Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aide199

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
When is the actual GM version being released and not GM Candidate?

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Yes, final release is due on Monday. I find it very odd that Apple haven't put out a proper GM before this. I mean the GM candidate still reports itself as a beta and has debug code in it, so if they do release on Monday it will have to be a new build that is going fully public. Even if it is the same build number with only the debug code stripped out, that is a big enough change that you'd think they'd want to test it widely before going final public release with it.

Personally, I think the GM Candidate is still pretty buggy so I think we're in for a rough ride with the public release of 10.13.0.

Reactions: robeddie

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Personally, I think the GM Candidate is still pretty buggy so I think we're in for a rough ride with the public release of 10.13.0.

Agreed. I've never seen a GM candidate that has so many widespread bugs reported in the forums. I had to disable Gatekeeper to make the system work correctly *most* of the time, and I still haven't been able to get all OS features working properly, even after clean installs.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Agreed. I've never seen a GM candidate that has so many widespread bugs reported in the forums. I had to disable Gatekeeper to make the system work correctly *most* of the time, and I still haven't been able to get all OS features working properly, even after clean installs.
No issues here, and I'm using it on a 6 year old MBP.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Yes, final release is due on Monday. I find it very odd that Apple haven't put out a proper GM before this. I mean the GM candidate still reports itself as a beta and has debug code in it

Not sure what you mean by "has debug code in it", but as far as the "beta" stuff goes, they can push an OTA update to "About This Mac" so that it just doesn't say "beta" anymore if this ends up being the public release build. They did it last year with Sierra.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not sure what you mean by "has debug code in it", but as far as the "beta" stuff goes, they can push an OTA update to "About This Mac" so that it just doesn't say "beta" anymore if this ends up being the public release build. They did it last year with Sierra.
It was necessary to download a full installer to get the final release build, which was the same as the last GM candidate, but from what I remember, none of the GM candidates of Sierra showed as beta in "About this Mac."

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
There might be a minor update over the GM we are using but otherwise the current download is good to go. I'm only waiting for back up apps to be updated and wish the graphics drivers could match Windows on performance and features.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, no issues so far on GM Candidate of macOS High Sierra. What problems do you encounter?

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Constant systemwide freezes, slow restarts, all large videos take minutes to be verified before being able to play them. And more. 2014 MBP 15.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Constant systemwide freezes, slow restarts, all large videos take minutes to be verified before being able to play them. And more. 2014 MBP 15.

Yep me too and on 3 Macs:
rMBP 2012 core i7 15inch
rMBP 2015 13 inch
iMac mid 2011

All of them have glitches, freezes and sometimes simple interface tasks give the clock icon - not even blue beachball.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Any idea what time of the day Apple usually makes new version of the O/S available?
Well in about 8 hours from now. :) Sorry for not checking time conversions and everything but it would give you an idea.

I do hope they release some form of update today. Much needed because the GM has tons of issues still.

Reactions: ke-iron

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Will it be released in the morning or later in the day? Any ideas based on past releases?

I'm in Asia and was hoping to install it tonight..thanks!

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Yep me too and on 3 Macs:
rMBP 2012 core i7 15inch
rMBP 2015 13 inch
iMac mid 2011

All of them have glitches, freezes and sometimes simple interface tasks give the clock icon - not even blue beachball.

Yea, based on the many reports like this one, and my own experience (negative) on a brand new 2017 iMac, I'm expecting the release of High Sierra today to be followed by a growing torrent of complaints and reports of problem in the days/weeks to come. So far, the dirty waters of HS have only touched a trickle of mac users, but today Apple opens the dam and the sewage will engulf tens of thousands of unwitting Mac users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.