When setting up my 6, after selecting my phone number my 4S lost service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 3, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

The SIM card is still in my 4S. When I was setting up my 6 it asked "do you want to use this number?" And I clicked yes. Now I have no service on my 4S, even though the SIM card is still in it. Why/how is this possible? How do I restore service to my 4S?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Your 6 has its own nano sim that is now activated for that number.

To go back to the 4s you either need a nanosim to microsim adapter or to go to an AT&T store and get a microsim provisioned to put back in your 4s.

3. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

When you activate your new 6 the old one is killed, can't have two phones with the same number. The new 6 has its own sim

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wtf?? I can't just switch back to my 4S?? That's ridiculous, why the hell would they do this?

----------

Why didn't anyone warn me of this? That's ridiculous, what if I want to switch back and forth?

5. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You could of if they had the same size sim card, but they don't.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you want to switch back and forth then you'll need to switch the SIM (and you'll need an adapter). That's pretty standard; it's rare for two phones to share the same number (there used to be a service called Tandem here but it was discontinued several years ago, and even then it only supported voice).

7. julyzerg macrumors newbie

Tell me how do you married a new wife? just kick your old ass wife and married the new one? life is not that easy my man :rolleyes:

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How did it assign my number to the new sim without using the old phone? Can't I undo that or switch my number back onto the old sim? How much is this adapter?

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Jesus. The adapter kits are on eBay and Amazon and are under $10. Only one SIM card can be assigned one number at a time. If you wanna use your 4S, you will need to put the nano SIM card into the adapter and pop it into the 4s.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It assigned the new number by asking AT&T what the account is and the corresponding SIM card numbers are and changing it as required by AT&T's servers. The adapters are less than $3.

11. phillies262834 macrumors member

If you bought the phone as an upgrade, then the sim comes preloaded with you number. An adapter is just a little plastic tray that you can find online.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

No kidding right? People seem to be coming out from under their rocks lately.

13. richardbb85, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014

richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

yea no kidding

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wtf are you talking about? Almost all of my posts are completely legitimate questions/observations.

----------

What because I has a 4S that had the old kind of SIM card? I bet most normal people don't know about this.

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

first off, which carrier? verizon? the sim card in the verizon 4S, as far as i know, doesn't do jack unless you are traveling overseas. it isn't needed for domestic use, as the phone solely relies on the ESN. if I'm wrong, someone correct me.

soooooo to use the 4S again, i believe dumping your new sim card into it won't have any effect, you will need to do the old school way and add its ESN back onto your account. switching back and forth between it and the newer LTE phones will not be as easy as it is on a 100% gsm phone.

if you are on t-mobile or att, then yes, just swap the card over.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

AT&T changed this whole process a few years back. Used to be you could call them up and read the number off the SIM card and they would be able to reactivate it for you. Nowadays, once you switch service away from a card it's effectively dead and cannot be reused.

Not sure why they did this. Pretty much just results in wasted money for them. I've been into the corporate store several times for new SIM cards and not once have they ever charged me (Best Buy tried charging me $35).

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Is OP pulling a fast one? Or is OP dumber than a bag of rocks?

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How am I dumb because my previous phone used an older technology? How the hell would I know about the technology for other phones?

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Is this the first time you've gotten a phone with a different sim? Was the 4s your first ever phone?

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup, first smart phone

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes but when you transferred to the 4s if you had a normal phone before it, the same thing would have happened.

23. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I never messed with the SIM card then bc I never wanted or needed to go back to my Razr.

24. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Well at this point you're question has been answered. You live and learn. This thread has run its course IMO.

25. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah