When running dual display, the second monitor won't hold it's color profile!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpetruzzo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard today. I never had this problem before, I don't know if it's related.

I run two displays. The Macbook Pro and an external LCD. I use a calibrator that isn't set up for dual display, so I have to unplug the external monitor to calibrate the Macbook's display. When I do, I can get the color looking pretty close to accurate. But as soon as the external display is plugged back in, the main display flickers and then the newly created profile goes bad. All the blues turn almost purple, although the whites and grays seem to stay accurate. If I unplug the external display again, the color goes back to it's corrected state.

This was never an issue before the upgrade, so it seems like it could have something to do with that, but color profiling largely evades me so it's hard to say.

I'm really hoping someone can help. I really don't want to have to invest in a more expensive calibration tool.

2. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, more information I just discovered.

If I make the 'main display' the built in monitor, then select 'color' on the display preferences pane, the color profile is accurate again. Then, if I switch it back so that the external monitor is the 'main display' it sticks and works fine... until I unplug the external monitor and plug it back in. Then the problem comes back and the built in monitor loses it's color profile again until I go through the whole process again.

I can't even begin to understand why the heck it's doing this. Can someone shed some light here?:confused:

3. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

4. savingstrangers macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue, but for months, and on my Mac Pro (brand new 8-core)... so since before Snow Leopard. Now have installed Snow Leopard, same issue. It does it on the secondary display for me however... and it acts the same as what you describe... it loses the color profile until I go to System Preferences> Display> Color, and it instantly fixes it. I THINK it only does it after the screen wakes from the screensaver, or if I turn it off for a while... I can't honestly nail it down to a science of when it does it... but I have the exact same issue, have googled it countless times, and cannot seem to find a solution!!

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I have the same issue, and going to the Color pane of the Display prefpane also fixes it straight away.

I filed a bug with Apple, and it's a known issue (it was filed as a duplicate). Here's waiting for 10.6.1, I guess!

6. midwestshooter macrumors member

color off on second monitor

Well - 10.6.1 failed to fix my problem.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro - and I use a 23" Apple Display plus a 24" NEC. I calibrate the Apple with an X-Rite i1 - and use the hardwire spyder that comes with the NEC. All was well with 10.5.

Since updating to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - my second monitor (The Apple) refuses to use the calibrated profile. All the colors are blue- and useless in a photo studio.

Thee is a bug in SL that affects calibration with multiple monitors. I do select the color calibrated icc in the system-display-color menu.

I need a fix.... fast.

Dick

http://www.wilderness-studio.com

7. DaSal macrumors regular

Sort-of same here. Though a fix for me is to turn the display on and off so that Leopard re-detects it, then it'll be fixed for a while. Don't seem to have the problem under Windows, it's really annoying...

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Mine works fine. The Spyder2Pro i'm using just lets me create seperate profiles during the calibration process and then go back and select them in the preferences pane (I assume its this way for all?). This is on 10.6 with the internal lcd as well as a 20" cinema display.