When it comes to just the phone on an iPhone, has there been improvements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 19, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I have an original iPhone (ghost line) and the 4S. I know, obviously there have been a ton of improvements between the two devices, but using the original iPhone out on a bike ride- just for the phone abilities only got me to wondering.
    Is the phone itself, just the dialing and receiving of calls, better now with the 4S vs the original 2G?
    And, if so, how so?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The antenna has been improved since the original iPhone. There was also the addition of extra microphones for noise cancellation.

3. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

internal antenna phones are crappy cell phones. Apple is a computer company first and foremost. Take for example blackberry and nokia they are cell phone companies first. Apple put a phone into a computer and innovated things, while nokia and blackberry had to put a computer into a phone to compete. I recently have discovered no matter how functional the iphone is , the amount of dropped calls, renders it useless as a mobile cellular communication device, i have had a iphone since its debut, and im getting rid of my i4 device, when u need ur device the most, and it doesnt do the most basic job, its pointless to have. Further advancements in both hardware and tower communications is far away, because demand is not yet there.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I never had antenna problems on 3GS or 4. Never owned any other version. The 3GS did have pretty low max volume in a call though. 4 has good volume.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be helpful or answer the OP's question. They were asking about the original iPhone compared to the 4S. I use my iPhone as a "mobile cellular communication device" several times a day, and I rarely have a dropped call. If I do, it's because I'm in an area that is known for getting bad reception, and it used to happen on my other cell phones, as well. The iPhone works just fine as a phone.

OP, yes, there have been some improvements since the first gen iPhone, as Roessnakhan stated. As far as basic dialing, I think it's pretty much the same.

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Didn't iOS 4.3.3 change the way iPhone handles "sleeping" its connection with cell towers in order to open up call bandwidth?

7. weintrw macrumors newbie

It's an iGadget not iPhone

I think the OP and others have very good points. The phone is not a strength and has had few if any changes in its funtionality. It is a VERY basic phone with less ordinary features than most flip phones. 1-It takes me 4 or 5 clicks to start dialing ( on-unlock-HOME-phone-dial). 2-A new incoming call and there is no easy way to save the number in contacts. It can be done with work arounds. 3-The antenna is now better. To be fair for the first 3 iPhones I had tons of dropped calls. I stopped using it at home. Six months ago I switched carriers for the iP4s and have had zero dropped calls since. It may not always be the antenna. 4-There is no way I have found to just dial 4 numbers and the phone enters the preceding six. I used this often before the iPhone. I, one time, programed the six digits and the phone (Treo) when I was paged overhead to 4 digit extention and not near a company phone, would dial the area code, the exchange and then the 4 digits. 5- I have found no way to enter a pause when dialing live. I can program a contact with a pause, but not live.

I love my iPhone but I, like others, would enjoy some attention to the phone characteristics.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Perhaps you were using different flip phones than I used to, or perhaps you have forgotten how flip phones operated, but my iPhone's phone functions are far superior to any flip phone I've used.

Really? It takes me one. (Home/headset button. "Call <number or contact>.")

For as long as I can remember, tapping the arrow to the right of any new number in my call history yields this:

[​IMG]

This isn't a workaround. This is built-in part of the OS and has been quite easy, at least for me.

This has been a YMMV matter, and continues to be to this day. I've owned plenty of phones that don't work well in poor coverage areas, and the iPhone has been no exception to this.

That said, its performance HAS steadily improved with each new model.

I'll give you these, but even you have to admit that these two gripes are fairly niche. While my contacts at work are on a company VoIP system where internally we can dial a 5 digit extension and reach who we want, I think we've always accepted that external phones (including cell phones) dialing in will have to do so using the full +1 XXX XXX XXXX dialing scheme.

Not to mention, I rarely dial either my work phone nor my iPhone anymore... more often than not I select who I want to call off a list of contacts. It's been a really long time since I've had to actually remember a sequence of numbers to reach an individual beyond the time it takes to enter it into a contact.

i certainly don't want Apple to stop work on the phone app, it's hard to argue they haven't done anything with it at all.

Yeahhhh... So that you know, the iPhone 4 and 4S are technically not "internal antenna phones," considering that the very-external metal band running along the sides is the antenna.

They used to be. They've changed considerably since then.

Oh, you mean the companies that make "internal antenna phones" exclusively now?

Yet somehow, Apple is still selling far more phones than either of them.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes.

- You have 3G voice which the original iPhone doesn't have, and whose lack of 3G already makes in unusable in certain AT&T 3G-only areas (and which will only grow over time).

- Related to the above: no more speaker-buzz

- Related to the above: you can use data and voice at the same time (on HSPA networks).

- You can now make and receive calls on CDMA as well as GSM/HSPA networks. In the US, this means you buy can an iPhone and place and receive calls on networks other than AT&T, if you choose.

- Noise cancellation has improved. There is a mic near the earphone jack which serves as a noise cancellation filter. When the iPhone is set to speakerphone mode, this mic switches roles with the mic at the bottom.

- Reception is better.

- FaceTime permits video calls, and does it in a way which pretty much cuts out the wireless carrier with WiFi (will not use up voice minutes). At present you need WiFi for facetime, but that will be remedied in iOS6.