apple can make a profit by not rettoling produciton lines, there is little incentive (short of a competitor upping the ante significantly) for them to upgrade. And in terms of features, the platform is maturing and most advances are evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. Most advances come from the iOS side of development now. In addition, people would howl with a short interval release.

In June, at WWDC iOS 6 and ML will officially be previewed. Then the next iPhone, iOS 6 and ML will all be released within a couple weeks of each other in... My guess, september.

As for the name. I think it will go back to iPhone. I don't really want them to call it iPhone 5. But there's no way they'd call it iPhone 6. Everyone would wonder where the iPhone 5 was. Maybe iPhone LTE? Or some other descriptive name based on the features

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
If Apple hold off till October there is a chance (myself included) that they wont get the business from those in that scenario as they may find another handset from a different manufacturer in the 4 months of waiting for the next iPhone.
I love when people say this.

Like some big wig at Apple is sitting in Cupertino reading MacRumors saying "uh oh, barryl85 is threatening to get another phone if we don't release the next iPhone this summer. Call China and put a rush on it!"

You, and everyone else, will wait for the next iPhone whenever it's released. You know it and Apple knows it.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL

So when are you saying the iPhone 5 will be out? :D

Oh yeah, and don't trust anyone who shoots a 26 caliber, they're just plain old weird. ;)

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I love when people say this.

Like some big wig at Apple is sitting in Cupertino reading MacRumors saying "uh oh, barryl85 is threatening to get another phone if we don't release the next iPhone this summer. Call China and put a rush on it!"

You, and everyone else, will wait for the next iPhone whenever it's released. You know it and Apple knows it.
Hmm you seem to be twisting this a little considering what I wrote was my own opinion. And you are obviously unaware of how many people are probably in the same situation as myself.

Are you trying to say everyone will be happy to wait 5 extra months on the next iPhone? (technically 6months for me as i'm eligible to upgrade a month early).

So that means my iPhone 4 contract would be as well being a 29 month contract?

You really think i'm going to wait on the next iPhone? Hmmm you can obviously read my mind, or didn't I just write that I would be shopping around if it is being held back to October.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Are you trying to say everyone will be happy to wait 5 extra months on the next iPhone? (technically 6months for me as i'm eligible to upgrade a month early).
Seems to be what happened with 3GS users and the 4S. Pretty sure that extra 5 month wait for them didn't hurt Apple much considering how well the 4S has been selling.

"The New iPhone" will be out around the October timeframe.