when or if will the media every take some resposibility for death?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 6, 2009.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

All of these guys that go out and kill as many as they can in schools or a dance class. then killing themselves. the news makes so big of a deal out of it that it is becoming the in way to kill yourself. take a bunch of others with you. lets go out on tv.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, the media is not to blame for this. If someone is going to do something that radical there are clearly other larger root problems.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And yet it if it didn't get reported, people would be screaming "cover up"

It is a Catch-22 situation

However, I agree, the extent of the coverage and the sensationalization of it does romanticize it for sick individuals.

News isn't about reporting, it is about revenue
    It is a business

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Your thread title makes my brain hurt.

Mass killings plus suicides have been going on forever. You can't blame the media for everything,

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

but now it is getting common because it is so noteworthy. as the other fellow said it is not for the news but for the review.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Are we talking about the guy in PA that was depressed and angry because he couldn't get laid?

I'm just spitballing here, but it seems as though the media has a habit of finding a hot story that gets a lot of attention, then finding similar stories and pushing them. Cases in point - school shootings a few years back, female teacher-male student sex scandals, now guys that feel disenfranchised because they can't get any that go bat***** and start killing (VA Tech, that guy in Canada, now the guy in PA).

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

you're just hearing about it more

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think these types of murder-suicides are any more common now than they have ever been (unfortunately). I think that the info is just more readily available. Maybe 50 years ago it would have been a more local or regional story. Now with so many 24 hour national news stations, we get more than we ever have before.

But I do agree with MacDawg when he said that "News isn't about reporting, it is about revenue. It is a business."

I don't think that the coverage of the LA Fitness shooting has been supersaturating or over-the-top.

The Michael Jackson coverage, however, was way overdone. I haven't seen any stats that show that it caused an increase in celebrity deaths though.... ;)

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The more the community is aware the better. This is one reason I am pro-concealed carry. The police simply don't have the response time to deal with these situations, I don't want to stand by while innocent people are slaughtered.