When on data, data will be cutoff when incoming call comes through iP5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The 4S is my first iPhone. I'm not that big on the data end of things, but is it true, when on data, say, surfing on Safari, you will get cutoff when an incoming call comes through the iP5? I haven't yet experience this on my 4S. Does this happen on the 4S too? Or is this related to LTE - the inability to multi-task? Or just iP5 related iOS6?

I was listening to a tech show on the radio today and heard the tail end of this discussion.

Thanks.

2. megapopular macrumors 6502a

If you're on Verizon or Sprint, then yes, incoming calls will stop data UNLESS you're on wifi. That includes iMessage. On AT&T, data stream will continue regardless if on a call or not. (not dependent on wifi)

3. Surrylic macrumors regular

Hopefully. When I had an iPhone on edge service with AT&T (no simultaneous data/voice) calls and texts just wouldn't come through while surfing internets. I imagine things don't work that stupid anymore though...

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

So incoming calls takes precedence over, say, surfing the net? I had no idea. I'm going to test this out tomorrow and have someone call me while on Safari.
    The reason I asked is I hear a tail end of a broadcast on the iP5 and was curious is this issue affects the 4S.

I'm somewhat dependent on my phone for work, so I wouldn't like it if a call gets forwarded to voicemail while I was on Safari.

Thanks.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its hard to time it perfect with just using safari to open a page.
    Safari might load the page and then the call will come in.
    Try it while streaming pandora, youtube, netflix for example.
    But like explained above if you're on Sprint or verizon then you cant do both pull data and talk but the call will always come in and not send to voicemail.
    On AT&T you can do both at once without missing anything.

6. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it on youtube and see what happens. I had no idea you couldn't surf/youtube and take a call at the same time. I thought all this changed on the 4S and it only applied to the 4. Guess I was wrong.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, never changed for CDMA US carriers even now with the LTE iphone.

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

My Evo 4G LTE does it just fine on CDMA (without LTE or WiFi connection). It's just an iPhone thing for now. And who knows. Maybe later, a small iOS update may enable the feature.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sorry, I meant to say CDMA iphones.
    Other CDMA phones can do it for a long time now.

10. epphllps macrumors 6502

All it will do is pause data and if you reject the call it will resume. If you are surfing the Web or whatever it will not prevent the call from coming through. Once you hangup the site will continue to load, or usually it will. Not a fan of it after using a gnex and s3 that has svdo but I'm ready to have an iphone again.

11. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

An update won't fix it. Unlike Samsung, Motorola and HTC, Apple decided not to add a 3rd antenna to allow the CDMA iPhone 5 to do voice and data simultaneously. Thanks Apple! :rolleyes:

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stop ruining hopes.
    Sure, a software update will fix everything.
    Even Verizons prices:D