When the 5 gets discontinued...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

...retailers like Bestbuy and Target will still sell them until their stocks run it, will they?
    If yes, they'll probably give some additional discount? Or what do you think?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

First, we don't know when the 5 will be discontinued, or if it will be for sure, at all. It's all rumors at this point.

I PERSONALLY think it will be discontinued to make room for the 5C and 5S.

That said, Apple will probably push the remaining inventory to the supply chain and allow retailers to discount to a certain level to drive demand. It looks like many retailers ran summer promotions discounting the device down $50-100 already.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If the 5 is being discontinued, and I am betting it is, the retailers will stop ordering and run their stock down to zero before the 5S is introduced.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd expect discounts. Apple may even sell some units on the refurb section.

5. venetian-glass macrumors newbie

I'd hoard them. They'll be higher quality than what's replacing it you'd make a killing.

6. Motherload0211 macrumors member

Normally the follow on S model has a higher quality since most of the bugs should be worked out. So I disagree with your post on the S model being higher quality..

7. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Veneto, is this you with a new log on name ?

8. venetian-glass macrumors newbie

I don't think people will know the difference.

9. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

I think he was saying that the iPhone 5 will be of higher quality than the iPhone 5C.

Edit: Nevermind... Apparently wasn't....

10. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Good, you got it Flying Kite. And he got it wrong.....Again ;)

11. venetian-glass macrumors newbie

Yes, I meant the 5C.

I think we know more about the 5C than the 5S.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

It won't be discontinued. Anyone want to put up money? I know several secure online betting sites..

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Why do so many people think that the 5 will be discontinued? The 4 and 4s are still in production.

If anything, those models will be discontinued as Apple probably wants everyone on some version of the 5 so they don't have to worry about supporting the old connectors and can focus on apps that are optimized for the longer screen.

I suspect they may be going for an "iPhone 5 for everyone!" marketing strategy where the 5c is the budget model, the 5 remains as a midrange option, and the 5s is the premium.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Someone is hoping to get a 5 for a song.

15. James717 macrumors regular

Kuo is a Taiwan securities informant. The rumor has his name attached.

I'm an avid gambler on line and at Macau/Australia/Vegas. Even if it is available for bets, the margin of profit is so low it won't be worth one's time. Unless you bet that it WON'T be discontinued, which would be a very profitable bet if you would win.

Go for it.

The smart money is on Kuo's rumor.

16. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

They can keep the 5 in stock after the 5C is out, we'll wait and see :)

17. Bear macrumors G3

I agree on why the non lightning models would go away. I also think the iPhone 5 will go away.

Having only the 5S/5C would make sure they're offing phones with only the latest LTE support. It would also start the timer on when they can drop the iPhone 5 from iOS updates.

18. ChrisTX, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm interested to see what is, and isn't included in the 5C vs. the 5S. Is it cheaper to manufacture, and introduce a completely new phone the 5C, vs. selling the iPhone 5 at a discount?

19. Motherload0211 macrumors member

You are probably right. The poster has been banned....Again :D

20. emscie macrumors newbie

How much is a brand new one, 16 Gb, black, factory unlocked unsealed one reselling for?

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Haha, yeah I noticed afterwards, and edited that post since I couldn't delete it. Ah well.

22. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

How would the retailers know that the iPhone 5 will be discontinued? Wouldn't that just mean open season for leaks?

23. Amrut223 macrumors newbie

I don't think the iPhone 5 will get discontinued. That's never happened in apples history. They will for sure discontinue the 4. As for the 4S I am not 100% sure.

They have sold the 4S at a cheaper price while still making profit when the 5 was released and there is no reason why they can't do the same this time around.

24. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They do not, but they DO know that a new model is to arrive next month and they will order accordingly.

I do think that retailers like AT&T, at the very top, know more than just rumors.

----------

When was the last time that Apple introduced TWO iPhones?

The 5 will only get in the way of the 5C.

You can stick a fork in it as it is done!

25. Amrut223 macrumors newbie

I guess only time will tell. It isn't even confirmed that they are releasing 2 phone. While its highly probable it does not mean its going to.