When reporters say that teen's shouldn't 'own' smartphones.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by theapplefanboyj, Oct 18, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of this in the news everyday. And also in other forums and Youtube comments, saying that teens shouldn't be owning tablets and smartphones, because it makes the teens 'unproductive'. Like this person, for example :http://www.postdesk.com/teenagers-and-children-smartphones-blackberry-iphone
    Also seeing other people making comments about 'We didn't have smartphones in our day, we went to the park with our friends after school.'

I know that some teens are genuinely spoilt brats,but there is differences to this.
    I am a very young teen (nearly 14). My friends always complain that I have too many smartphones (Had the 4S from July 2013 to September 2014, upgraded to the Nexus 5 then got the OnePlus One three weeks later). And to be honest, all of my phones were hand me downs, except for the OnePlus One. And I payed for my phone.
    Some of my distant relatives also call me spoilt, because I'm the only one in my generation who has a phone. They're all five+ years younger than me, I don't see why a seven year old would need a phone. The constant criticism I get from others. I also get the comment that because my phone is big, I'm spoilt because the rest have budget phones that are max 4.5'.
    And then, there are the spoilt brats. You know, the ones that spends their money (their money?! more like their parent's money) on anything and everything. And their parents do not mind, saying that they 'deserved it'. That is being a spoiled brat.

Sorry for this long rant, but I just wanted to get it out of my head.

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

O.k. so your not a spoiled brat ...... but for sure a whiney one :p

But lets be honest, my generation (do I sound really old allready ?) functions so relativly well in todays age, because we were exposed to homecomputers back in the 80s and early 90s.
    But being exposed alone means very little, what is more important is what we made of it.

Some went into that stuff wanting to know how they worked.... to the last bit, other got creative with digital arts while some just played "CannonFodder" or "Turrican" 24/7.

So thats how it's gonna be for this generation with smartphones. Some will actually find ways to make use of them, while others just post pic of their lunch to facebook.
    30 years from now you won't have a problem identifying who belonged in which group (well and I will for sure be to demented to follow this winding thought of mine).

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

When I see kids in pediatric clinic who can't put the iPhone or DS away long enough to let me examine them; while their mothers #1 concern for the visit is how to deal with the tech addiction, I'm inclined to agree that teens shouldn't have such unfettered access to this stuff.

There's a whole population of absentee parents out there too who are much more into their Facebook feed and their candy crush score than their own kids.

It's a tough thing for many to manage. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have trouble leaving the phone alone at times. It becomes such a habit, and the vast majority of what I do isn't generally important or productive in any significant way.

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I wouldn't worry about it, I gave my granddaughter my old iPhone5s, and she is 7 yrs, I also pay for her service provider.
    It's a grandfather job to spoil their grand children.:p

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

6. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Guess what I watched that clip on!:mad:

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The first question that I have is why is a 13-year-old in PRSI?
    ----------------

But as to the topic, I've bought both my DD12 and her six-old-sister iPads and iPhones. Right now we are at Walt Disney World. Other parents can't get theirs kids to behave while waiting for dinner reservations. I've got one girl planning tomorrow's agenda for Magic Kingdom and the other is looking at all the iCloud photos from today.

Every time we are in a line, they are on them. We avoided several lines because of the older one moving Fastpass times. They've picked where they want to eat and what they want to eat. They've edited pictures and even selfied a few times.

Embrace technology, don't fear it.

Attached Files:

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think it is ridiculous to say a teen should not on a smart phone. If I did not own one I sure as hell wouldn't be going to the park with my friends or some ****. I actually communicate with friends a lot more with a phone. And smartphones can be very helpful at school. You can take a picture of the board that says what the homework is. Teacher will ask you to take out phones and look stuff up. You can also do homework on a smart phone. As well as all the fun/entertainment a phone can bring.

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Maybe he wants to see how immature adults can be?

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I took up photography (with a "real" camera) as a hobby after spending a year or two taking photos with what was then a crappy smartphone camera. The vast majority of lunch- and selfie-taking "phone photographers" will likely never go beyond that, but you never know. Even if not professionally, such activities might lead people to take up things like photography, culinary arts, modeling, or makeup artistry.

