When it is and isn’t OK to cite the Bible

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

When it’s children being separated from families at the border then it’s OK and you get Liberals reading from the Bible on TV. Yet I don’t remember any Liberal running around quoting the Bible during debates about abortion, gay rights, transgendered bathrooms, etc. Have I got that about right?

I don’t agree with the policy at the border (or the idea that Trump is powerless to do anything about it) but selectively using the Bible to argue against it is just as disgusting.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

So it is only okay to quote the bible when it suits your agenda and you actively believe whatever is written in it, but not to counter others arguments even though it is based on the same source?

Disclaimer: I have no idea what you are talking about, but your post comes of as a complete subjective rant.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

You can quote the bible when:

- you are just stalling (filibuster or something like that)
    - you are pointing out the hypocrisy of bible-thumpers
    - you don't mind looking like a complete tool
    --------------------- end of list ----------------------

4. AndyMacAndMic, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502a

AndyMacAndMic

Quoting the bible is simply a sign of unoriginality/laziness/inability to think for oneself.

I assume your thread is from a U.S. perspective, because where I come from (Western Europe) quoting the bible (in politics or media) is mostly not 'OK' and considered to be religiously fanatic and/or not helping a discussion at all. It does not matter if it is done by 'liberals' or 'conservatives'. The bible simply has no place in discussions (except for religious discussions of course).
    Also the polarization between 'liberals' and 'conservatives' is a typical U.S. thing. The world is not divided in 2 parties only. Peoples' thoughts and opinions are not strictly 'liberal' or 'conservative'. This is an oversimplified artificial division only existing in U.S. minds, caused by the political system. There are thousands of shades/opinions/thoughts in between.

To be honest: questions like these serve no other purpose (in my opinion) than pointing fingers and to preserve/maintain unnecessary prejudices. Live and let live. Respect someone else's opinion like your own. Amen.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

There's quoting from the bible - and there's discussing what the bible does and does not say.

When it comes to politics - the bible should be left out of it. There's a reason why we have a separation of church and state.

This country is not ruled by the bible. It's ruled by the constitution.

6. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

How dare you insinuate that we Americans over-simplify irreducible complexities and indulge in either/or’ism. As a card-carrying member of the American tribe I must hereby denounce your elitism. Furthermore, I invoke the revised Golden Rule as appears in some Bibly thing you can look up yourself: “Do unto others as you misperceive they have done unto you or that you have reasonable (or unreasonable) doubt they will or would, should circumstances deem it necessary.”

See, we don’t necessarily over-simplify; we can also over-complicate. Now, you may say that my post misses the point but that would just invite me to deflect because the Bible ain’t getting me out of this mess... which means I’m likely to cite the Bible to get me out of this mess, bless my heart.

7. AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502a

AndyMacAndMic

Yes, You are completely right. Mea Culpa. My opinion is coming from a very underdeveloped/simplistic Western European perspective. Bless you, your heart and your overcomplicatedness :)

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Except both the Left and the Right use the Bible when it suits their purpose. I’m totally fine with the Bible being a moral compass but not with politicians picking and choosing when it’s OK to use it.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

You won't get what you won't. Cherry picking will always happen. And the Bible can be interpreted in a million ways. It shouldn't be the foundation of a political discussion.

10. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

First of all, I imagine there are liberal Christians, but most applicable, you see these quotes on MSM to push back against the hypocracy, the notion and emphasise the GOP wears the Christian cloak like a shield, but really it’s sheep skin worn by the wolf.

11. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

It should NEVER be ok to quote that thing. When I saw Sessions the other day it makes me want to puke! Separation of church and state remember? Why is the U.S president still putting his hand on the bible when he's sworn in? :mad:

12. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I agree with you about how politicians shouldn’t use the Bible for politics. But I have to strongly disagree with you on this example. The liberals- I saw them doing this on msnbc- are only doing it to dispute how sessions (I think it was him) used the Bible as an excuse to separate the families. Sarah sanders backed him up. So the liberals are just saying no, you’re wrong, the Bible doesn’t say that. As for trump in general, anyone who thinks he likes the Bible and is religious is the most gulible person in the world and is letting one of the least religious people ever use their faith to sucker them
    Into voting for him.

13. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I don't like the Bible being invoked in any way in American politics.

For one thing, that discriminates against non-Christians IMO. Second of all, it is a play on emotion and politics should never be about emotion.

14. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So then it’s basically how one group interprets the Bible vs another. And don’t even get me started on the evangelical MAGA crowd. They’re the biggest frauds of all.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2018 ---
    Oh good grief that’s all left wing politics is about - emotion.

15. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Right up there with the number of times Republicans use the bible in a debate about gun ownership, women's rights and denying people welfare or education.

You are correct. Neither Liberals or Conservatives should attempt to leverage God in a political debate.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

You can quote the Bible in defense of political policy, but be prepared to be called out on the hypocrisy or the silliness of it. Silly because quoting a line as vague as "obey the government" can be used to defend any government policy and has no special significance w/r/t Trump's immigration policy.

Quoting the Bible in politics is entirely self-serving. Sessions was saying "hey Christians, don't listen to those liberals, remember what the Bible says: OBEY ME". Ludicrous.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump really has two options, catch and release like Obama which doesn't work as they don't show, or get the laws changed to allow family detention while awaiting trial. A key factor being left out is that the ninth circuit (liberal) is the one who decided kids couldn't be detained with the parents. The left is being disingenuous again by stating they are trying to get family units to stick together, but what they really mean is releasing them into the US because they won't want to allow the kids to be detained with the parent.

18. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

...you mean in a jail cell?? :rolleyes::oops:

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Immigration violation detention centers don't have cells, it's more of an enclosed common area. Unless you are a wanted felon or something, plenty of those being separated from kids in the US as well.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

No. I would say left wing politics is more about being human. Does that include having emotion - yes. I would take emotion over some of the incredibly callous and heartless comments in the various threads here.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

About the only time that it is appropriate for a politician to cite the Bible is when he or she is pointing out the hypocrisy of others who try to cloak their intolerant policies by selectively misapplying the Bible.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The bible has nothing to say on abortion, very little to say on gay rights and nothing to say on transgendered bathrooms.

Jesus does bang on about loving thy neighbour, which is social liberalism to a tee.

23. IWantItThatWay Suspended

From what I see, leftists tend to be more callous and heartless by and large. Leftists tend to be very callous towards victims of crime for example. And they're callous towards illegal alien kids and mass shooting victims.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How are leftists callous towards victims of crime? And towards illegal alien children and mass shooting victims?

25. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Don’t you know that mass shooting victims would be offended if they found out that politicians even hinted at doing something to limit the availability of the guns that killed them?