When The White House Asks For Help on Prioritization

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 27, 2017.

1. samcraig, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

Was this done by any other administration? I ask sincerely. Because I don't remember if they have.

But it looks like Trump once again needs some high fives on alleged accomplishments to make himself feel better. And also help on how to do his job. I though he, alone could do everything and that he knew better than anyone what needed to get done.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/joint-ad...tent=20170226_ADM_JSOC_pre-issues-survey#page

Also - it's Trump - why isn't he doing this via a Twitter poll?

2. zin macrumors 6502

This is getting sad. If you're still nitpicking like this by the year's end, you'll lose the midterms as well as 2020.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not any sadder than you replying over and over for anyone to get over something or that we're all doomed for the midterms and 2020. Keep your head in the sand if you like.

How about answering the question - has any other administration send out a survey like this? And at the 30(ish) day mark?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Heaven forbid they reach out to the American people to see what priorities are important to them. Would you rather him listen to all the lobbyist?

It is pretty clear President Trump has an agenda and priorities already so getting input from another source is not a bad thing.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

He could always setup an email address asking the public to submit fishy claims about his policies.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Make up your mind.
    Is he a dictator, or is he someone looking for citizen input?

Seriously, what's the problem with a survey to gather some info? They just published it on the web as opposed to pay some pollster to make phone calls.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He can be both. Gaining feedback doesn't negate someone acting like a dictator.

What's the problem? Like I implied - it seems a bit premature. Why not 6 months from now when he has some real accomplishments under his belt. And people can assess the job he's doing vs what he says he's doing.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    If he listened to the majority of the people in this country - he would delete his twitter account and step down ;) Kidding mostly on the latter - but definitely not on the former.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

FWIW, you don't need to select any option in the first two questions.

I wrote a missive and put it in the "What would you like the White House to do?" text box (or whatever it's labeled), basically directly countering several of Trump's higher-profile actions, trying to make my options sound a hundred percent better. Who knows if anyone will read it, though.

If I get more spam email from the WH later, I'll just unsubscribe and adjust my spam filter.

BTW -- anyone else besides me feel disappointed by the tone of the first Trump-era WH emails compared to Obama's? I felt like I was looking at clickbait articles instead of professional, well-read policy remarks.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Looked at the questions. Unprofessional, skewed "survey" designed to appeal to Trump voters only (the minority, I might add). This is just Trump trying to lie to himself with (ostensibly) citizen backup. A total sham. Sad.

That aside, fishing for direction so soon reveals his cluelessness. If he'd run his campaign like an adult (instead of all his "Build that wall", "Lock her up", "Little Marco" and other juvenile nonsense) he'd already know what he's supposed to be doing in his new job.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It's got nothing to do with "fishing for direction", I'd say.

I think someone was directed to write a survey (there's no way Trump wrote any code himself) and came up with these question-response combos to placate Trump's ego.

There's also no "strongly disagree-to-strongly agree" scale. I think those kinds of survey questions seem silly just because they're everywhere, but now I realize why they're everywhere: they allow respondents to say, "No, this answer/policy/issue is a terrible idea," without having to take even more time to write about it.

I also think someone's gathering a list of respondents. Not really sure if it's a good idea for privacy, though...

11. zin macrumors 6502

But isn't that just the problem? Donald Trump is in office and asking for public input on his campaign priorities, a bad thing according to you, and the Democrats haven't even begun to work out why they got a thrashing on things like trade and foreign policy.

Instead they're dotted around the internet attacking him for not attending a dinner or asking for public input on his policies.

As for your question, I don't know. Probably not. No other recent president would want to be humiliated by asking for input on promises they obviously had no intention of keeping.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think you're reading too much into it... it's just a survey, one of the many the WH does during the year.
    As for deleting twitter account... well, we can negotiate!

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The irony.

You have no idea what the left is doing. You are making suppositions. Also - they can attack him AND work out why the lost the election and how they are going to win the next.

Is asking for input bad? No. I question the manner in which it has been executed and the timing.

And I posted about the dinner - I don't think he should go. He's roasted daily and everyone will have a better time without him.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just sent in a form with no choices selected, but two comments:

Making American great again:
    Bipartisanship- The Trump Administration should start listening to the other 51% of the populace who did not vote for for them, otherwise we'll be spending the next four years fighting. This country is deeply divided, and trying to shove an agenda down the other half's throat is not going to work well at all, and won't make us great, just drag us down. Listening only to the minority who elected President Trump will not solve our issues, but make things worse.

Stop attacking the press. A free watchdog press, it's their job and it's in the Constitution. And for jobs, you'd better be looking at the looming jobs automation crisis.

