when the battery is in my MacBook my screen goes black and mac to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacMan'95, May 26, 2011.

1. MacMan'95 macrumors newbie

ive just finished building my macbook core 2 duo laptop, im currently typing on it now and it is fully working excluding the issue regarding the battery, The battery is fully working as i have tried it on a different macbook, i dont know why but everytime i place it into the macbook the screen goes black and the macbook goes to sleep,i have taken it apart and checked the connection from the battery to the logic board and i have also replaced the part, has any one else had a similar issue? is there any way to resolve it?

Jake 

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Try a different known-good battery, just in case. If you've already swapped the battery board, then what's left is the logic board.

Btw, make sure you're using the correct battery board. There are two different types, and you can tell the difference by the number of pins where it connects to the logic board. One type has fewer pins, so it'll still plug into the older logic boards, but you'll have strange issues. The newer logic boards won't let you plug in the older battery boards because the holes are filled in.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC, instructions for which are in the following link under CHARGING.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. Flawd macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having the same problem here. At least 10 Google searches and 5 forum searches brought me here. Two different working batteries tested. Resetting the SMC didn't help either.

TL;DR: Battery causes macbook to go to sleep, no matter what.

Here's the exact circumstances:

If the battery and A/C adapter are plugged in, the computer will start and show the gray background for about 1/4 of a second then go blank. Not dim, just blank. Pressing the power button again will turn it off immediately.

If I wait at least a minute before pressing the power button, the screen lights up for another 1/4 second showing a blue background and nothing else then goes to sleep.

Bringing it back from sleep gives the same result. 1/4 second blue background then blank.

One time when resuming from sleep I did see the login screen.

If the A/C adapter is plugged in and the battery is removed, it starts up fine.

If the battery is installed while it is on, the screen goes blank almost immediately and the laptop power light indicates that it has gone to sleep after a couple seconds.

Pressing the power button again to resume from sleep did bring up the screen again for about 1 second this time. After it comes up, it goes back to sleep.

Pulling the A/C adapter at any time while the battery is in will power off the laptop indicating the laptop isn't getting any power from the battery.

When initially plugged in, the light on the magnetic plug is red, but after a minute or two it turns green.

5. Jimbo3004 macrumors newbie

Jimbo3004

I am getting the same issue. Do we have any updates?