When to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Michaelg, May 30, 2004.

  1. Michaelg macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2004
    I am about to take the plunge and buy my first Mac. I am looking at the 20" imac G4 and will be using it primarily as a work tool (word processing, data base etc). Should I buy now or wait in the event that new more powerful versions are on the way?
    I currently run a PC with Pentium 4 2.4 chip and 512 memory and am sick of Windows and viruses. Advise appreciated.
  2. virividox macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the imac hasnt been updated in a while

    rumors say imac g5 at wwdc

    so who knows wait until then then purchase
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I would not buy the 20" iMac. You are paying far to much money for a screen that can never be used again after you realize that you've just paid a fortune for seriously out of date technology, and need somehting faster (especially coming from a 2.4GHz P4!).
    Until the iMac gets a G5 (even a 1.6) it is a complete rip off IMO.
  4. wide macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2004
    The current iMacs will not be faster than your PC, and the iMac 20-inch is definately a rip-off anyway, because you cannot use the screen again (like virividox said).

    I would wait until WWDC and buy one of the new PowerMac G5s. Would you mind using your current PC's screen for your new Mac? That would probably be the best choice.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I agree with everyone else. It would be best to wait till after WWDC. It's just four weeks away.
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
    I disagree about the 20'' being a rip off anyway, BUT, i would certainly NOT buy one now because with the current specs, every iMac is a ripoff

Share This Page