Carrier When is AT&T’s “5G E” indicator coming to iPhone?

Aftermath747

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
So AT&T has started rolling out the 5G E network indicator on select Android phones with LTE-A support. Since the newest iPhones support LTE-A, when will the iPhone get the new indicator?

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Well it won’t come to iPhone until it’s real and hardware supports it. I don’t think the current iPhones will ever say LTE-A. But who knows

Last edited:

Aftermath747

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Well it won’t come to iPhone until it’s real and hardware supports it. I don’t think the current iPhones will ever say LTE-A. But who knows
There’s some precedent for it. Back when we were transitioning from 3G to LTE, AT&T pushed an update that made iPhones say “4G” when they were on an HSPA+ network, which was really just advanced 3G technology.

Reactions: darksithpro

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There’s some precedent for it. Back when we were transitioning from 3G to LTE, AT&T pushed an update that made iPhones say “4G” when they were on an HSPA+ network, which was really just advanced 3G technology.
Which caused confusion for some given that 4G was actually LTE for most of the world and not what it was being used for when it came to AT&T on iPhone. Standards are standards and that's what should be used, and not some marketing speak.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
So AT&T has started rolling out the 5G E network indicator on select Android phones with LTE-A support. Since the newest iPhones support LTE-A, when will the iPhone get the new indicator?
Don’t support phone carriers that use fake networks to deceive sheeple into thinking they have something new when it’s the same exact specs that every other carrier has. Thank God Apple stands up to AT&T.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don’t support phone carriers that use fake networks to deceive sheeple into thinking they have something new when it’s the same exact specs that every other carrier has. Thank God Apple stands up to AT&T.
They didn't before when they put out "4G".

Reactions: M.Rizk

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Even though it’s a false representation, it won’t influence my choice of carrier. AT&T works better more places I travel than any other network (including Verizon).

I can see it coming to iPhone through a carrier update.

Reactions: imlynxy

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
I believe all AT&T has to do is issue a carrier update. It doesn't have to rely on Apple releasing an update.

Remember with the original iPhone when AT&T enabled MMS? They did it through a carrier update file.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Even though it’s a false representation, it won’t influence my choice of carrier. AT&T works better more places I travel than any other network (including Verizon).

I can see it coming to iPhone through a carrier update.
I get better reception with my Verizon then I did at AT&T even with a non-CDMA iPhone.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

iPhone 4s, HSPA+, AKA: 3.5G:D

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I travel in the Appalachian areas of Kentucky and Virginia quite a bit. Verizon is non-existent.

Either way, I don't doubt we'll be seeing the 5Ge on iPhones.
Back in 2011 AT&T still had a lot of power over the iPhone. I don't think they'd be able to pull this off nowadays

Reactions: revmacian

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
5G is 2020 though given Apple's iPhone situation they may want to move that tech up to get one out next year.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I'm surprised they are going ahead with this. They are getting crushed about this on social media by T-mobile's CEO and Verizon put out full page newspaper ads lambasting them for it. With all the bad press and being called out on this I figured they would scrap it.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
I'm surprised they are going ahead with this. They are getting crushed about this on social media by T-mobile's CEO and Verizon put out full page newspaper ads lambasting them for it. With all the bad press and being called out on this I figured they would scrap it.
Carriers are stubborn.

I remember when Verizon put the same UI on every phone they had back in the day and for years people blasted them for it. They never changed it until they had no choice.

Last edited:

BigPictureGuy

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2018
Why aren’t we surprised? AT&T’s focus has always been on over charging and misleading customers into getting a service that should cost far less.

It’s the same thing they are about to do with the government tax breaks they received last year. Despite billions in tax breaks and regulatory favors AT&T promised would dramatically boost both investment and job creation, AT&T is preparing for yet another significant round of layoffs according to internal documents obtained by Motherboard.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxeg/atandt-preps-for-new-layoffs-despite-billions-in-tax-breaks-and-regulatory-favors

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
So, hypothetically, if this does get pushed out, what iPhones would even get this? Would it be LTE-Advanced models (I think the 6S and later, except the SE)?

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the faux-4G indicator for HSPA+, so I'm hoping this doesn't happen (I wouldn't mind the iPhone have more degrees of feedback of the type of cellular data connection, but most people don't seem to care).

Aftermath747

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
So, hypothetically, if this does get pushed out, what iPhones would even get this? Would it be LTE-Advanced models (I think the 6S and later, except the SE)?

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the faux-4G indicator for HSPA+, so I'm hoping this doesn't happen (I wouldn't mind the iPhone have more degrees of feedback of the type of cellular data connection, but most people don't seem to care).
I was thinking it would only be the XS line. Wasn’t that the reason for adding antenna lines and messing up the symmetry on the bottom?

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
It's free advertising for AT&T because it gets everyone talking about them.

Apple needs carriers to sell iPhone so they might be willing to allow their iPhones with 4x4 MIMO to display 5G E.