Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
...retailers like Bestbuy and Target will still sell them until their stocks run it, will they?
If yes, they'll probably give some additional discount? Or what do you think?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
...retailers like Bestbuy and Target will still sell them until their stocks run it, will they?
If yes, they'll probably give some additional discount? Or what do you think?

First, we don't know when the 5 will be discontinued, or if it will be for sure, at all. It's all rumors at this point.

I PERSONALLY think it will be discontinued to make room for the 5C and 5S.

That said, Apple will probably push the remaining inventory to the supply chain and allow retailers to discount to a certain level to drive demand. It looks like many retailers ran summer promotions discounting the device down $50-100 already.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
If the 5 is being discontinued, and I am betting it is, the retailers will stop ordering and run their stock down to zero before the 5S is introduced.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Normally the follow on S model has a higher quality since most of the bugs should be worked out. So I disagree with your post on the S model being higher quality..

I think he was saying that the iPhone 5 will be of higher quality than the iPhone 5C.

Edit: Nevermind... Apparently wasn't....

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why do so many people think that the 5 will be discontinued? The 4 and 4s are still in production.

If anything, those models will be discontinued as Apple probably wants everyone on some version of the 5 so they don't have to worry about supporting the old connectors and can focus on apps that are optimized for the longer screen.

I suspect they may be going for an "iPhone 5 for everyone!" marketing strategy where the 5c is the budget model, the 5 remains as a midrange option, and the 5s is the premium.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
It won't be discontinued. Anyone want to put up money? I know several secure online betting sites..

Kuo is a Taiwan securities informant. The rumor has his name attached.

I'm an avid gambler on line and at Macau/Australia/Vegas. Even if it is available for bets, the margin of profit is so low it won't be worth one's time. Unless you bet that it WON'T be discontinued, which would be a very profitable bet if you would win.

Go for it.

The smart money is on Kuo's rumor.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why do so many people think that the 5 will be discontinued? The 4 and 4s are still in production.

If anything, those models will be discontinued as Apple probably wants everyone on some version of the 5 so they don't have to worry about supporting the old connectors and can focus on apps that are optimized for the longer screen.

I suspect they may be going for an "iPhone 5 for everyone!" marketing strategy where the 5c is the budget model, the 5 remains as a midrange option, and the 5s is the premium.
I agree on why the non lightning models would go away. I also think the iPhone 5 will go away.

Having only the 5S/5C would make sure they're offing phones with only the latest LTE support. It would also start the timer on when they can drop the iPhone 5 from iOS updates.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm interested to see what is, and isn't included in the 5C vs. the 5S. Is it cheaper to manufacture, and introduce a completely new phone the 5C, vs. selling the iPhone 5 at a discount?

Last edited:

emscie

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
How much is a brand new one, 16 Gb, black, factory unlocked unsealed one reselling for?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If the 5 is being discontinued, and I am betting it is, the retailers will stop ordering and run their stock down to zero before the 5S is introduced.

How would the retailers know that the iPhone 5 will be discontinued? Wouldn't that just mean open season for leaks?

Amrut223

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
I don't think the iPhone 5 will get discontinued. That's never happened in apples history. They will for sure discontinue the 4. As for the 4S I am not 100% sure.

They have sold the 4S at a cheaper price while still making profit when the 5 was released and there is no reason why they can't do the same this time around.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
How would the retailers know that the iPhone 5 will be discontinued? Wouldn't that just mean open season for leaks?

They do not, but they DO know that a new model is to arrive next month and they will order accordingly.

I do think that retailers like AT&T, at the very top, know more than just rumors.

----------

I don't think the iPhone 5 will get discontinued. That's never happened in apples history. They will for sure discontinue the 4. As for the 4S I am not 100% sure.

They have sold the 4S at a cheaper price while still making profit when the 5 was released and there is no reason why they can't do the same this time around.

When was the last time that Apple introduced TWO iPhones?

The 5 will only get in the way of the 5C.

You can stick a fork in it as it is done!

Amrut223

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
I guess only time will tell. It isn't even confirmed that they are releasing 2 phone. While its highly probable it does not mean its going to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.