When to charge your iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by armoredsaint, Sep 25, 2012.

1. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

Curious to see how low do you let it get before you re-charge it? Is there a rule of thumb or does that not apply to li-ion batteries?

2. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

3. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

4. noobinator macrumors 601

Charge it when you need more juice or when it dies.

Simple as that.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The batteries have only a limited number of charge cycles in them, why incur a cycle when you don't need too? I avoid deep draining the batteries on my phones and they typically last longer then those who don't avoid such actions.

I would not recommend deep draining a new battery, as it will not really improve the longevity of the battery.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Charge it when you need to or when you have the opportunity to. There is no real, set "best" practice for this.

The only thing that matters is that you're using the battery now and then, as opposed to just constantly keeping the phone charged and never unplugging it.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

These batteries last longest when you top them off regularly. When you let them die completely and then charge you actually shock the battery and damage it slightly. Probably not enough to matter, but its not good for the battery.

The reason Apple suggests you let it die once a month is to calibrate the battery indicator display.

Letting it drop to 50% and charging twice is exactly the same in cycles as letting it drop to 75% and charging 4 times. A full cycle is 100% no matter how you count it, so you do not shorten the life by charging frequently.

These batteries have no memory affect.

8. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

charge it when ever you need too. when it dies take it to apple and they will change it :D

or see what thewitt wrote above. ^-^

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Meh, I charge it whenever I feel the need. I never purposely drain it. Owned every iPhone, never had battery issues. Just enjoy it.

10. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

I'm just stating what lots of apple employees and applecare support agents have told me.

m

11. mzd macrumors 6502a

i do one full charge/discharge/charge when new and then after that charge whenever i get below 20% for the most part.
    that was what i did with my ip4 anyway and the orig battery is still going strong two years later. no noticeable loss in capacity at all.
    so i'm sticking with the same routine with my new ip5.