When it comes to bigger phones, y'all hating have no idea what you're talking about

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Sep 15, 2013.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You have to realize one thing: Apple is trying to make as much money as possible.

By NOT making a bigger iPhone, they are losing potential customers.

I can guarantee next year we will have a bigger iPhone and all the people crying that they don't want one will have to settle for a poverty screen in the 6C.

Or.. "I did a 180. Now that apple released a bigger phone, I want it. Before only androids had bigger phones but I'm obsessed with apple so they can do no wrong. If they tell me to buy a bigger phone I will!!!!!1111!!1!1!1!1!!!!"

2. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

The next 12 months can't come soon enough.. It's been a long wait.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think some of us just don't care.

I like iPhone. If they ever make one that's too big for me to comfortably carry (Galaxy Note)... That might be the first year I don't upgrade.

4. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I agree. Some folks seem to think that THEIR opinion is the only one that matters and if they don't want a larger screen, then no one should.

I personally want a 5" iPhone.

5. m00min macrumors 6502

See, I read this kind of comment and think the things that get said about us Apple users as being fashion-obsessed, vacuous and with more money than sense is probably a little too close for comfort.

Seriously, some people like smaller phones, just like some people like smaller cars or tablets. Nothing to do with the price.

6. oaktree macrumors regular

Ouch!

If Apple makes a bigger screen, I hope they also offer the current screen size for customers like me who don't want a larger screen.

7. Kurso macrumors 6502

Do you want a bigger phone or a bigger screen. They can give us a slightly bigger screen by going edge to edge without making the phone bigger.

8. iAlphard macrumors regular

I actually kinda like it that everytime apple released the S iPhone they are the same form factor. Because i always upgrade and i can use all my casings worth of $500 for longer time. But yea next year they should release bigger screen iPhone.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People have different wants and needs. There is no perfect one size fits all phone. It is nice to have choices.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I agree with some of the others - I want a small iPhone and I don't care if they make a 25" phone as long as they still make a current size one.
    Others should feel the same - They want a 25" phone and shouldn't care if Apple also still makes a current size one.

What is important is that they all have the same capability (chips, etc.)

Of course it costs a lot more to have multiple production lines etc.

But Apple will always do as Apple has (good times and bad) they will make what they want to make.

11. GALAGA macrumors member

GALAGA

I can care less about bigger screen I`ve been there with android. I want stability, simplicity,speed and easy to store in your pocket. And I don`t want to carry a man purse just to put my big@ss Phone in...just my opinion :)

12. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

There's no doubt in my mind that we will still have a 4" screen

I think we will see a 5" iPhone next year, and possibly the 4" model will remain with the 'c' series + they'll add the colour black to the 'c' line.

iPhone = 4.8-5"
    iPhone c = 4"

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I prefer the size of my old 4s, but I have no issues with my 5
    If Apple makes a bigger iPhone, I will likely buy it because I appreciate iOS and the experience
    I am not opposed to a slightly larger screen (5" would be too big IMO), but I am not storming Cupertino with a torch and pitchfork demanding one

I would expect Apple to make a good design decision and produce a product I will be happy to use
    If and when they don't, I will make a change

14. Icculus macrumors 6502

I am not one for larger phone sizes because it puts a LOT of work on developers to work with different resolutions. Thats why the iPhone 5 was perfect because it didnt require any of that. We start making multiple sizes of phones and we are android...just my opinion.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's all about having a choice.

Like most consumers faced with a gap between what the market offers and what I want, I can usually manage to find something that makes do --for me, for my preferences and my tolerance for stopgap solutions-- until the market approaches what I have wanted, or until I see advantages in whatever new thing the market brings to the table.

Also like many but not all consumers, I don't really care if half the planet thinks my choice of this or that product is off the wall. After all, I'm the one that has to live with the choice I make, so I'm the one who has to find the thing that's closest to the mark for me. All you other consumers are not going to be in the room with me when I press some button on some device to make my toast, coffee, or a connection to fetch mail. Hope everyone enjoys his or her next smartphone (and toaster, coffeemaker...) :)

16. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I dumped my Iphone 5 for the larger 1080p Galaxy S4. Guess what? I'm dumping the Galaxy S4 to go back to the Iphone 5S. Yeah, a bigger screen is nice IF you watch a lot of videos, but if you analzye your usage and you use the phone mainly for calls, emails and texts, a bigger screen isn't really necessary. The IOS of Apple is pretty good and I don't have to jump through hoops to get all my Itunes on my phone. S4 was nice, but goodbye Samsung.

17. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

Sorry, I meant to offer a bigger screen while keeping the smaller ones for folks that want a smaller one.

If they can have the 5c and the 5s, then they can have 4" and 5". :D

18. Icculus macrumors 6502

Wouldn't this cause fragmentation for developers? I mean I always here people complaining about writing for android and there 9 different resolution's and what not...I see this being the same thing with Apple and they have been making good strides to make sure this doesn't happen.

