When people ridicule me for getting excited about a phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bollweevil, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

A lot of people tell me, "It's just a phone, calm the ******* down. Do you really need it to arrive on launch day?"

To them, I say, "It's fun to get excited about things. You should try it some time. When you were a kid, did you get excited about your birthday, or Christmas morning? Why not experience that same anticipation and elation as an adult? Are you too 'mature' to feel any pleasure in life? Or is making fun of other people the only way for grown ups to have fun?"

When my grandfather was in his 80's, with over a million dollars in real estate and stocks, he would still get excited about ice cream, fine cheese, and chocolate. And you know what? He was quite possibly the happiest man I have ever known. Being that happy made him nice, and fun to be around, and generous.

It takes more than the promise of ice cream to get me excited. Maybe I am jaded. A new iPhone 4S should do nicely, though.

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I agree on enjoying life :)

HOWEVER...

I think some people take it to an extreme.

Imagine if you acted like this every time you got a new phone?

You'd be certifiably nuts! ;)

4. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Being excited and acting crazy are two very different things.

I am very excited, I look forward to getting my phone, but I am not hitting refresh on my tracking information, nor tracking down possible flight information.

Along with that, my life does not hinge on receiving my phone and if I have to wait a day to get it, nothing about the way I live my life will change at all.

Some here make it sound like they're moments away from a breakdown. :D

5. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I think they are.

Judging from some of the threads and posts this week, if the phone doesn't come tomorrow, some of these folks may have a nervous breakdown.

6. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I fully expect to see a thread or two here tomorrow from people throwing absolute fits over not getting their phones until Sat.

To the point of reading death threats.

I also expect to see a lot of posts tomorrow of people who are struggling to wait late in the day, people posting around 3 or 4 in absolute panic that they might not get it that afternoon.

Should be interesting.

7. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

How did that video of my childhood get on youtube??????
    ;)

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I imagine we will see stuff like this...sadly.

9. fawkmee macrumors newbie

People questioning your need for an iPhone 4s? There's a slap for that.. :D

10. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

It's more than a phone. It runs GolfShot GPS.

11. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I like how MacRumors replaced my 4 asterisks with 7 asterisks. I guess when it was 4, it was too obvious what naughty word it was replacing. I mean, 4 asterisks might offend someone's delicate sensibilities. Better make it 7.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

*slap*

13. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Haha, I was just thinking... how are some of the people here going to react when they lose their virginity? :D

Two seconds of movement, passing out, waking up in their own vomit, then crying themselves back to sleep again.

----------

Agreed... thats some ********************* up ******** ***************** right there.

14. Slowlo macrumors newbie

Wait wait wait... it's only supposed to be that way the first time?? :(

15. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, it sounds like your first time was really special.

16. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Haha! Dude, I'm on the floor here! :D

----------

Hmm... depends, I mean it cost me $50, which might seem like a good deal, but it was a lot of money for me at that time.

17. Mrs.Geek macrumors newbie

lol. I am stupid excited about this phone and I am refreshing my tracking number over and over. But I'm not going to have a meltdown if I don't get it tomorrow. I'll be disappointed, but it won't be the end of the world.

18. j0shimself macrumors newbie

j0shimself

Lmfao!!!!

I was extremely excited for ios 5 and no one at work cares at all and 7out of the 10 people I work with have an iPhone 4

19. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I can understand this. :cool:

20. rman726 macrumors 6502

I'm glad my 4S appears to be finally on my way to me, but I'm a little upset that my phone has been in the USA for a while. It was a lot of fun following my 3GS and my iPad coming from China. It kinda sucked watching everyone else following tracking and flights while I was just sitting back, being told that my phone is already in the USA. Half of the fun is just the excitement and tracking until it finally comes!

21. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

I am geeking out too. I don't know why, but I have never been this excited about a product launch. I HAVE been checking tracking every hour or so... Phones are in Indy, 2 hours drive. I even considered driving down there on the off chance they would fish them out for me. Now THAT would be crazy! I did take tomorrow off to be sure I was home to receive it. I might buy the FedEx guy lunch if he goes out of his way to bring mine in the morning :)

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I had a day off school when I was 9 years old when my iBook came in the mail. :D