Regarding technology exposure, it's an interesting question. When is it appropriate for a child to have a cellphone? A smartphone? How about access to the internet? Unfiltered access to the internet? Their own computer? Their own tablet? The answers really depend on the individual, but these objects are still too new for us to have the experience to answer them well. The older generation always seems to blame newer technologies and trends for what they perceive as problems within the younger generation, though, even if it isn't always right.

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

None of these things are are useful as you think they are. It's okay to say you enjoy your phone for the entertainment purposes, but for Jr. High/High School study, a smartphone doesn't really give you and edge. Smartphones are neat, but they have not revolutionized education.

P-Worm

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

13 is typically the minimum age to use most websites, if you're not lying about your age.

---

It's definitely a struggle and a balance. As someone who isn't quite having kids yet, it's definitely a concern in the back of my mind. I think it's impossible to lock down all devices, as I'm sure most schools use them in some form - and more will with each passing year (unless you do a Waldorf school). I think it's more of an issue of family vs. personal device, limited vs. unlimited use, and at what age when it comes to kids and devices.

The worst things, in my mind, would be cable TV and personal smartphones/tablets/iPod touches. Those two are the worst for kids to just stare into all day with Twitter, Vine, Snapchat, etc. Just mindlessly consuming crap without being too active. A family PC in a common area is something more easily controlled, with different usernames and ways to restrict access to content and limit the total time usage.

Lastly, it comes down to age of when to allow such usage, and that has to be on a case by case basis. I got a cell phone in 9th grade since my older siblings got one too and that was pretty rare even just a decade ago. Now cell phones are ubiquitous for kids. In my mind, anyone under 16 doesn't need anything more than one of those kid/parent phones (that have like 3 buttons - call, end call, power) or a basic feature/dumb phone. It's tough to say that's a hard line, though. I understand that smartphones today are more popular than what clothes you wear for kids - and that's a pretty crazy thought. Having the device is less about its utility than the social cool factor it brings.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why the OnePlusOne? How can you possibly leave iOS?
    I am much older and I also use my iPhone and iPad all day. ;)

14. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, I was on a budget and couldn't get a phone on contract so it has to be under 400 dollars. I wish I was in the IOS ecosystem though haha

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@OP: We gave our kids mobile phones when they were teens in order to be able to communicate with them in an emergency. It is a double-edged sword, like anything else. On the one hand it helped our family to keep in touch. On the other hand, my eldest was subject to harassment on her phone. The first case resulted in a conviction for a teenager. The second time incident resulted in a court order for a middle-aged man. The fallout form these incidents meant that my eldest had nightmares for years, had troubles in relationships, and in the end had to receive counselling. That is why some parents freak about mobile phones.

16. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Then why are you posting?

:)

J/K :D Totally agree. Enjoy your trip the weather here in the F.L. is +amazing+ right now. :cool:

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If the teen can afford it and pay for the plan then why not.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You may have noticed, I'm posting less. :eek: There are these lines, but my daughter used tech to help us avoid them most of today.

J/K :D Totally agree. Enjoy your trip the weather here in the F.L. is +amazing+ right now. :cool:[/QUOTE]

It is great weather. We try to come to WDW in February and October. Less heat and less crowds.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Now THIS I completely agree with. I do ZERO gaming or mess with my phone for more than 60 seconds (check email) when the kids are awake. Save that stuff for another time.

----------

Wait, you have a hand-me-down Nexus 5?

20. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

My parents don't control my usage. However, im not addicted to my phone unlike other people I jnow5

----------

Yes hand me down.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

That phone hasn't even been available for a year. Jesus.

22. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

My parents normally upgrade once every nine months. All my phone's has been hand me down up till my OPO.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

[curmudgeon]Back in my day, we didn't have smartphones. Hail, we didn't even have cell phones.:eek: We had two cans and a string.;) That's the way it was and we liked it.[/curmudgeon]

The grapes are particularly sour today.:eek::eek::eek:

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Solution: When you are 18, which is a teen, move out, get a job and buy whatever the hell you want and not care about "reporters"...

25. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Wait what? A Nexus 5 and OPO?
    At 14?

What????