When is one a slut?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MorphingDragon, May 21, 2012.

1. MorphingDragon, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

This is an interesting discussion that I had today and thought PRSI would like to indulge.

When is one considered a slut?

For me its not someone who simply has a lot of sex with different people or dresses provocatively. (But then who would call themselves a slut? :D) It's someone who's willing to use their sexuality as a way to get attention or to gain an unfair advantage from another person.

2. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

What if that 'gain' is Love?

3. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Hmm, that's not what I meant by gain. I also don't think someone going down on a lot of people is doing it for love.

By gain I mean getting something in return that they usually couldn't get otherwise, especially without any sex involved.

4. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Oh, I see. But you said it didn't have to be with many people. Do it with one person for a 'gain' other than Love and then you're a slut?

5. MorphingDragon, May 21, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I know it's a terrible definition, but I can't seem to think of another way to say what I really mean. Maybe an example would better than forever qualifying a word...

This is probably the best example I can think of. At a company I used to work for, I was in a position where I had the practice manager's ear and I could influence his opinion because of it. One of the workers kept on offering me sexual favours in return for giving him a good word, try get him out of the Manager's bad books etc. I considered him a slut because of it, he was willing to use sex as a way to give himself an unfair advantage over the other workers. I caved in after a while, and I still feel a little bad about it.

(EDIT: That example's exactly what I mean, changed my original def)

6. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

I agree, he was. If one becomes a slut once is one always a slut?

Also, are you female or were you both openly gay/bi-sexual? Not that it changes anything.

7. MorphingDragon, May 21, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No. I've experienced firsthand how personalities can change. If I met him again I wouldn't hold it against him, unless he continues with the same behaviour.

At the time I had just started being explicit about my Bisexuality. I had no clue what he was.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's when she takes birth control to help with one of several medical issues that have nothing to do with having sex. Duh ;)

9. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

When that one calls themself a slut?

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

One is never a slut, slut is one of those words that people who decide its their right to control other people's behavior. People use words like this in an attempt to gain control and/or be-little other people because they refuse to conform to their personal moral standards.

In my experience it's also a word that guys use a-lot when girls have the nerve not to fall madly in-love with them even though they (the guys) have no interest in getting into a relationship.

11. citizenzen Suspended

I'd say your co-worker was offering sexual favors to the wrong person.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps the manager was not Gay? ;)

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

In the good old USA, I find slut to be the term boys call girls who sleep around BUT NOT WITH THEM. "what a slut!"

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

In all my years on this planet, I've never heard it explained so well in one sentence. :D

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I have to say - if a met someone who talked in the first person along the lines of 'is one being a slut?' or 'one is a slut' I might possibly agree with them but I'd also think they were a very, very well brought up slut... ;)

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Once you've managed to offend someone, you're automatically labeled a slut by that person. Dress provocatively enough to offend...slut. Sleep around enough to offend...slut. Shoot down an unattractive suitor...slut. Offend someone and they'll label you a slut in retaliation.:rolleyes: The thing is, they'll spread the word far and wide.

I tend to make my own judgement when I heard someone called that.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In my opinion:

A single person who has sex with a different person (who are also single) frequently? NOT a slut.

Someone who has sex with a different people frequently that are not single but have an open relationship? NOT a slut.

Someone who has sex with a different people frequently that supposedly have a *monogamous* relationship -- and have no regard for the health and well being of themselves, their partners or the families of the married/committed people they are having sex with? This person I would consider a slut.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The traditional definition of "slut" is 1) a female who indulges in fornication outside of marriage (no longer seems applicable) and 2) a female who indiscriminately indulges in fornication.

If you look at Sex In The City, the character of Samantha Jones could be considered a liberated woman or a slut. However I am the first to admit this is the worst kind of double standard between the sexes. Samantha Jones was only doing what the vast majority of teenage boys/men are trying to accomplish, have sex with any good looking female or even not so good looking. ;)

19. WRP macrumors 6502a

About 12 years ago or so my buddy banged a girl at a party. He called me and told me to come over because the place was screaming with horny women. I came over a couple hours later and had sex with the same girl he had a few hours prior. She was totally a slut. :D

20. splitpea macrumors 6502a

IIRC the origin of the word "slut" is as an abbreviation of "slattern", which referred to a woman who was untidy.

So clearly one becomes a slut by driving with the window down so the wind messes one's hairdo, or by splattering tomato sauce on one's blouse.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

and you were not?

22. WRP macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. I was a slut from pretty much 17 until 29. I'm in recovery now though.

23. hafr macrumors 68030

24. citizenzen Suspended

I don't get it ... why is the simple desire to engage in sex slutty?

So she had two partners in one night. That doesn't IMO make her a slut.

I agree with the OP that sluttiness requires some degree of intent to manipulate a situation using sex as a tool, and is not merely frequent sex.

25. WRP macrumors 6502a

You didn't know her. She was a turbo slut. This wasn't our only meeting, this was just the first.