When should i get Macbook??

arsenalroc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
15
0
Hi,
This is my first post so please bear with me. i have been using PCs my whole life and frankly i am sick of it( tooo many crashes!). I graduate at the end of this year and need to get a notebook before i start university in January( i live in Australia). Every student in my school 'loans' a personal notebook computer from the school, we are currenlty using Acer travelmate 370s and there is whereall our work is done. At the end of school, i have to return my notebook and for the first time since grade 6( i am grade 12) i wont have a notebook. I realli am curious to as how good macbooks are( i have admired them for a long time). I mostly use it to do study,research,listen to music though i like to play games such as Fifa 2006 and Counter strike though not extensively. My question is should i take the leap into mac and when should i get one?. Should i hold out till core 2 duo models come out or should i just go ahead and get the current models? i have to return my computer in the next month so i am quite keen to get one. I am in a quite a bind
 

MikeyWord

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
22
0
Perth, Western Australia
Same!

Im in the same situation!

I hear it might be updated next Tuesday? If it is... YAY if not.. I dunno... I think im going to buy an iMac if that happens =P

Im really waiting for the Core 2 Duo cpu to get in there (64bit) and a better graphics chip, probably still integrated =(

I wanna laptop! Could next tuesday be the one?
 

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
6,240
0
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ah damn, you should have bought yesterday. C2Ds for 20 minutes yesterday and now their gone forever... Oh well, I guess you missed that.

Just buy a one, *shrugs* it'll be right. There is always going to be updates round the corner... Aparntly on a Tuesday. Tuesday is my new favourite day of the week.
 

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
154
0
when you meet all of the followings:

1. When you need one (I mean absolute last date). There is no point of you buying a laptop that you don't need only to have it depriciate in value everyday.
(of cuz with the exception of, a discount offer/you want to get one to "show off"/you wish to make your laptop functions before handing off to university)

2. When you have sufficiant money. Given that you are a student, you probably will need to a) work a part time job b) get your parents to give you money c) use whatever you can to get the money.

just curious...Australia's highschool lend out laptops!!!!?? wow...do you guys pay like 110% income tax or something?
 

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
475
3
England, United Kingdom
Just get one - People on here have been saying its coming every week since the end of July... It's October. If you *needed* the computer, there would be no question here what so ever. So really, you can wait i suppose.

Sorry to be blunt, but really, no one knows.
 

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
2,467
0
The Rainbow Nation RSA
There are three groups of macbook users on macrumors:

1) Next Tuesday people, these guys always say wait till next tuesday, every week. really persistant buggers:D Often don't have their own macbooks. they enjoy laughing @ Stayers(see3) and Potential buyers.

2) Current MacBook owners, these people will tell you to get a macbook NOW. They just don't want to be jealous if you evntually get a new (c2D)macbook.

and 3) stayers, ppl who will wait no matter the costs, even if C2D is only released next year... or the year after that!

In the end it's your own choice. Personally I'm a stayer.
 

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
1,614
0
Chinatown NYC
As other people have already said: just go ahead and get a MacBook if you need a new laptop. A possible CPU speed bump (even one this significant) is not a reason to postpone a purchase, in my opinion. I have the lowest-end MacBook and it's quite zippy.

In general, the only thing that would make me delay a computer purchase if there is a new expected feature that I wouldn't be able to get on the existing model without either buying new software or (even worse) new hardware accessories. Examples would be:

- New OS X or iLife updates (require buying software)
- New communications features (new cutting-edge Wi-Fi or Bluetooth standards that wouldn't be available on current modelwithout buying a dongle or something.)
- New hardware features (recent ones on various Macs have been: built in iSight, MagSafe power connector, tilt/motion sensor, backlit keys, etc.)
 

Slipmip

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
11
0
I myself just broke down today and ordered a black macbook, but I've needed one since Sept for school. Holding out just wasn't an option for me anymore, but if you can you should definitely wait. No reason not to, right?
 

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
149
0
Hellsinki
MikeyWord said:
Im really waiting for the Core 2 Duo cpu to get in there (64bit) and a better graphics chip, probably still integrated =(
The graphics will stay the same until Santa Rosa arrives next year.
 

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
1,505
18
Paddyland
I'd go for it now (but then I have just recently got a MacBook and love it), but if you want to wait you should allow a couple of weeks to familiarise yourself with the new OS to get yourself up and running and about 3 weeks for delivery (if ordering online). Allow a bit for Christmas delivery and demand issues too. That puts some time in mid November as your cut off date.
 

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
381
1
Jasonbot said:
nooooooo save yourself fr a UG, its worth it. I'm goanna laugh @ all of you when my macC2Dbook comes :D
I'm sure many using their macbook atm are laughing at you now too :D
 

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
425
0
appleinsider, whose track record is pretty good lately, says at least the macbook pro's are being updated very soon.
 

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
333
0
general rule

if you need it, get it. if you don't need it, wait. something better will always come out.
 

barkins

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
169
2
Encino, CA
kgarchar said:
general rule

if you need it, get it. if you don't need it, wait. something better will always come out.
Agreed.

Although I'm currently without a laptop, only a POS PC, I'm still willing to continue to wait for the Merom MacBook Pro, because I can afford to wait.

However, if it's for your job or whatever, then by all means go for it.

Need before greed! :cool:
 

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
160
0
i bought my mbp in august when there was speculation that it would be upgraded. surprise surprise, we are now october and nothing has changed.

if you want it, and can afford it, go for it. i am a switcher. the joy you will get from using a computer that doesn't crash and just works will make you very happy. seriously, it's an absolute pleasure to use. my vaio which is barely a year old is now just an expensive paper weight. i never looked back.

i can say in all honesty that if a newer, faster, mbp comes out next week, it wouldn't bother me in the least. i've already enjoyed 2 months of pain free, even fun, computing.
 

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
19,269
30
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't see the Macbook line getting C2D until next spring at the earliest. I think they'll update the Macbook along witht he Mac Mini.

In any case, I'd just buy one now. Even if it gets updated you'll still have a great machine, you could play the waiting game forever.