Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Since the new Macs have only Thunderbolt 3 - you will need a adapter to connect the USB from a phone to the Mac for iTunes and other uses like charging, transfers etc. I would assume at some point the iPhone will no longer come with a lighting to USB cable but a lightning to Thunderbolt 3 (and the actual charger change also).
I wonder when this will happen.

Once again Apple is making all the cables and chargers etc. that you have junk. At some point they will just turn off users. At least, at the prices they charge, they could include a bunch of new cables with the equipment.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
i-devices went from firewire to 30-pin to lightning and sales just kept skyrocketing. changing connector types won't do anything to affect number of users significantly. if anything, it would be lack of innovation in the device itself that would turn off users.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Yes but firewire, 30 pin to lightning were really only Apple connectors. I understand all the need for connectors but it is getting strange. One of the points of this post was when does Apple change what is in the iPhone box to get rid of USB a and move to the new standard for Apple. Personally, I think Apple is a little hung up on smaller and thinner and to keep moving that bar rather than making it easier for users. Forget a charger - go into any convenience store today and buy a new one - makes it easy when you travel.
Time will tell but they have to switch what they ship in iPhone to match their other prime products.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
people will just migrate their devices and cables as they update their devices. same as when apple moved from 30 pin to lightning. same as Android OEMs currently moving to usb c.

Since the new Macs have only Thunderbolt 3 - you will need a adapter to connect the USB from a phone to the Mac for iTunes and other uses like charging, transfers etc. I would assume at some point the iPhone will no longer come with a lighting to USB cable but a lightning to Thunderbolt 3 (and the actual charger change also).
I wonder when this will happen.

Once again Apple is making all the cables and chargers etc. that you have junk. At some point they will just turn off users. At least, at the prices they charge, they could include a bunch of new cables with the equipment.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Yes but firewire, 30 pin to lightning were really only Apple connectors. I understand all the need for connectors but it is getting strange. One of the points of this post was when does Apple change what is in the iPhone box to get rid of USB a and move to the new standard for Apple. Personally, I think Apple is a little hung up on smaller and thinner and to keep moving that bar rather than making it easier for users. Forget a charger - go into any convenience store today and buy a new one - makes it easy when you travel.
Time will tell but they have to switch what they ship in iPhone to match their other prime products.
90% or more of iPhone users are not buying new computers right now nor are they going to do it real soon so there's still a huge benefit to a type A end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.