When shipping a Hard Drive (external) Do I need an anti static bag to ship it in? ??b

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, May 10, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It's an aluminum enclosure inside a box, do I have to worry about static charge? I wasn't getting any help in the help forum so I thought I'd ask here.

If the antistatic bag is recommended, where can a get a few for cheap? I just called all my electronic/computer places, but no avail. online places are selling like bags of 50.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would, place it in a bubble wrap bag for static , dust and other protection needs. Protection, especially when shipping, can not be underestimated.

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

try asking the USPS for bags, im sure they deal with this sort of thing all the time

4. Thomi23 macrumors newbie

I found anti static bags on eBay. Five for 75 cents, and $2.95 shipping. Seller from NJ, can't remember his name . . .

It is a pain that for the most part, you have to go for 20, 25, or more bags when you only need a few . . . or one.

Do a search for what you're looking for and the seller should come up.

5. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

If you send the HD installed inside the alu casing, the casing itself will work like the anti-static coating of the bag (Faraday cage).

More important for the transport is a good shock absorption. An unprotected HD can already take damage when it drops a few inches on a hard surface. Use bubble wrap and/or styrofoam for packaging and make sure that there is a gap between the HD and all sides of the parcel.