When my iPhone is locked, is it connected to Wifi or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by askfareed, Feb 11, 2010.

1. askfareed macrumors member

Hi,
    i have realised everytime my iphone is locked and i press any button for the screen to come up i see that it is connected to 3g and 1 second after when i slide to unlock it goes to wifi. So does this mean when my iphone is locked and i am receiving push emails it is using the 3g network, instead of my wifi network?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. It shuts off wifi to save on battery and turns it back on when you unlock it again.

4. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I'll have to test this, but I'm pretty sure Wi-Fi stays on

I was downloading a video over wi-fi ( using mxtube) and it seems like I was able to lock my phone without disturbing the two downloads I had going

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It always goes back to edge or 3G.

I found this out the hard way about two years ago when using an original iPhone on a prepaid sim. I was streaming a radio station on WiFi and went to sleep. When I woke up, I looked at the phone and the msic had ended hours before. What happened was the phone went to edge once it locked and used up $200 of credit in my prepaid account in just a few hours.

There is an addon in Cydia for SBSettings that keeps the phone on WiFi when it sleeps just for this reason.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All I know is that the 3G symbol is on when I unlock and it immediately switches to wifi. The poster above's response about downloading only means that it switches to 3G and continues the download.

I also "think" the refrigerator light goes off when I close the door. :)

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Insomnia, FWIW:)

8. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

If your downloading something when it locks, it will stay connected to wifi, otherwise it will go to 3g.

- From Experience

9. leons macrumors 6502

if its plugged in, does wifin still go off when locked?

10. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

if i download that, will it waste more battery or not? Because right now i have push email on all the time and i get around 20 emails during the day, so would it be better if i left it like how it is, or install that so it will be connected to wifi while it's locked, so my emails come through a wifi connection? Also if i am not connected to wifi, will it go back to 3g with that addon installed?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Insomnia will eat up your battery like crazy.
    Even when it's not turned on it effects battery life bad.

12. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

13. leons macrumors 6502

When an Iphone is plugged into a charger, and goes to standby, does it shut off wifi like it does when on battery?

14. rufus001 macrumors newbie