NOW if they happen to make a 5" iphone with the same resolution which won't cause tons of new work for developers AND they still have a 4" for people like me...I have no problems.

19. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

which is exactly what i'm trying to get at.

unfortunately, there's a lot of close minded people on this forum. many of them believe that what apple has released this very minute is what is best and that apple can do no wrong.

unfortunately by not giving us a larger screen, they are not catering to the people who want bigger devices (me). i'm not too sure how much long i can stick around using a 4" device. my hands aren't big, but it's uncomfortable writing text messages sometimes.

the best answer i get when i'm told i want a bigger screen is "buy an android"... how bout apple releases a bigger screen, discontinues the 4" screen, and i turn that question around?

it's all about choice.

7", 9" iPad
    4" iPhone ......... something is missing

----------

i've said this before and i'll say it again. if a developer is too lazy to make the apps work on more than one resolution, he/she simply should not be developing. as the buyer of these apps, I'M the one giving you my money so you should be catering to me. if you don't want to, i'm sure there are other devs out there that would love to take my $0.99.

also as far as i understand, with the way android OS is written, you just need to write the code for the app once and the phone sizes the app to the screen (just how apps work on a regular computer).

unfortunately, this can/does cause performance hiccups so perhaps apple can figure out a system for this in the next year?

20. Icculus macrumors 6502

Taken from an article explaining why apple shouldn't do multiple resolutions:

Changing the aspect ratio would be a lot of work for development teams. We found that maybe 50 percent of iOS development is [spent] in layout,” he said in an interview on Friday. “If we had to do two versions of that, the current aspect ratio and a new aspect ratio, and had to lay it out again, that would add considerably to our development time.

My entire family codes for iOS and its hard enough for them to meet deadlines and fix bugs on 1 resolution, and then adding in multiple would drive developers crazy and some developers would take shortcuts and apps would not be as polished anymore IMO, you would get an android type store.

21. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I don't understand what all the hype is about having a big screen? It's a Mobile phone, it's supposed to be Mobile. The iPhone with a case on does not take up too much space in my pockets or fall out too easily, it fits in my hand extremely well even with a case on, etc etc. I don't watch movies on my iPhone often but when I do I feel the screen is big enough? I use the 4s BTW

I honestly couldn't care less about a bigger screen, the bump to 4' got rid of the black boxes around vids and tbh that's the only thing I appreciate about the iPhone 5 screen.. I'm not knocking the iPhone 5, it's definitely better than the 4s, but I feel like they should have minimized the bezel when they came out with the iP5.

If they made the screen bigger by minimizing Bezel I'd be fine with that because it wouldn't increase the size of the phone.. Also keep in mind increasing screen size will use more battery so Apple would have to implement IGZO or GRAM or whatever... But making the screen larger should allow more space for hardware components probably a larger battery.

22. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well this just goes to show you that you have no idea what you're talking about.

"Changing the aspect ratio" ... Who said anything about that?

We will see the same aspect ratio but a bigger screen.

23. iAlphard macrumors regular

Precisely, what is so hard about that? It's simply apple doesn't have the factory to do that. When they want to do something, they make an offering first to an experienced company that manufactured it, then get lined, work together with the factory engineer, makes contract, etc. That all, takes time and cost more. Simply because it's not their factory. Same for any other apple parts, like memory, storage, processor.
    That is why their competitors are so aggressive trying and innovating, because they have the resource to do so, very efficiently and very experienced.

24. Icculus macrumors 6502

The 4-inch screen didn't change the pixel density or horizontal width, while a 5-inch iPhone would almost certainly have to do just that. That creates a massive app compatibility headache.

What are you doing that needs a bigger screen anyway? I have no problems writing emails, surfing, text, etc. The only thing that ever brings up a problem is RDC and even if I had an 7" iPhone that wouldn't be big enough and I just open up the iPad and tether and done. Way quicker than trying to work around a tiny screen for something like that...just my .02.

25. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

You want a bigger iPhone and many others are happy with the current size. In your mind, you believe it's just so simple to release a larger size phone year after year but you don't understand all the dynamics and issues this brings.

1. Look at Android App issues for a better understanding. So many different sizes and form factors that you have App fragmentation. Tablet apps on Android are even worse.

2. Screen resolution and display quality. If they change resolution then we are dealing with issue #1 which will be a pain for developers. If they don't then the display would suck more than likely because you are stretching apps to fit screen.

3. Current sales are very good and easily outpace phones with larger screens. Basically, they don't have a lot of pressure from customers to do so at this time so they probably won't for 2 more years.

I like the current size and it feels comfortable in my hand and pocket. I have a Galaxy S3 as well and it doesn't feel comfy at all. It's large and you have to use it 2 handed for mostly everything.

I don't want Apple following the competition shotgunning all types of sizes/form factors out there sacrificing quality to satisfy a small minority of consumers. If they can do it without sacrificing quality then it's cool. I want it as easy as possible for developers to get me the best apps possible.

These are just my thoughts.