When to buy Beats by Dre?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacDaddy901, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MacDaddy901 macrumors 6502

Hey there. I have come to the conclusion that I want Beats by Dre. I know people have mixed feelings on them, but that is not the discussion at hand. I have already decided these are headphones that I want to purachse. I know these headphones have been around for a year or so and after a google search I couldn't find anything on weather a newer version is coming out, (besides the new Solos or In-ear), or if a price cut was in store.

So... should give it a couple months or just buy them already?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Never is the real answer.
    I would doubt given the introduction of the Solo model, I would doubt we are going to see an update to the original ones soon.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why do you want these headphones? Is it the style? I know it can't be the sound… so what would compel you to want the next version? You know some headphones take a few years to be updated?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Like the PortaPros?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

PortaPros are pretty good for the price they command.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Oh, we can get to a much longer headphone discussion. My comment was solely directed at getting updated or not getting updated.

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

The answer is never.

I don't care that you have made up your mind.

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The over the ear ones are pretty sweet. I can't say they're $300 sweet, but they sound good on the optimized music they play at the Best Buy display. If you're thinking about the in-ear ones don't even bother. They suck.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'll join the chorus and say look elsewhere, if you want real studio headphones - try the Shure SRH840.

10. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

what exactly are you looking for in a headphone?

there are better headphones out there for cheaper, i'd recommend in-ears though.

i remember being at the gym and seeing a guy going around lifting weights with his beats on and thinking "why?"

11. MacDaddy901 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I give don't a crap what you think about the beats. If you have an opinion about them go somewhere else and rant. I know your $150 headphone sound better to you, I don't care. What I do care about it my original question.

And if you are wondering why I want these particular headphones here's why. I spend hours a day with headphones on and these are truly the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I can't stand in ear or on ear, and most over ear are heavy or uncomfortable. Also they fold up, a huge plus for me. I like them. The sound is good. The price tag doesn't bother me. That's my opinion. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

12. travisjacques macrumors member

You asked in your original post if you should wait a couple months. What headphones are you using now? If you can wait a couple months, chances are you dont need these headphones. Just wait and something better/cheaper will come along.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You already answered your own question. They meet all your criteria for a good buy and you can afford the price. The next models may be better, hardly noticeable or repainted and given another celebrity name. They may not even be replaced for several years if they follow the Bose wave radio business plan.

Given other peoples posts these headphones seem to be using a famous name rather than quality to sell the product. Therefore they do not have a reason to update them anytime soon. When they can just keep milking the name without spending on R&D. The only real reason I can see for them adding the on ear and in ear headphones is to cover all product lines.

By the way there is no need to be rude. It makes people less inclined to want to help you. They felt the need to warn you off from what they considered to be a bad choice. Which I would accept as credible. Given Monster's history of overpriced cables. Further that they are an A/V cable company suddenly producing headphones. While charging higher prices than speaker and headphone companies with decades of experience.

Further unless Dr. Dre has actually gotten a degree in engineering I highly doubt that he designed those headphones. Nor do I believe Lady Gaga actually designed and built the preproduction prototypes of the heartbeats.

14. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

The original poster expressed his desire to keep the thread focused on possible availability of The Beats headphones and more so essentially asked that anyone responding please respect his choice in purchase, that his mind is already made up...

... but you guys just can't be respectful can you?

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have suggested my thoughts on when to buy them, I would seriously look at Shure's new line of headphones. They fold-up and to me, are easily the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried on/owned. You may not like them, especially since I find the Beats not so comfortable and the Shures comfortable, but before you spend a good amount on headphones, iThink it's worth a shot of at least trying.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the OP made up his mind he wouldn't be wondering about the next iteration of the headphone. ;)

17. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Not really. For example, you may have made up your mind your next purchase will be a MacBook Pro, that doesn't mean you wouldn't ponder if the next MBP revision is around the corner. He settled on a brand, asked not to question his choice of brand, simply asked if anyone here had a better understanding of when Monster may release a successor to the current model.

To the OP, I advise you buy today. I would guess its gonna be awhile before we see any revision of that headphone and the sooner you buy, the sooner you will benefit from the comfort those headphones provide.

18. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

According to this article, Monster is soon to release P-Ditty's line of ear-phones as well as a line for Lady Gaga, as someone else in this thread mentioned. I would make a guess, knowing that in-ear headphones are whats selling right now, and presume that Monster are focused on expanding their in-ear offerings at the moment and that they won't revisit Dr. Dre's The Beats until much later down the road, if ever.

19. MacDaddy901 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. This is all I wanted to know.

And to you "velocityg4" I don't mean to come off rude. I find it frustrating that I clearly told people I didn't want their opinion of the headphones themselves. I know many of you don't like them, and just wanted advice as to when to buy. Yes the price isn't really a problem to me, but iof I can get them for cheaper then why not.

20. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i'm in the buy now camp then. you might want to wait til black friday just in case there's a discount, but otherwise go.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

22. dabigone macrumors regular

I just got mine from ebay w/ the 10% bing discount. W/ ebay bucks it comes out to around 210.
    For you audiophile snobs, show me a comparable headphone that doesn't require me to be amped up on the go, or doesn't require me to wrap 10' of cable somewhere and can answer calls with my iphone.
    There isn't a better headphone mated to the iphone, IMHO.

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

(Hits head on desk)