When the President's Remarks about Black History Month Turn Into Bragging/Complaining

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 1, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.ajc.com/news/national-go...nd-frederick-douglass/y30J2LYtgmtv0gW42Qh9bM/

Some nice remarks. It's a shame he kicks it off with bragging about the election. It's time to move on. The election was in November. And it's too early to campaign for 2020.

Spending 1/4 or 1/5 or however long it took to play victim and slam the media during these remarks is just sad.

What could have been a very good commentary was dragged down by ego and thin skin.

It would be great if he could make one speech or one set of remarks and focus on the actual person/issue/etc and not make it about himself.

2. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Not every imaginable thing Trump does warrants a complaint.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Meh...

His pokes at CNN are well deserved IMO. They do nothing but criticize and go after him so fair is fair. He only spent about :10 of the first 1:40 poking fun at them. The last :20 he spent talking about living up to his commitments made in the campaign and IMO that was a nice bridge into the rest of their meeting. I have no doubt he will keep that commitment too.

I do agree with shinji on his comments. The constant barrage of complaints and riots and marches, etc. whatever else isn't helping the cause of those who oppose him. It's just noise for the sake of noise at this point.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it's a well established fact Trump will take every opportunity he possibly can to make self affirming statements.

I do agree with some others here that to me I get the sense people are complaining just for the sake of complaining. I'm afraid the outrage about inconsequential nothingness will only detract from the meaningful outrage.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

His go at the media is showing exactly how weak he is. He is allowing one, if not multiple media networks to get under his skin so bad that he has to take their bait and complain about them.

That shows, completely and totally, how cowardly and weak Trump is. We've had invalids and paraplegics as POTUS with stronger spines.

BL.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

if he was a normal politician I would agree with you. It's not even the businessman in him that's responding. His background from the Apprentice and as an entertainer which is all about sarcasm and drama is what you're seeing respond. he's trolling them just like they do him and the other entertainers you see are doing.

I don't see it as weak, IMO it's just his way of "entertaining" and keeping the drama going. Feels like reality TV and that's exactly what he wants and they are continually feeding him what he wants. You, me and others may not like it but it's a tactic that has worked well for him. Notice how the room reacted....they weren't appalled, shocked or mad. They laughed and were entertained.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Was CNN there? If the focus should be on Black History Month - what purpose does it serve to derail the subject into a rant. It's a shame. Most of the rest of the comments were OK. Not great, but OK. But he had to make it about him. He needs to learn a modicum of self control.

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

He is not an entertainer, reality TV star or whatever now he is the POTUS and surely gaining some self control and self respect might I add would be a good idea as every day of his Presidency is going to be torture for him and everyone else.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He's battling in a political world and fighting the fight a different way. One that has some merit given it worked and has the opposition on their heels.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    I guess we'll have to disagree to a degree. This was a 2:20 clip whereby about 10 seconds was his. He simply bridged the last 20 seconds. It wasn't about him. Our opinion doesn't really matter anyway, those in the room seem to be laughing and fine.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What's good for the goose .....

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You're watching the abbreviated clip? Read the transcript.

13. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Granted it worked in the elections, with a little help from Hillary but I just get the feeling he is swinging punches in the dark, like he's winging it and I think some day he will come un-stuck, hopefully he won't destroy the world in the process.

14. jerwin macrumors 65816

As long as he is able to channel his psychic pain against the American people, I think he'll do fine. Cringe for his sake!

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I think Trump has gotten under someone's skin to the extent they whine and complain and exaggerate endlessly. Are they cowardly and weak? Mmmmmm?

Postelection is turning out even better than preelection.

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

President Trump is settling into his role as Commander-in-Chief, quite nicely. Looking forward to a businessman leading the country for the next 4 years ... had more than enough of movie stars and career politicos running around Washington for the last number of years.

All this rabble will quickly die down when the American people tire of the 24 hour news cycle media and the media polling showing viewing numbers way down.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think you're now underestimating the other side. Time will tell.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There is a difference between exerting your right to free speech while not in office, and using your office as a bully pulpit to berate an entity who is granted their right to speak and print as they see fit.

As others have previously noted, it is their right to say what they want to say; Trump does not have the right to be offended.

BL.

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm still waiting for the first time he doesn't use the phrases "African Americans" and "inner cities" in the same paragraph.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Wait I thought everybody had the right to be offended nowadays?

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

You know you're right. Let's go burn something and break into a Starbucks to steal some coffee just to express ourselves.