Additional Comments:
    I made no choices above for the following reasons.
    Your poll does not give citizens a chance to tell you what they want President Trump to do about the long list of issues. Hint: We are not all on the same page. For example Taxes, raise or lower, and for whom? What you think should be done about Energy and Environment, regulations and other issues is in many cases not what I think should be done.

Secondly you are inviting citizens to give their approval for things you describe as being significant, like dragging us back to oil (the pipeline is mischaracterized as jobs, when in reality it's a gift to big oil, sold as jobs, when in reality it's mostly temp jobs, and very few permanent jobs), making other job creation gestures (giving tax breaks to save 1000 jobs is symbolic and a doubled edged sword), nominating a SCOTUS judge, telling the DOD to develop a plan to defeat ISIS... really on the last two items? You think that we should think, it took President Trump to tell the DOD to come up with an ISIS plan... and that is a significant accomplishment??

These are small steps, symbolic gestures , and in some cases moves in the wrong direction, pushing anti-Obama rhetoric, and anti-regulation, and other steps backwards, just because Big Business needs coddling, while not questioning why these regulations were created in the first place. Keep in mind, we are not all as gullible as rank and file Trump followers.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it would be a first for trump to take advice from others. his great brain is usually his best source.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    well trump just asked for 54b extra on the defense budget. man that guy is saving us money left and right.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I looked over the list at the top of the thing and bailed. Whatever I have to say I'll say to my Congressman, a Republican freshman to whom I've been polite so far, and past that to my senators, Schumer and Gillibrand.

It seems late in the day to run this if they mean to tweak the Tuesday speech around it, unless they just want to cite the results, like "we got 95% of the respondents saying they want us to do this first!",,,, re whatever it was came in at the top.

I don't want to be on their WH mailing list at least not at the moment. To the devil with politics, spring is around the corner and so I have gone for getting onto seed catalog mailing lists instead!

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. Spin direction is what I meant.

Policy direction is pathologically inflexible. The survey's a dead giveaway.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Protesting dinners, bathrooms, and, earlier in the year, setting fire to vehicles and buildings.

Has Nancy Pelosi made any effort to change the party's message on trade since the election? Did Chuck Schumer say anything at all when Trump formally killed TPP? Have the Democrats said anything at all to the steel worker in Ohio about regaining their trust? Have Democrats in Congress said they will work with Trump by providing him the authority to negotiate new trade deals?

The Democratic Party cares more about which bathroom transgender Mexican illegal immigrants use than they do about American workers.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Says you. There's a protest over the dinner? Really? Or just some side comments? The bathroom issue is larger than where someone pees. And you can drop the setting fire to vehicles and buildings as if it were commonplace.

20. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You mean, like quantum spin? That's Justin Trudeau's wheelhouse, not Trump's. ;)

21. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Does it really matter when the Republican party controls both The House and the Senate? Nancy Pelosi is the equivalent of the Queen of England. Trump is issuing executive orders, he's bypassing Congress.

Perhaps we should turn more like a dictatorship where protesting against the POTUS gets you arrested.

Don't worry, we'll get all these illegal Mexican immigrants out of here so that those American workers can get their landscaping and busboy jobs back. And yes, all those factories that have long gone will come back soon, all of them, even those that got replaced by technology. Trump will make American Great Again, complete with tin lunch boxes and all.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Tin lunch boxes, hmm.. Give up our tiffins and bento boxes? Or is Trump ordering those back whence they came.

Maybe Trump should go back to reading polls.

Latest one from McClatchy/Marist says 65% of Americans want Trump to quit tweeting (v 25% say keep it up).

And, 67% say they trust their favored news source more than they do Trump (v 29% who trust the Don).

Don't think they asked about the lunch boxes.

Pending surprise for those replacing immigrants: there's not always a lunch break anyway.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

FAKE POLL! FAKE NEWS!

24. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Here's what I wrote in that box:

"Denounce hate crimes, especially the recent spate of incidents caused by white nationalists emboldened by Trump and Bannon. Provide a better path to citizenship which will encourage immigrants to participate and grow our economy. Expand the Affordable Care Act to such a degree that health care becomes universally available, because our people are our most valuable resource. Respect the indigenous peoples of this continent, who have been suffering under the boot of colonial expansion for over five hundred years. Reinforce our commitment to the United Nations, who have expected the United States to continue our leadership role among the world's most influential economies. Direct the energy sector towards modern, clean sources of energy, which will shift jobs away from coal (which isn't going to make a comeback) and into new technology, and will also demonstrate our nation's leadership in preparing the future for the world's children. Re-commit to the Trans-Pacific Partnership to help reinforce international laws protecting our intellectual properties from theft and counterfeit products. Increase transparency and accountability of our police departments, increase police training standards, and encourage community outreach to regain the public's trust."

Then, under Additional Comments, I just said:

"The world is watching. Don’t screw this up. 2018 will be here sooner than you realize."