When should children be on their own?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Sep 18, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The college thread got me thinking about when a child needs to fend for themselves financially in a sense

To those with kids around the college age, do you pay for their school? or do you have your kid take out the loans in his name and have to work jobs to pay for it?

I grew up in an environment where I was the first generation to graduate from college. My parents supported me going 100% but they told me that if I want it, I'd have to get it myself.

I then found on the workforce, how many of my cowrokers pay for their child's education 100%. It was shocking to me at least

Some have even graduated and are working making nice salary and their parents are still paying for their rent, their gas, their phones, etc

Absolutely mind boggling to me how that happens

What are your views?

Should parent's feel that they are obligated to fund their children's education?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I paid for college myself, but that's because my parents didn't have the cash to do it for me. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, I could see myself putting them through whatever education they wanted.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

That was the reason why may parent told me they couldn't help.

I may be singing a different tune once I have kids and if I could afford it but right now, I think it should be the kid's responsibility

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP aren't you barely out of college yourself?

Anyway, when should they or when can they. I did because I could and I did it at 18.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

As a college student myself, I've found that it usually depends on the family's status both personally and financially.

In my case, my family has sort of weaned me out of paying for various things. We simply don't have the money to pay for my college education, and so I am required to take out loans and get a job for personal expenses, as well as some bills (phone bill, etc.). My parents usually handle my health and car insurance; although, probably after college, I'll be on my own entirely.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have been out almost 2 years yes

That's a nice way to do it

If you are used to having your parents pay for everything and having to pay for everything once on your own may come as a shock

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Does it depend on your social economic status as much as your own parents upbringing? How much does your government subsidise your tertiary education?

Really, as soon as you can look after yourself, you should stop burdening your parents and help them out. Give them the freedom to retire or free up the income to let them do whatever they want.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I do think working full time through college really made me understand the value of a dollar, and I'm happy it happened, but at the same time it did set me back a couple of years, and I think I missed out on the 'away from the parents but don't yet need to be responsible' part of the college experience. I lucked out though, and managed to catch a couple of breaks and end up well ahead of the curve in the long run.

That said I can see myself wanting to give my kids any and every advantage I can when it comes to education. I'm not going to withhold money to prove some point about building character.

9. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

I have no idea. But about college, I'm just working my a** off for a scholarship to Princeton.. or at least an Ivy League school

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

If i can afford it it would certainly be a gift i would want to give my child. That aside, i paid myself and am still paying to this day.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It's a matter of weighing the cost of their education and having them eliminated. Although today's economy lends itself well to hired hits, a professional job still carries a hefty price tag, so caveat emptor.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't have a good relationship with my stepfather. I just always knew that my parents would never chip in financially for me to go to college. It wasn't until after I graduated that I realized how many parents DO pay for their kids' college expenses.

My wife's parents paid for her to go, until she transferred to a private school a couple of years before graduation. Between that and my graduate school bills, we're both paying student loans.

If there's any way at all, I'll help my son pay for his. Student loans suck.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Parents had enough to make me inelligible for grants and most federal loans. Didn't pay for anything.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why does it matter what other people do? Is jealousy or santicmony the driving force here?

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He might be wondering what he has to look forward to once he has kids of his own. Maybe.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Whatever he wants. What other people do is neither here nor there is it?

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Oh, I'm sure - but perhaps it's just a topic for discussion. I didn't necessarily read anything jealous or sanctimonious in the topic, though. Maybe I'm wrong.

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

True, but then what's the point of being on a message board at all if you don't care what anyone else thinks and/or does?

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I could we wrong as well and probably am. My sanctimony alerts are always a little oversensitive when a libertarian blows their own anecdotal independence trumpet to set the groundwork for rallying about how shocking and boggled they are of the action of others.

If you're on macrumors to get parenting advice you've got serious problems already.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Fixed? :p (I'm kidding, mods!)

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha this is true :D!

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I paid for university with a student loan, but my folks paid it off. So now I just owe them £10k instead.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's pretty lame. The kids whose parents are rich but don't contribute for University probably get screwed more than anyone else by the system.

24. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I'm in the UK and the system is very different here from what I understand, but IMO parents should pay for education when the student is still a "kid" because it's essential, but the student should pay for their own bills and stuff as soon as they get a job and live in their own.

25. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you dont like the question, then you dont have to answer
    So because I am a Libertarian, I can't be surprised by the actions of others? It's not as if I am advocating for everyone to be the same in this regard

I merely asked a question

Stop hijacking the discussion

I agree there